Article on radio announcers' commercials during the games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on radio announcers' commercials during the games

Seemed interesting, and it's about the ever-present commercials during the game, including any pauses whatsoever in the game.

Where Pitch Count Means Commercials
    What was John Sterling thinking of in the third inning of yesterday's Texas-Yankees game? A strategy? An anecdote? The suit he would wear to host the inevitable Ross Moschitto "Yankeeography" on the YES Network?

"When I hear top of the third," said Sterling, the grandiose radio pipes of the Yankees on WCBS, "I know what that means to me. I'll tell you in a moment." (He shifted to action: Mark DeRosa flew out.) "The Time Warner Triple Play contest. If the Yankees turn a triple play in the third inning, then Lester James of Brooklyn will win $10,000 and Triple Play service for a year."

Back to the game. D'Angelo Jiménez was up. A 2-2 count. Jaret Wright on the mound. (Wait, I'll tell you more in a minute.) "Visit your local Tri-State Quality Ford dealer," Sterling said, "for the best selling vehicles in America."

It's easy to mock Sterling, but he is a capitalist tool of a station vigorously earning back its estimated $10 million annual rights fee to the Yankees by selling commercial time not only between innings but between batters, between pitches and between the splayed strands of Joe Torre's hair.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Originally posted by Mattingly
    Seemed interesting, and it's about the ever-present commercials during the game, including any pauses whatsoever in the game.

Where Pitch Count Means Commercials
    Sterling is not the only tool. Sandomir is in a whole other kit, himself.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X