What is your favorite baseball book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dougw View Post
    Baseball Bonus Kid was good but, for my money, don't bet against The Kid Comes Back--Roy Tucker, aka The Kid, returns from W.W. II with a combat injury and a footlocker full of doubt. Can he lead the Dodgers back to the pennant or is his career over?
    The Kid Comes Back is the 5th in a series of 8 books, beginning with the seminal The Kid From Tompkinsville by John Tunis written in 1940. These books, especially the first Kid, were incredibly influential and important. They got a whole generation of kids to enjoy reading, and also helped spread the popularity of the Brooklyn Dodgers nationwide. They'll seem cheesy and dated 77 years after they were published, but I highly recommend you at least read the original Kid.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

"The Last Boy" Mickey Mantle and the end of America's childhood. By Jane Leavy. A national bestseller and rightfully so. Hard to put down. It was a Time Magazine top ten book of the year. One of the best baseball books that I have ever read, and I have read a few. She spent a lot of time digging into his past and also interviewing him. It is brutally honest and is full of his buddies too, Billy Martin, Whitey Ford and others. It is as one review said, "heartbreaking." It would pay any Yankee fan or any fan of the game, for that matter, to see how much pain that he played in and read about his battle with alcoholism. It was Copyright in 2010.
      Last edited by Dutch; 04-17-2017, 06:21 PM.
      The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

On October 8, 1956, in game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Don Larsen of the New York Yankees, threw a perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Comment

I agree that "The Last Boy" is very good, but be warned: If you read it, you may learn more about Mickey Mantle than you wanted to know.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Samurai Shortstop
          https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Short.../dp/0142410993

Went on a trip once to Japan with my father and wanted to learn more about the country's culture/ mindset. They say that to understand the soul of a country, you have to look at its sport.

The book describes a youngster's time in boarding school, which isn't very pleasant. He signs up for the baseball team and earns himself a place on it. More importantly, and this is the heart of the book, is the clash between him and his father. A clash of generations.

Their family abides Bushido, the code of the samurai (warrior), held high by the father. However, Japan is modernizing, and the Emperor makes way with this tradition. Japan is now a country with steam technology and people in suits, leaving the father lamenting. He is not too happy with his son's occupation with baseball, which he sees as something modern from abroad. However, they discover that both baseball and Bushido are more alike than they thought, but only after the father and son engage in confrontation.

Comment

Baseball Before We Knew It by David Block is probably my favorite book on the subject. I'm not a huge history guy, but this book made me enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Baseball-befo...ore+we+knew+it

Comment

Many, MANY years ago I read Bob Uecker's book "Catcher In The Wry" and it is still my favorite. I think what I remember and like the most is the fact that Uecker treats it like it is, a kid's game for crying out loud. Nothing stuffy or stat stuffed here, just good old free-style fun with the "game". After all that's all it is, nothing more nothing less. So, just relax and enjoy it, forget all that other overload. Thanks Bob, I'll never forget it.

Comment

Baseball Memories, 1900-1909 by Marc Okkonen,1992. Another one is Catcher by Peter Morris,2010. A third is Ty Cobb, a Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen, a well searched bio that uncovers the false narratives we have always heard about Cobb.

Comment

"Game of Shadows" (2006), "The Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract" (1985)

Next book up: "Fear Strikes Out:The Jim Piersall Story"

Comment

I've got several hundred baseball books, and only a handful I really hate.

Up at the top of my list is, of course, The Glory Of Their Times.

I'm really happy I read it in junior high, about 1970, when three of my grandparents, who had been born in the 1890s and thus were roughly the age of some of the players (slightly younger but only a decade or so), were still around.

My maternal grandmother had grown up in Detroit in the 1890s and 1900s-1910s. Her father took the whole family (8 kids) to Tigers games sometimes. They lived about 15 minutes walk from Bennett Park. Family lore had it that her father, a lumber tycoon in the 1880s-90s, owned a tiny piece of the team, enough so he could get in whenever he wanted.

(Actually they lived on a huge mansion on Woodward Avenue, about 5 minutes walk from today's Comerica Park.)

She remembered the park smelled very "tobacco-y," of cigars and peanuts, like a circus. When she was a little girl, baseball games were kind of shady places, kind of like pool halls. When she was about 16-18 in 1910-12 or so, she said she went on her own or with a couple friends or sisters and they thought they were really going on a forbidden trip.

She said Ty Cobb used to joke with fans in the outfield sometimes, but if somebody started ragging on him, he'd yell at them, "After the game I'm going to throw you in the river" (about a quarter mile away). "and he wasn't joking then, or at least he didn't act like it!"

She said Cobb was usually in a pretty good mood but if something happened to "set him off," he'd be barking at people all game long.

My paternal grandfather played college baseball in Canada in 1914-16 and he knew some guys who went on to play in the majors. They would come over and play teams in the Detroit area and there were always rumors some of the Tigers players or managers were at the game scouting guys out as possible prospects.

Anyway it was interesting talking to them because they had been around in those years and confirmed the stories sounded very familiar to them.
                    Last edited by StarStar00; 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

My favorite baseball book is, and probably always will be, The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter. He did such a great job gathering the emotions of how it was to play baseball back then, how players got to playing baseball, incredible.

Other really great books are Baseball in '41 by Robert Creamer and of course, Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof

"I told Mr. Rickey that someday I was going to have to meet my maker
                      and if He asked me why I didn't let that boy play and I said it was because
                      he was black, that might not be a satisfactory answer."

Happy Chandler, Baseball Commissioner, 1947

Comment

The Sons of Summer... Anyone ever read this book? I just read it on a whim and I was hooked. It's a fiction but the author claims some of it is based on true events. Anyone read this??
                        cover image.jpg

Comment

count me in too.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X