What is your favorite baseball book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite baseball book?

Mine would have to be "Little League Heroes" by Joe Jackson. No doubt about it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACOQY3G

Billy Martins autobiography. I always thought his horse story was pretty funny.

Glory of their Times is my favorite though.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Well this has got to be a spam message from looking at Slingers favorite baseball book.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

This, no doubt,

Followed closely by this...

"Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

One post wonder Sling, go for it.
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Best one I've read so far:

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
              Well this has got to be a spam message from looking at Slingers favorite baseball book.
              It's a link to the book on Amazon.com. That's not necessarily spam.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

1. Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract
                2. Cult Baseball Players
                3. Glory Of Their Times
                4. Blackball Stars
                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

any one of The Baseball Hall of Shame books

Comment

No doubt - Bullpen Gospels

Comment

51vWfuvCe2L__SY300_.jpg

A little outdated but extremely enjoyable.

Comment

Frank Graham's Baseball Wit and Wisdom.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

baseball bonus kid.jpg

If you didn't read Baseball Bonus Kid as a youth, then your childhood was lacking. I read it many times in 7th grade study hall.
                          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

The Original Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract advanced my knowledge of baseball history more than any other baseball book by far. I have both the hard copy and paper back editions. I actually bought the paperback edition around 1988-89 or so at my college book store. I bought the hard copy at a used book store about three years ago. I can't believe I've had the paperback edition for about a quarter century now. And my wife complains I am a pack rat.

BJOHBA.jpg
                            Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM.
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract and Glory of Their Times are easily my two favorite I've read so far. Both have taught me a lot about baseball history.
                              Braves

"There ain't much to being a ballplayer, if you're a ballplayer." ~ Honus Wagner
                              "He was the nearest thing to a perfect player no matter where his manager chose to play him." ~ John McGraw on Honus Wagner
                              "I never could stand losing. Second place didn't interest me. I had a fire in my belly." ~ Ty Cobb

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X