X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • va4man
    • Mar 2011

Son turning 12 - book ideas

my little guy is turning 12 and I want to get him a baseball book on the history of the game. From the start to a close to today as possible. Seems to be a lot out there. Any recommendations?

much appreciated.
  • apbaball
    • Nov 2010

Misread your request
    Last edited by apbaball; 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Dude Paskert
      The Grand Poobah of Sweat
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by va4man View Post
      my little guy is turning 12 and I want to get him a baseball book on the history of the game. From the start to a close to today as possible. Seems to be a lot out there. Any recommendations?

much appreciated.
      I was a little older than your son when I bought it, but I really enjoyed "The Ultimate Baseball Book" by Okrent and Lewine when I started getting into baseball history. It's not very in depth, but that's probably OK for a 12 year old...and it has TONS of photos. Looks like it was last updated in 2000.
      One would hope that the Ken Burns book on baseball would be a good choice here, but I found it to be very disappointing and can't recommend it.
      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
        OSHA-certified Moderator
        • Jan 2000

Here's what listed on the Almanac's books page:

Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• abolishthedh
          Hopeful traditionalist
          • Mar 2003

Best one I would suggest for recent history, and still have plenty of real history over time, would be the one at the link below.

Sports Illustrated generally has a fabulous idea when they publish coffee table books like this one. The SI pictures and SI writing together are a great combination in book form.
          Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

• Brian McKenna
            • Sep 2005

I've always seen Koppett's Concise History as a good starter book. Gives a great overview with just enough coverage to spark further personal research. It could probably be bought on Amazon for little more than postage.

Comment

• Roothog66
              • Jan 2011

The Rookie by Jerry Jenkins:

This is not the Jim Morris story, but a fictional account of a kid who works his way up to the major leagues before he is 15yo. It may sound corny, but it's not a book for young kids. This may be my favorite sports book.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X