Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What team would you like to see a book written about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What team would you like to see a book written about?

I have a question I thought I'd pose to the members of this board. What's a single-season team you'd like to see a book written about? It could be a team that's never been written about, or a team you think deserves better than what has been written. It doesn't necessarily have to be a great team, or even a good one, just a team who had a season you think would be interesting to detail in a book. Who would you like to read about?
    Baseball Junk Drawer

1961 Los Angeles Angels.

Comment

1990 Reds. =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Ci...ti_Reds_season

Comment

The 1979 Pirates.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
          I have a question I thought I'd pose to the members of this board. What's a single-season team you'd like to see a book written about? It could be a team that's never been written about, or a team you think deserves better than what has been written. It doesn't necessarily have to be a great team, or even a good one, just a team who had a season you think would be interesting to detail in a book. Who would you like to read about?
          1928 Philadelphia Athletics

Comment

2001 Seattle Mariners.
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

The 2013 World Series Champion St.Louis Cardinals and their heroic 2-game sweep of games 6 and 7 in Boston.

Wishful thinking, I know.
              Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-30-2013, 06:03 AM.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                2001 Seattle Mariners.
                1920 Indians would also be fascinating, but I think it's already been done (Pitch That Killed)...just haven't read it.
                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by BBSG View Post
                  1928 Philadelphia Athletics
                  I will agree here and expand it to all of those awesome A's teams up into the 1930s. Those were some unbelievably talented squads, that seem completely forgotten by most fans today. Here are a few I would like to see more written about:

1880s St. Louis Browns (AA)
                  1917 White Sox (Cast of characters known for 1919, but they were a great team that won it all in '17, I'd like to see them in a good light.)
                  1929 A's (Beat the Cubbies)
                  1930 A's (Beat the Cardinals)
                  1931 A's (Grove's amazing year.)
                  1926 Cardinals (First Championship for the Redbirds. Hornsby, Alexander, O'Farrell, Rabbit, Sunny Jim, Chick, Pops etc v the Ruth/Gehrig led Yankees.)
                  1931 Cardinals (Beat out that great A's team, and led by the exciting play of Pepper Martin.)
                  1944 Browns (Only all St. Louis World Series. I have one book, and was told there is another, but I would like to see more JUST on the Browns.)
                  1942 Cardinals (Huge rivalry with the Dodgers, went out and beat an outstanding Yankee team.)
                  1941 Dodgers (Again, huge rivalry with Cardinals, painful to lose to the Yanks the way they did, but still an amazing story.)
                  1946 Cardinals (MVPs Musial and Williams meet in the 7 game Series at the end, but also for The Cat, Country, and others that stole the show.)
                  1957 Braves (Milwaukee's only Championship team, and one helluva team it was too! I had a fitted cap of this team for many years until I wore it out.)
                  1964 Cardinals (The race to pass the Phils, then a solid 7 game Series against the last great Yankee team for a while.)
                  1968 Tigers (McLain's pursuit of 30, Mickey's 3 Series wins, Kaline getting his only ring, Northrup's 3B in Game 7, one helluva team too!)
                  1970 Orioles (All these great Orioles teams, but this one did in fact win, and beat a very fine Reds team to do it. Brooks at 3B in that Series, wow!)
                  1972 A's (any of these great A's teams, like those Orioles teams as well.)
                  1973 A's (Could just combine these dynasties that won multiple championships into one book?)
                  1974 A's
                  1975 A's (Tough loss to the Red Sox, who I would also like to see more about, but the A's get forgotten here.)
                  1975 Reds (The Big Red Machine, maybe there is a lot on them, I don't know. This was a classic Series though.)
                  1976 Reds (I find more people that forgot they won again in '76, maybe a reminder of just how great this team was.)
                  1977 Dodgers (Either of their heartbreaking seasons - '74, '77 or '78, this was a very good team for a while in the NL.)
                  1978 Dodgers
                  1980 Royals (Lead in could be all those great Royals teams in the late 70s, Brett's chasing .400, the solid pitching and defense, ect. Exciting team!)
                  1981 Reds (screwed by the strike)
                  1981 Dodgers (Finally beat those Yankees! Many of the same guys who suffered through '77 and '78.)
                  1982 Brewers (Harvey's Wallbangers!)
                  1983 Phillies ("Wheez" Kids)
                  1984 Padres (What a year! The NLCS was great this year, but the World Series was a huge disappointment. Still the most successful team in the franchise.)
                  1984 Cubs (So close! Great team with MVP Ryno and Cy Sutcliffe, Big Lee Smith, Sarge, Jody, the Bull and the Penguin!)
                  1984 Tigers (Awesome team! Morris, Lance, Gibby, Tram and Lou, Chet, Willie's amazing season as the closer, and of course Sparky!)
                  1986 Red Sox (Great season, unbelievable season, heartbreaking loss.)
                  1986 Mets (C'mon, this team was legendary during that era!)
                  1986 Angels (The bubbly was on ice in the clubhouse. Witt, Joyner, Reggie, DeCinces, Grich says goodbye, Boone, Silent George, Pettis, Devo says hello.)
                  1986 Astros (Mike Scott's no hitter to clinch. Nolan Ryan. Jim Deshaies and Dave Lopes records. Glenn Davis, Dave Smith, Bob Knepper, and that NLCS!)
                  1988 Dodgers (The Bulldog's historic season. Gibby's iconic blast. The huge upset over the favored Bash Brothers!)
                  1988 A's (Any and all of these A's teams would make a very good story. They were the best team in MLB during this run, period.)
                  1989 A's
                  1990 A's
                  1991 Twins
                  1991 Braves (Both were '91 Worst to First, great stories here.)
                  1993 Phillies (Goofball bunch with Kruk, Nails, Daulton, Schilling, Wild Thing, Inky, etc)
                  1993 Giants (Helluva season, no postseason.)
                  1995 Braves (Finally win it all during their reign of NL dominance.)
                  1996 Cardinals (So close to bringing the Wizard to a World Series in his final season, the way he entered St. Louis in '82.)
                  2001 Yankees (It happened in their town, and they produced some unbelievable moments in the postseason to almost pull it off again.)
                  2011 Rangers (So damn close, twice!)

Many of them were World Series winners, which I think would make a good read no matter which team it is. Some were dynasties, or mini-dynasties that would make for a great story when the seasons were combined, or stand alone books, either way. I would read just about any book on teams like the: Cardinals, Red Sox, A's, Dodgers, Orioles, Twins (except 1987...), Braves (especially in Milwaukee, but also during their run in the 90s-00s), Astros (1980s on up), Rangers (1990s to date), Padres (1980s), Yankees (especially 1980s), 1890s teams (Boston, Baltimore, NY Giants), and probably most teams in the 1880s along with the Browns (Wolverines and White Stockings especially).

I guess I would just read anything written about most teams even if it was only one year, or a combination of seasons with prolonged success. Good question though! Maybe one of our members will pick up the challenge and run with it!!!
                  "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                    I will agree here and expand it to all of those awesome A's teams up into the 1930s. Those were some unbelievably talented squads, that seem completely forgotten by most fans today. Here are a few I would like to see more written about:

1984 Tigers (Awesome team! Morris, Lance, Gibby, Tram and Lou, Chet, Willie's amazing season as the closer, and of course Sparky!)

I guess I would just read anything written about most teams even if it was only one year, or a combination of seasons with prolonged success. Good question though! Maybe one of our members will pick up the challenge and run with it!!!
                    Both Sparky Anderson and pitching coach Roger Craig have good accounts of that 1984 season. I have signed copies of both.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I'm glad to see this thread is getting some responses. Some good suggestions here.

One team I thought might be interesting is the 1987 San Francisco Giants. At the time they hadn't won a pennant in 25 years or made the postseason in 16 years, and since that last division title they hadn't made much noise. On August 5 they were below .500 and five games out, but they finished the season on a tear to get back to the NLCS. They made it within one game of the World Series, and even though they won the pennant two years later, it seems like this team tends to be more memorable to Giant fans.

They had an interesting cast of characters like hotshot youngster Will Clark, "one flap down" Jeffrey Leonard, a rookie named Matt Williams, and probably several other guys we don't hear about as much.

Unlike the 1989 team, they weren't overshadowed by an earthquake, and their World Series opponent would've been less formidable than the Oakland powerhouse that swept them, so there's more a sense of "what if?" Besides that, they had lost 100 games just two years earlier, and their division title must have represented a new hope for a long-suffering fanbase.

It seems like it'd have all the elements of a good baseball book: excitement, heartbreak, hope, uncertainty, drama. I'll bet a good writer could do something with it.
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                        1986 Mets (C'mon, this team was legendary during that era!)
                        Have you ever read "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman?
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I'd like to see a book on the 1999 Mets.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

The 2009 Yankees. I was surprised no beat reporter came out with an inside account of this team considering how we had to be given one by John Harper on the 2004 catastrophe (co-written with Tony Maseroti who paralleled the Yankee account with the Red Sox), then NY Post columnist Michael Morissey did a less than flattering look at the failed 2006 team (and in the process wrote a one-way ticket out of NY media in the process), and Feinstein did one that touched on the 2007 season from the perspective of Mike Mussina. But why not the return to championship form in 09 and which saw the "Core Four" finally get that elusive fifth ring?

Now that three of the Core Four have departed and that the 09 championship turned out to be a one-shot endeavor and not the birth of a new dynasty, the story of the team that year deserves to be written more.

Comment

1905 Giants.
                              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X