Sabermetrics Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabermetrics Book

I need suggestions on a book to get someone who is starting to learn about sabermetrics. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Baseball Journeyman

Beyond Batting Average by Lee Panas is very readable, gentle, but conscientious introduction. I was able to get the ebook for $4 from the publisher, lulu.com. The hard copy is very reasonable too.
    Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM. Reason: Spell Lee Panas's name right
    Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

"The Book - Playing the Percentages in Baseball" from Tom Tango.
      "Baseball between the Numbers - Why Everything You Know About the Game is Wrong" from Jonah Keri and various Baseball Prospectus writers.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Baseball Between the Numbers by the Baseball Prospectus group is not bad. I am reading the sequel "Extra Innings" right now and I am enjoying it. I think I like "The Numbers Game" even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
          Beyond Batting Average by Lee Sanas is very readable, gentle, but conscientious introduction. I was able to get the ebook for $4 from the publisher, lulu.com. The hard copy is very reasonable too.
          My name is Panas, but thanks very much for the plug! There is a list of good sabermetrics books here: http://www.detroittigertales.com/sea...g+sabermetrics

Comment

I'm sorry, Lee. I have the book right here. Must have been a tpyo. Thank you for making it available for such a reasonable cost and for the list.
            Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Thanks for the list and suggestions. I picked up a few of the ones mentioned.
              Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X