Soul of the Game - Negro League Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul of the Game - Negro League Movie

Anyone seen this? I'm gonna bookmark and watch when I have time. I have a feeling there will be many things that need to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe not quite to the John Goodman's "The Babe" level, but it'll be interesting.

ps. I don't know how to embed the video, so if someone else could do it, that'd be cool :gt

http://youtu.be/LiDULxPh0hU

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post

ps. I don't know how to embed the video, so if someone else could do it, that'd be cool :gt

Comment

smart ass LOL thanks m8

Comment

"Soul of the Game" is entertaining and well-intentioned, but you do indeed need to keep the salt shaker handy. For one thing, they would have you believe that Jackie Robinson was friends with Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson, when in reality it's extremely doubtful he ever met either of them. There are more historical errors, but if you can overlook them, it's worth watching once.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

It's a fictional story based on historical ballplayers in the vein of A League of Their Own.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The acting's really good- how could it not be with Delroy Lindo in it?- and I think the tone of it is pretty sincere, at least- but yeah, I wouldn't look to it for accuracy.

Of course if you're going to have Josh Gibson as a character, you have to be somewhat speculative. My general impression is not that much is really known about him. He wasn't really a public figure in the way the other two were.
            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              "Soul of the Game" is entertaining and well-intentioned, but you do indeed need to keep the salt shaker handy. For one thing, they would have you believe that Jackie Robinson was friends with Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson, when in reality it's extremely doubtful he ever met either of them. There are more historical errors, but if you can overlook them, it's worth watching once.
              Robinson hated Paige.

Comment

For one thing, they would have you believe that Jackie Robinson was friends with Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson, when in reality it's extremely doubtful he ever met either of them.
                What?

Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige were teammates on the 1945 Kansas City Monarchs, who faced Gibson's Homestead Grays that season. As shown in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Pere View Post
                  What?

Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige were teammates on the 1945 Kansas City Monarchs, who faced Gibson's Homestead Grays that season. As shown in the movie.
                  Ummm...

satchel-paige-and-jackie-robinson.jpg
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
                    Robinson hated Paige.
                    I don't think that was true. Robisnon didn't care for Paige's showmanship but that is a far cry from "hating" Paige.

Comment

There's a scene in the movie where Paige tells Jackie that the Pirates tried to sign Gibson in 1943. I've never head of that before. Is that true?

Comment

It's not clear how far it really went, but Bill Benswanger was definitely looking at Negro league players in '42-'43, Gibson among them. Maybe a contract was written for Gibson and then quashed by Landis; maybe the Pirates just talked about it some.

In any case, the idea was not invented for the movie.

Comment

One important historical fact missing from the film is the 1945 tryout that Jackie Robinson had with the Red Sox.

Comment

I just watched it and it was pretty good. I think Honus is right about it being like A League of thier Own though. Deff worth watching.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Pere View Post
                              It's not clear how far it really went, but Bill Benswanger was definitely looking at Negro league players in '42-'43, Gibson among them. Maybe a contract was written for Gibson and then quashed by Landis; maybe the Pirates just talked about it some.

In any case, the idea was not invented for the movie.
                              It's funny how the first article says Gibson is "one of the fastest men in Negro ball" and the second article describes Gibson as a "lumbering catcher".

Milwaukee Journal, July 30th, 1942 pg 2

Milwaukee Journal 07-30-1942 pg 2.jpg

Virgin Islands Daily News.

Virgin islands Daily News 08-21-1942 pg 6.jpg
                              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X