Plaaayball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaaayball!

I’m not really sure that this is an acceptable practice on this site, but what’s life without risk right? My sincere apologies if I offend anyone. It surely is not my intention.
    I have observed this page for years although it’s not really my own cup of coffee to comment or involve myself in forum discussions. But, I also don’t believe in Never, so someday that may change. For now, I enjoy the reads much more.
    I always use the moniker of “baseball kid” in order to describe my own participation in the late 50s, when that was the only game that was ever played in the schoolyards, streets, alleyways and sandlots in the area of Connecticut where I grew up. Those were also the days when only the best players made one of the six sponsored Little League baseball teams. You had to be 12 years old and the best player on your team to warrant wearing the hand-me-down number 7 jersey. I never did. Doing the math, that equated to 72 kids who were thought to be skilled enough to play in those organized leagues. The times have changed, haven’t they?
    In those days, Trophies were earned only by the winning team. The other teams were awarded only a certificate of participation and a lifelong lesson to improve and play harder the next year. I guess many things have changed. Even the name of the park I played in as a kid has been renamed, but I will honor it on this site as my sign in name. Although I played baseball in the Babe Ruth league and in High School, the game eventually became too slow paced and I concentrated my efforts on basketball to sub in the need for speed. Many years and many seasons have passed for this guy who grew up in the fifties as a Yankee fan, but changed affiliation to the Boston Red Sox in the early sixties. I have been a passionate Red Sox follower ever since and now, I’ve come full circle from those early days when I would watch Mickey, Whitey and Yogi on WPIX 11 almost every afternoon during those long, humid New England summers. Baseball has again supplanted all other sports and I once again cherish it with the same intensity as I did some 50 years ago on that grainy black and white TV. It truly is the Thinking Man’s Game and like a fine wine, takes time to appreciate in its totality.
    A few years ago, with my work career winding down and headed towards retirement, I decided to fulfill a life long dream to pen a book. In 2010, I decided the time was right and in a year’s time, I wrote and printed 26 copies for family and friends, without a desire to ever entertain its marketing. Those who read it enjoyed it and I was coaxed into publishing it, which I did in November 2013. Selling books is not really my goal, writing them is, but if any of you are interested in reading something from a guy who has walked that 360 degree loop from the days when the worship of the game of baseball was a large part of who we were, you can check it out on its Facebook or Amazon page. The name you will need to search is “plaaayball” and if you read it, I hope that you like it. PLAAAYBALL! is my "hidden autobiography" that utilizes all of the intricacies and nuances of the game of baseball to create its story. All of the characters were fashioned in some way from my own experiences, observations, acquaintances, conversations and left impressions that for some reason happened to me during my time on the planet. The work itself naturally carries a nostalgic flavor and is reminiscent of those days when life was much simpler and carefree. And if you are a Cubs fan you may relate to it even more. And maybe even better than me ever selling another book is the rumor that the hands that mashed out 4256 career hits, may soon be holding a copy of it!
    Many of my readers have told me that the story is really a great way to usher in an upcoming baseball season……….well, this one in knocking on the door.
    I’m not too sure if this will get me ushered from one more bar and I hope it’s not viewed as spam…the goal of a writer is always just to get someone to read their efforts…. either way, thank you all for this site and always………PLAAAYBALL!

"...the goal of a writer is always just to get someone to read their efforts..."

Please add some paragraphs to your post and I'll be happy to start there...right now it's a little tough to read in one big blob of words.

Comment

Hahaha...yeah, I guess sometimes I tend to do that. Thanks for reading though....the best way to see a sampling of my style in to go to the Amazon book page and enter "plaaayball", click on the image and then access the "look inside" feature. They have a really good set up and cross section for viewing. If you really want me too, I would be happy to post several excerpts.

Comment

I'll definitely check it out on Amazon. Even though I was born in '65 (lifelong Dodger fan from Los Angeles), I can relate to the carefree, simpler days you speak of...I think my age group caught the end of that era. And baseball itself is so nostalgic, I'm sure it's a good read for anyone who loves the game.

Comment

They were special for sure to me Mr. Pibb. In '65 I was a sophomore in HS and in Connecticut where I grew up, we really couldn't play until usually late April May so we worked out in the gym until then. I got the word that it would be to my advantage to try out with the pitchers and catchers who started a week earlier to maybe catch a coach's eye. I never pitched before that but back then, we all pitched in some form I guess. They noticed me OK, and the more they did the harder I threw and my arm dangled in pain for a long time in my classes. Different times, but we owned them. I live in the LA area too and have since 1973 so we are neighbors. Check out PLAAAYBALL's facebook page if you get the time..you may like it. It was great to write this book for me and leave something more than a tombstone! Thanks for checking it out...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X