Who's on first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DTF955
    BTW, we never hear a rightfielder's name - I guess Costello's supposed to be playing RF, though, from what I gather.

Anyone else do any Abbott and Costello type stuff?
    You know, I think Costello is actually a catcher. He does say, "If I'm catching..."

But I have actually performed the routine. It was my senior year of high school a few years ago, and I was in the Advanced Theatre class. We put on a comedy show late in the school year, and and friend and I performed Who's on First. It was pretty fun. The audience liked it, so that's always good.

And for a while I had the video of Abbott and Costello doing it on my Myspace. One of my friends said she was in her room cracking up watching that and her family had to come in and see if anything was wrong!
    sigpic

Comment

You know, I think Costello is actually a catcher. He does say, "If I'm catching..."
      I think he means that in a hypothetical sense. Because the Pitcher and catcher are named "Today" and "Tomorrow". I think he is the rightfielder, because (in the video I've seen) he's wearing a jersey and wielding a bat. It makes sense to me...
      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
        I think he means that in a hypothetical sense. Because the Pitcher and catcher are named "Today" and "Tomorrow". I think he is the rightfielder, because (in the video I've seen) he's wearing a jersey and wielding a bat. It makes sense to me...
        Ok, good point. Or maybe Costello's just a lowly benchwarmer? h

Wish those guys were still around. Now one of my "eternally haunting" questions will be "What position does Costello play?"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dravecky43
          Ok, good point. Or maybe Costello's just a lowly benchwarmer? h

Wish those guys were still around. Now one of my "eternally haunting" questions will be "What position does Costello play?"
          Costello does mention he's a good catcher, to which Abbott agrees. He's not actually part of the Wolves, or whatever the team is called in whichever version. In the film version, The Naughty Nineties, Costello is not wearing a uniform.
          If he was the rightfielder, why do you think he doesn't know the names of his teammates. Lou just didn't ask about the RF.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Abbott: Well Costello, I'm going to New York with you. You know Bookie Harris, the Yankee's manager, gave me a job as coach for as long as you're on the team.

Costello: Look Abbott, if you're the coach, you must know all the players.

Abbott: I certainly do.

Costello: Well you know I've never met the guys. So you'll have to tell me their names, and then I'll know who's playing on the team.
            From this quote, I take it that Costello is a player, as Abbott says to him:
            "the Yankee's manager, gave me a job as coach for as long as you're on the team".
            Costello is new to the team, and as long as Costello remains on the team Abbott will be coaching. Somehow (even though they are both new to the team), Abbott knows all of the player's names, but Costello doesn't know any of them.

It kind of makes sense, and I guess that they had trouble setting up the skit. Really, it doesn't matter much since the skit is so funny.
            WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
              From this quote, I take it that Costello is a player, as Abbott says to him:
              Costello is new to the team, and as long as Costello remains on the team Abbott will be coaching. Somehow (even though they are both new to the team), Abbott knows all of the player's names, but Costello doesn't know any of them.

It kind of makes sense, and I guess that they had trouble setting up the skit. Really, it doesn't matter much since the skit is so funny.
              They did that skit for years and years and years, it well predates the movies.
              It's, uh, Bucky Harris.
              I just heard that version this past weekend, and couldn't help but think how fast they went through it. They probably could do it in their sleep. In a TV movie a few years ago based on Costello's biography written by his daughter, Costello was performing a very similar skit with another comic when Abbott met him.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X