• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonyK
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    You mean Rawhide, right?
    Yeah. I must have mixed him up with his cousin Dirty Henry in Wagon Train. A senior moment I guess.

We always watched Rawhide on Friday nights.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    I rented it this weekend and enjoyed most of it. Anyone could see the barroom almost brawl coming, but the lefty kid throwing to his little brother was a curve thrown in late in the story. Maybe a scene with this pitcher was cut from the final product, and that is why it comes out of left field? Both Clint and Justin are lefties I see.

I've watched Clint Eastwood ever since he starred in Wagon Train and he always grabs your attention and has some snide remark to make. He has had a hall of fame career that's for sure.

I heard a sequel is coming out soon...Trouble With The Scroogie.
    You mean Rawhide, right?

Leave a comment:

• TonyK
    replied
    I rented it this weekend and enjoyed most of it. Anyone could see the barroom almost brawl coming, but the lefty kid throwing to his little brother was a curve thrown in late in the story. Maybe a scene with this pitcher was cut from the final product, and that is why it comes out of left field? Both Clint and Justin are lefties I see.

I've watched Clint Eastwood ever since he starred in Wagon Train and he always grabs your attention and has some snide remark to make. He has had a hall of fame career that's for sure.

I heard a sequel is coming out soon...Trouble With The Scroogie.

Leave a comment:

• NC_Oriole
    replied
    I rented it from the Redbox after finding out that they still have it. I must admit that I really enjoyed it a whole lot more than I thought I would. The only major complaint I would have it that I wish they would have focused on the baseball aspect of the movie a little more, but that's alright.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by drdg View Post
    chick flick=I would have to agree with you on that especially with amy adams and J.T
    typical Hollywood and corny
    yes again with both the ending, peanut boy, gus, and quotes such as "you don't know anything about the game"
    and others

we are all unique and different taste for different people
    RESPECT to you as well

by the way the MLB draft is any day now

cheers
    Doc
    I must admit the movie has made me look at the MLB draft alot differently. The baseball draft always seemed kinda boring but last night it was actually fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    I thought it was OK. The ending was incredibly sappy IMO, and the baseball itself was mediocre. As a movie it wasnt bad, Clint plays his role perfectly as always, and Justin Timberlake was actually decent. Not a terrible movie, but not on par with "42" or "Moneyball" IMO. Of course you could have a 2 hour movie of the Brooklyn Dodgers playing pepper and I would love it! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I just watched it on HBO and I hated it. I mean come on, how lucky can a scout get by having his daughter find a prospect from watching him play catch with his younger brother after passing on a kid who was a number one draft pick. The love story between Justin Timberlake and Amy Adams was pretty corny too. I would rank this as one of the worst baseball movies I ever saw. I would rather watch The Benchwarmers.
    You got a problem with "The Benchwarmers"?!?!?
    <puffs up chest>
    ;^)

That was an incredibly stupid movie, but I honestly get a kick out of some of the stupid humor and love the guy living in the closet and the old guy at the video store...for me, "The Benchwarmers" is 100X better than "The Babe", as the latter was stupid, insulting, AND no fun at all. How can you not like Reggie Jackson playing ding dong ditch?

I had a mild interest in "Trouble With The Curve" because I like Eastwood and Adams, but was leery of the story and it sounds from here like a movie I can live without seeing. Thanks for the info about it.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Too much soap opera, not enough baseball.
    Agreed. If that was indeed Clint Eastwood's final film, it's unfortunate.

One problem I have with "Hollywood" movies is the need for a villain regardless of whether the situation actually calls for one. Yeah, the other scout could be a jerk, but his character was just there to be a dumping ground for the "point" the movie was trying to make. This isn't Shakespeare, you don't have to lay it on so thick with the characters who aren't on the hero's side.

Nowhere near as good as 42 (although that could have been much better) and not as well-acted as Moneyball, IMO. It's fine if you feel differently.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Too much soap opera, not enough baseball.

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    All i'm saying is this movie could have been alot better and if you actually liked this better than Moneyball then I respect that but liking it over Moneyball because it's Hollywoods way of showing up Saber Stats is kinda old fashioned. Now if they had left the whole love story out of this and focused on why the human factor still plays a big part of scouting then I would liked it more. It's a chick flick and a bad one at that.

It was pretty predictable too. I think everyone knew peanut boy would eventually show up the cocky kid. Peanut boy with no training had the mechanics of Sandy Koufax, How do you not find that corny?
    chick flick=I would have to agree with you on that especially with amy adams and J.T
    typical Hollywood and corny
    yes again with both the ending, peanut boy, gus, and quotes such as "you don't know anything about the game"
    and others

we are all unique and different taste for different people
    RESPECT to you as well

by the way the MLB draft is any day now

cheers
    Doc

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by drdg View Post
    how lucky can a scout get?
    they do get lucky all the time, as talent can be found anywhere
    many a time, scouts are watching a game for a certain player
    and end up evaluating and recommending someone else
    as the saying goes "someone thats OFF the radar"

sports Illustrated just publish an article on #1 picks in baseball
    unlike other sports, most MLB #1 picks don't live up to the hype
    again MOST
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-since-1985/1/
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...2_a5&eref=sihp

yes "trouble with the curve" has its Hollywood moments, and Hollywood ending
    just like "benchwarmers"

but again, I was referring to the fact of the movie that sabermetrics ALONE
    can NOT tell everything about a player, you also need the human factor
    All i'm saying is this movie could have been alot better and if you actually liked this better than Moneyball then I respect that but liking it over Moneyball because it's Hollywoods way of showing up Saber Stats is kinda old fashioned. Now if they had left the whole love story out of this and focused on why the human factor still plays a big part of scouting then I would liked it more. It's a chick flick and a bad one at that.

It was pretty predictable too. I think everyone knew peanut boy would eventually show up the cocky kid. Peanut boy with no training had the mechanics of Sandy Koufax, How do you not find that corny?

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    I just watched it on HBO and I hated it. I mean come on, how lucky can a scout get by having his daughter find a prospect from watching him play catch with his younger brother after passing on a kid who was a number one draft pick. The love story between Justin Timberlake and Amy Adams was pretty corny too. I would rank this as one of the worst baseball movies I ever saw. I would rather watch The Benchwarmers.
    how lucky can a scout get?
    they do get lucky all the time, as talent can be found anywhere
    many a time, scouts are watching a game for a certain player
    and end up evaluating and recommending someone else
    as the saying goes "someone thats OFF the radar"

sports Illustrated just publish an article on #1 picks in baseball
    unlike other sports, most MLB #1 picks don't live up to the hype
    again MOST
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-since-1985/1/
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...2_a5&eref=sihp

yes "trouble with the curve" has its Hollywood moments, and Hollywood ending
    just like "benchwarmers"

but again, I was referring to the fact of the movie that sabermetrics ALONE
    can NOT tell everything about a player, you also need the human factor

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I'll see it. Looks a bit like "Gran Torino" meets "For Love of the Game".
    Just saw this movie on HBO
    yes the movie 42, got a lot of hype
    but I like this movie more than "42", and "moneyball"

for the fact that yes, computers and sabermetrics can give a hell of a lot information about a player
    but one can never forget about the human factor

Leave a comment:

• Hank1974
    replied
    Originally posted by clayadams View Post
    Great movie! Loved it. Don't know if it's family appropriate or not. It has a good bit of language, but that's it. No sex or serious violence.
    Loved it too! And I have to agree, the language is not suitable for anyone under 13 (maybe highschool age), but no real violence, and no sex.

My wife really enjoyed this movie too. And Bo Gentry was a hoot; such a douchebag, haha!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X