Babe: The Legend Comes to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    So I finished the book two days ago. I was surprised who much I already knew about Ruth that was covered in the book. But I never have read a Ruth biography before. What I found interesting was some of the things that were not in the book or were covered lightly. For example, Ruth's feud with Lou Gehrig. Creamer covered it in less than a page. In fact Gehrig was hardly mentioned at all it seemed, mostly in terms of Gehrig's failing to match Ruth's HR totals until late in the Babe's career. Ruth was a sad sorry excuse for a husband but I already knew that, just not the extent of it. Apparently, he had little impulse control. And when the topic of divorcing Helen was broached, Ruth responds with "I can't get divorced! I'm Catholic!". I thought Ruth got hosed by Boston Braves owner Emil Fuchs. It seemed there was a giant disconnect between what Fuchs expected and what Ruth expected. I didn't know that both the Tigers and the A's were seriously interested in the Babe becoming manager. I'm amazed Ruth went on vacation to Hawaii instead of speaking to Frank Navin about the Tigers' manager's job. Even Ed Barrow told it was a mistake to delay talking to Navin. I wonder if Ruth wasn't so obstinate about being the Yankees' manager if he could have managed somewhere else? We'll never know for sure.

I enjoyed the book. but the book's ending was strange. It ended so abruptly with Ruth's death without going into detail as to how baseball and the nation reacted to Ruth's death. I thought that would have been a more eloquent closure. I'm thinking of reading other Ruth biographies. Which ones are good?
    Hey Adam,

Congrats on popping your Babe-bio cherry!

I would go with Smelsers bio or Jenkinson's "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs". Jenkinson's is packed with information beyond what the title suggests. The chapter on comparative difficulty, and reading from a historian who breaks down each and every issue, specifically how it relates to Ruth, would open a lot of people's minds.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X