List of baseball movies prior to 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of baseball movies prior to 1956

Going through a 1956 edition of The Official Encyclopedia of Baseball - Revised Edition and found this list of baseball movies made prior to 1956. Thought it might be of interest to some.Baseball movies page 1.jpgBaseball movies page 2.jpgBaseball movies page 3.jpgBaseball movies page 4.jpg

Very interesting. I had no idea Lew Fonseca made a career out of baseball instructional film after his career ended. I'll bet there are some posters here who would love to check that PCL film out.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      Very interesting. I had no idea Lew Fonseca made a career out of baseball instructional film after his career ended. I'll bet there are some posters here who would love to check that PCL film out.
      Fonseca was the producer/director/writer of the WS films that MLB produced, up till the late 60's. He even narrated a few of them. His stiff and regimented format no doubt served as inspiration for a style for Ed Sabol to completely avoid when he started NFL Films in the early 60's. Sabol's films would completely blow away anything that MLB or anyone else had ever done in highlight films.
      It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards View Post
        Fonseca was the producer/director/writer of the WS films that MLB produced, up till the late 60's. He even narrated a few of them. His stiff and regimented format no doubt served as inspiration for a style for Ed Sabol to completely avoid when he started NFL Films in the early 60's. Sabol's films would completely blow away anything that MLB or anyone else had ever done in highlight films.
        Sabol was justifiably elected to the Football Hall of Fame a couple years back. His son may get elected, too. John Facenda, though, may be pushing it.

I was wondering who would have narrated Fonseca's films. I'm sure the HOF has copies in their archives. I was flipping through Jack Coomb's Baseball last night, and this thread made me think a lot of what he was writing about, from the experience as a player and longtime college coach, would easily translate to this sort of film.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Well.............I learned something today................I saw Lew's name a lot and thought he was just a movie producer...................but I see he played baseball for quite a few years.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X