Ted Williams''The Kid'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Williams''The Kid'

I just read this book. It was great! Everything you wanted to know about the life of the 'Slendid Splinter' then some!!
    A long read though-nearly 800 pages!!
    Worth a read!!:applaud:

Got it for myself with an Amazon gift card I got for Christmas. It's definitely a door stop. A life as epic as his deserves that treatment.

I'll probably hold off on reading it until a little closer to the actual season.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

I'm wondering how this book compares to the Ted Williams book by Leigh Montville. I think that was one of the best sports biographies ever written--I don't know how the new book can be any better. What do you think?

Comment

Wow, ten years of research, no wonder it's a door stop! I'm currently reading Tune In, the first volume of Mark Lewisohn's extensive Beatles bio, which also took ten years to write, and is another door stop (it's a thousand pages, give or take a few), and only goes up to 1962! I honestly don't know if he'll live long enough to complete the three volumes.

I've read all the Williams bios so far, and will tackle this one after I'm done with the Fab Four. I also thought Leigh Montville's was the best version I've read up to now.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by dougw View Post
          I'm wondering how this book compares to the Ted Williams book by Leigh Montville. I think that was one of the best sports biographies ever written--I don't know how the new book can be any better. What do you think?
          Oh it beats Montville's book easily. 'The Kid' goes places the other book never did.
          Read it-you'll like it

Comment

Maybe I should try to pick up a copy of that book, it sounds interesting.

There is another Williams book coming out in May, written by his daughter Claudia. I really enjoyed the Ty Cobb book written by his grandson because it wasn't really about baseball, it was more personal, and I'm hoping that Ms. Williams' book is similar.
            The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              Wow, ten years of research, no wonder it's a door stop! I'm currently reading Tune In, the first volume of Mark Lewisohn's extensive Beatles bio, which also took ten years to write, and is another door stop (it's a thousand pages, give or take a few), and only goes up to 1962! I honestly don't know if he'll live long enough to complete the three volumes.

I've read all the Williams bios so far, and will tackle this one after I'm done with the Fab Four. I also thought Leigh Montville's was the best version I've read up to now.
              Do they make it to Berlin in Vol 1?

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                Do they make it to Berlin in Vol 1?
                You mean Hamburg? Yes, they do. I'm only about 200 pages into it, but this volume ends at the end of 1962, when their first record, (Love Me Do) is selling big, and Beatlemania is about to happen.
                Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 02-08-2014, 03:25 PM.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  You mean Hamburg? Yes, they do. I'm only about 2000 pages into it, but this volume ends at the end of 1962, when their first record, (Love Me Do) is selling big, and Beatlemania is about to happen.
                  I did mean Hamburg. They probably would have had a tough time getting to Berlin in 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                    I did mean Hamburg. They probably would have had a tough time getting to Berlin in 1962.
                    Even the yellow submarine wouldn't have made it.
                    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

I've finished almost 100 pages of The Kid. The author was able to interview several people who were close to Ted. If you are a fan of Ted's then read both Leigh Montville's biography and this one.

I grew up in Boston but never knew about Ted's Mexican heritage until I read Montville's book. That shows you how well it was covered up by everyone.
                      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

It was news to me, too. Looking at photos of him now, it seems so obvious.
                        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X