Back in June I was in a really cool Portland (Oregon) bookstore where I bought a copy of Robert Creamer's Babe: The Legend Comes to Life for $5.95. I finally have some to time to read it. I've read the first 100 pages the past two days. The book is fascinating read. I have learned quite a bit of trivia facts about the Babe. I didn't know he spoke German or that there was (is?) some controversy over his actual date of birth. I've always wondered why his parents sent him to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys? Creamer didn't try to speculate. He did have some quotes from Ruth's sister about how Ruth wouldn't go to school as a reason for sending Ruth to St. Mary's. I thought it was impressive that Ruth went from playing baseball at St. Mary's to playing for the Baltimore Orioles to the Red Sox in a matter of about four months in 1914. It seems like Ruth was disappointed that he was sent back down to Providence of the International League after his time with the Red Sox. It was odd that Red Sox manager Bill Carrigan didn't play Ruth for an entire month. I'll post more as a I read more...