Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with the Curve

Coming soon:
    An ailing baseball scout (Clint Eastwood) in his twilight years takes his daughter (Amy Adams) along for one last recruiting trip.

The team appears to be the Atlanta Braves. I give it a thumbs down for Tom Glavine.
    Last edited by Blue387; 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

The Release Date of this movie is now listed as Friday, September 28 by IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base).
    -philliesfiend55-
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I'll see it. Looks a bit like "Gran Torino" meets "For Love of the Game".
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Great movie! Loved it. Don't know if it's family appropriate or not. It has a good bit of language, but that's it. No sex or serious violence.

Comment

Originally posted by clayadams View Post
          Great movie! Loved it. Don't know if it's family appropriate or not. It has a good bit of language, but that's it. No sex or serious violence.
          Loved it too! And I have to agree, the language is not suitable for anyone under 13 (maybe highschool age), but no real violence, and no sex.

My wife really enjoyed this movie too. And Bo Gentry was a hoot; such a douchebag, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
            I'll see it. Looks a bit like "Gran Torino" meets "For Love of the Game".
            Just saw this movie on HBO
            yes the movie 42, got a lot of hype
            but I like this movie more than "42", and "moneyball"

for the fact that yes, computers and sabermetrics can give a hell of a lot information about a player
            but one can never forget about the human factor
            sigpic

Comment

I just watched it on HBO and I hated it. I mean come on, how lucky can a scout get by having his daughter find a prospect from watching him play catch with his younger brother after passing on a kid who was a number one draft pick. The love story between Justin Timberlake and Amy Adams was pretty corny too. I would rank this as one of the worst baseball movies I ever saw. I would rather watch The Benchwarmers.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                I just watched it on HBO and I hated it. I mean come on, how lucky can a scout get by having his daughter find a prospect from watching him play catch with his younger brother after passing on a kid who was a number one draft pick. The love story between Justin Timberlake and Amy Adams was pretty corny too. I would rank this as one of the worst baseball movies I ever saw. I would rather watch The Benchwarmers.
                how lucky can a scout get?
                they do get lucky all the time, as talent can be found anywhere
                many a time, scouts are watching a game for a certain player
                and end up evaluating and recommending someone else
                as the saying goes "someone thats OFF the radar"

sports Illustrated just publish an article on #1 picks in baseball
                unlike other sports, most MLB #1 picks don't live up to the hype
                again MOST
                http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-since-1985/1/
                http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...2_a5&eref=sihp

yes "trouble with the curve" has its Hollywood moments, and Hollywood ending
                just like "benchwarmers"

but again, I was referring to the fact of the movie that sabermetrics ALONE
                can NOT tell everything about a player, you also need the human factor
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                  how lucky can a scout get?
                  they do get lucky all the time, as talent can be found anywhere
                  many a time, scouts are watching a game for a certain player
                  and end up evaluating and recommending someone else
                  as the saying goes "someone thats OFF the radar"

sports Illustrated just publish an article on #1 picks in baseball
                  unlike other sports, most MLB #1 picks don't live up to the hype
                  again MOST
                  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-since-1985/1/
                  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...2_a5&eref=sihp

yes "trouble with the curve" has its Hollywood moments, and Hollywood ending
                  just like "benchwarmers"

but again, I was referring to the fact of the movie that sabermetrics ALONE
                  can NOT tell everything about a player, you also need the human factor
                  All i'm saying is this movie could have been alot better and if you actually liked this better than Moneyball then I respect that but liking it over Moneyball because it's Hollywoods way of showing up Saber Stats is kinda old fashioned. Now if they had left the whole love story out of this and focused on why the human factor still plays a big part of scouting then I would liked it more. It's a chick flick and a bad one at that.

It was pretty predictable too. I think everyone knew peanut boy would eventually show up the cocky kid. Peanut boy with no training had the mechanics of Sandy Koufax, How do you not find that corny?
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

All i'm saying is this movie could have been alot better and if you actually liked this better than Moneyball then I respect that but liking it over Moneyball because it's Hollywoods way of showing up Saber Stats is kinda old fashioned. Now if they had left the whole love story out of this and focused on why the human factor still plays a big part of scouting then I would liked it more. It's a chick flick and a bad one at that.

It was pretty predictable too. I think everyone knew peanut boy would eventually show up the cocky kid. Peanut boy with no training had the mechanics of Sandy Koufax, How do you not find that corny?
                    chick flick=I would have to agree with you on that especially with amy adams and J.T
                    typical Hollywood and corny
                    yes again with both the ending, peanut boy, gus, and quotes such as "you don't know anything about the game"
                    and others

we are all unique and different taste for different people
                    RESPECT to you as well

by the way the MLB draft is any day now

cheers
                    Doc
                    sigpic

Comment

Too much soap opera, not enough baseball.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        Too much soap opera, not enough baseball.
                        Agreed. If that was indeed Clint Eastwood's final film, it's unfortunate.

One problem I have with "Hollywood" movies is the need for a villain regardless of whether the situation actually calls for one. Yeah, the other scout could be a jerk, but his character was just there to be a dumping ground for the "point" the movie was trying to make. This isn't Shakespeare, you don't have to lay it on so thick with the characters who aren't on the hero's side.

Nowhere near as good as 42 (although that could have been much better) and not as well-acted as Moneyball, IMO. It's fine if you feel differently.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

You got a problem with "The Benchwarmers"?!?!?
                          <puffs up chest>
                          ;^)

That was an incredibly stupid movie, but I honestly get a kick out of some of the stupid humor and love the guy living in the closet and the old guy at the video store...for me, "The Benchwarmers" is 100X better than "The Babe", as the latter was stupid, insulting, AND no fun at all. How can you not like Reggie Jackson playing ding dong ditch?

I had a mild interest in "Trouble With The Curve" because I like Eastwood and Adams, but was leery of the story and it sounds from here like a movie I can live without seeing. Thanks for the info about it.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

I thought it was OK. The ending was incredibly sappy IMO, and the baseball itself was mediocre. As a movie it wasnt bad, Clint plays his role perfectly as always, and Justin Timberlake was actually decent. Not a terrible movie, but not on par with "42" or "Moneyball" IMO. Of course you could have a 2 hour movie of the Brooklyn Dodgers playing pepper and I would love it! ;-)
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                              chick flick=I would have to agree with you on that especially with amy adams and J.T
                              typical Hollywood and corny
                              yes again with both the ending, peanut boy, gus, and quotes such as "you don't know anything about the game"
                              and others

we are all unique and different taste for different people
                              RESPECT to you as well

by the way the MLB draft is any day now

cheers
                              Doc
                              I must admit the movie has made me look at the MLB draft alot differently. The baseball draft always seemed kinda boring but last night it was actually fun to watch.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X