Cubs on WGN imply that days are numbered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs on WGN imply that days are numbered

Here is the link for the story that the Cubs might seek another network on which to broadcast games, and that WGN isn't happy with the current ratings and results anyway.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...en-rights-fees

My two cents, briefly. Just this past week I was comparing the broadcast on WGN with that of Cardinal games on Fox Sports Midwest. The players on WGN are shown from the centerfield fence over the pitcher's shoulder in a much larger image than the corresponding angle will show on Fox. I am referring to the standard TV shot between pitches and looking into the catcher. Noticing this difference, I took the time to measure it. In a simplified ratio, the Cubs players are larger in this traditional angle by 15 to 8 over Fox, and I am sure it is significantly larger for the Cubs over ESPN in this angle. Further, the image fills my screen on WGN, but not on Fox, where Fox has this annoying gap on the top and bottom of the image. In summary.......

WGN understands baseball and shows such in its broadcasts, and so I make this plea to please find a way to resolve your differences between the two of you at WGN and Cubs officials. It comes to mind that the angle I have seen over the years might have something to do with Wrigley, but I am confident that this is not the real difference, and that there is a genuine difference between whatever WGN will do and Fox does on each pitch regardless of which field is involved.

Feel free to vent, or discuss as you see fit..... :twocents:
    Last edited by abolishthedh; 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM. Reason: usual embellishment for clarity
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I think it's already a done deal. No more WGN sports. It was a good run.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

WGN assisted in creating many cubs fans...which may be cause for why many people are miserable

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
        WGN assisted in creating many cubs fans...which may be cause for why many people are miserable
        Yeah, that station haunted my youth out by the Quad Cities. Cubs games all the time. Harry Caray going on and on about the gals in the stands, Ryne Sandberg, Rick Sutcliffe, Big Lee Smith, the damn Shawon-O-Meter, Jody Davis, Leon "Bull" Durham, Keith Moreland at third or catcher or outfield, the Sarge, Eck, Rainbow Trout, the ever-injured Scott Sanderson, the Penguin, speedy Bob Dernier, Jim Frey, Grace, Hawk, George Bell and his shot at 50 home runs or whatever they were drooling about when he got there, Greg Maddux, Mike Bielecki, Wild Thing, Zim, Joe Giardi and Damon Berryhill behind the plate, rookie sensations Dwight Smith and Jerome Walton, "Dunston can pitch from second base" nonsense, Vance Law, wee Doug Dascenzo, the annual Cubs v I-Cubs game (didn't they play in Des Moines, or at least I thought I saw that game there in '88 or '89, maybe '90). . .

I knew more about the daily goings on of the Cubbies than I did about anything concerning the Redbirds thanks to WGN. I guess that made a lot of us Cardinal fans in the battleground area miserable as well. A buddy of mine in Austin, who ironically plays on the Cubs team in our league, is from the Peoria, IL, area and he had the same complaints growing up during that time. Though, we both did enjoy listening to Caray go on during the games. I even bought his 1988 or 1989 autobiography Holy Cow! and loved it when I read it in my high school classes. Kinda strange to think that all of those things will no longer be together again.
        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

I read on another forum that WGN is also dumping the White Sox and Bulls; in other words all their sports programming.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

They are keeping the *Hawks though must be Championship Envy....

Comment

As long as the Cubs keep in mind the carriage woes that have plagued teams like the Astros regarding regional cable networks. As of now, only 40% of Houston-area households have the CSN Houston channel to watch Astros games. It is a mess. I believe the Portland Trailblazers are in the same predicament.

I don't know what kind of penetration CSN Chicago has on the Chicago market, but if they think they can force it to be picked up by more carriers, they might be in for a surprise.
              sigpic
              National League Champions: 2005
              National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
              National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

Hmmm...I guess the Cubs need to ditch "Go Cubs Go!" as their post home win song after all these years, as WGN is in the lyrics.

Sadly Steve Goodman is no longer around to "edit" in a new network name =
                NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                  Hmmm...I guess the Cubs need to ditch "Go Cubs Go!" as their post home win song after all these years, as WGN is in the lyrics.
                  Not familiar with the song, but when the WOR Radio plays the 1984 vocal version of "Meet The Mets," when they get to the line "Hot dogs, green grass, all out at Shea" they play a crowd noise sound effect over that line (since the Mets no longer play at Shea). And since this is a thread about a team changing their broadcast outlet, I'll add that it felt weird to refer to WOR as the Mets' radio station, since they were on WFAN for over 25 years. (And it's still weird to accept Mets games on WPIX Channel 11, since they were on WOR Channel 9 for about a million years.)
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by RootHouston View Post
                    As long as the Cubs keep in mind the carriage woes that have plagued teams like the Astros regarding regional cable networks. As of now, only 40% of Houston-area households have the CSN Houston channel to watch Astros games.
                    Only 30% of Los Angeles had access to Dodger games this past season. MLB should do a better job of insisting that any local TV deal insures broad coverage to its market. What is happening with SNLA is a travesty.
                    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

I never saw the Cubs on WGN, but the connection was well known, even on the east coast. It's a shame when a beloved tradition comes to an end, particularly when it means a reduction in the team's participating community.

What was the Shawon-O-Meter? and Steve Goodman's connection with WGN?
                      The ball once struck off,
                      Away flies the boy
                      To the next destin'd post,
                      And then home with joy.
                      --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Originally posted by Sliding Billy View Post
                        Steve Goodman's connection with WGN?
                        None. Just one of several Cubbie themed songs he wrote and performed. Since there are no specific named references besides WGN and Wrigley Field, I assume the Cubs commissioned him for it as an anthem. WGN just appears in one line referring to where you can watch the games.
                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Bumping, in the name of recent success for the Cubs and postseason discussion.

Oh, WGN....... how does it look now, when you dropped your flagship summer broadcast event? Not that I am a Cubs fan, and not that I have ever been, nor have I ever been to Chicago as an adult. However, for one of the oldest franchises and one of the largest fanbases and one of the largest superstation networks..... we're we just a bit hasty in watching the almighty dollar?

This is what happens when beancounters make decisions where baseball minds once did. Just sayin......
                          Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

We might disagree on the DH, but I can agree with you on this but I watched the CUbs on WGN since the days of Durham and Sandberg when I was a kid. I still remember the crazy season of 1989. I hadn't watched much in the last decade (working 2nd shift during the week hurts things). But, I used to spend summers, as a kid/teen watching the Cubs day game on WGN, followed by the Braves night game on TBS.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X