Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What team would you like to see a book written about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
    1949 Yankees
    Seen this one? It covers the 1949 season, but there's plenty of good stuff on the Yankees included. Mel Allen reads the audio version, if it's still available.
    http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Harper-...summer+of+1949
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
      I remember reading this book, back in the 1980s. I thought it was good.

http://www.amazon.com/Champagne-balo.../dp/0060108320
      Thank you, thank you, thank you. I absolutely, most definitely never knew about this book. Thanks much.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJourneyman View Post
        I'd actually like to see a book written on the Naval teams of WWII.
        I'd be interested in the book along with Army, Air Force, and Marine teams both overseas and stateside. Many of these teams had incredible won-loss records and played before crowds over 10,000. Some were probably better than "ML teams" during WWII.
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

I don't think the Marines have any sports teams.
          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
            I don't think the Marines have any sports teams.
            During the WWII era that we were talking about the Marines had baseball teams and probably teams for different sports. When I served around 25 years later, the Quantico Marines had a football team that recruited our best athlete to transfer and play end for them. As part of the US Navy, we also had fast-pitch softball teams, basketball teams, and seven-man football teams too. Large Marine bases like the one I was stationed at had numerous sports leagues with base champs competing against other Naval and Marine teams from other regions.

I don't know much about Quantico's sports teams today. I do know it was big news during WWII when two military teams were facing one another. They often had several ML players and several minor league players on their rosters. Ballparks were packed with servicemen and newspapers covered these games.
            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
              I guess I would just read anything written about most teams even if it was only one year, or a combination of seasons with prolonged success. Good question though! Maybe one of our members will pick up the challenge and run with it!!!
              An awesome list here, Herr! Like you, I happen to be a huge fan of the "one season" baseball book, and would read any of these.
              Thanks for listening!

freak

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                I would also love to see a well-researched book on the Oakland A's from the era of 1969 through 1974, without the focus on any one player nor on Charlie Finley, but on the team as a collection of individuals and talents.
                There is one that just came out, Mustaches and Mayhem: Charlie O's Three-Time Champions: The Oakland Athletics: 1972-74 by Chip Greene and others, Published by SABR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/194...s=books&sr=1-1
                Axes grind and maces clash!

Comment

I like that idea of the 2001 Mariners. A lot of suffering comes with growing up a Seattle Mariners fan.

Comment

You never read Art Thiel's book?
                    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

I would like to see a narrative or oral history overview of the Yankee Dynasty of 96-03 (the true end point is Game 7 of the 03 ALCS, not Game 7 of the 01 WS) that takes a *positive* look at things at how the dynasty was put together and how great the players were. Buster Olney's book and the Verducci/Torre book are to put it bluntly worthless in this regard because they frame their entire presentations through the tone of decline and a team losing its greatness. Verducci/Torre tells us far more about 2004-2007 than it does the years of success. It's because of that, that the definitive book on this era has yet to be written (Joel Sherman's 2006 book on the 1996 team does a good job for that one year only but we need a similar approach to take us up to 03).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X