Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Acting Performances

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Acting Performances

    Which actors/actresses turned in the best performances in a baseball movie? For myself, I'm torn between a few.

    Gordon Clapp- Ray Schalk, Eight Men Out
    David Straitharn- Eddie Cicotte, Eight Men Out
    Tom Hanks- Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
    Lori Petty- Kit Keller, A League of Their Own
    Jonah Hill- Peter Brand, Moneyball
    Robert Duvall- Max Mercy, The Natural
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

  • #2
    I liked Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey in 42.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

    Comment


    • #3
      Alan Arkin in Cooperstown, a 1993 TV movie. It was directed by Charles Haid, who was great in a brief role in the film.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        I liked Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey in 42.
        I didn't think Chadwick Boseman was too bad, either.
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
          I didn't think Chadwick Boseman was too bad, either.
          Yes, he was very good, but I'd never heard of him before. Now he's playing James Brown.

          But Ford has been around so long, and this role was so against type for him. I barely recognized him.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            Yes, he was very good, but I'd never heard of him before. Now he's playing James Brown.

            But Ford has been around so long, and this role was so against type for him. I barely recognized him.
            I agree. I'd say he played his character the best in that movie.
            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the Kansas City Royals, Nori Aoki, had the best acting job I had ever seen:
              Molina-Aoki-throw-hit-head-060514.gif
              Josh Greer
              LynkSpyder - Chain Link Fence Camera Mount
              (Links aren't allowed....Google us.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                Which actors/actresses turned in the best performances in a baseball movie? For myself, I'm torn between a few.

                Gordon Clapp- Ray Schalk, Eight Men Out
                David Straitharn- Eddie Cicotte, Eight Men Out
                Tom Hanks- Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
                Lori Petty- Kit Keller, A League of Their Own
                Jonah Hill- Peter Brand, Moneyball
                Robert Duvall- Max Mercy, The Natural
                I have always really like him as an actor. He did a great job as the police chief in the older John Sayles film Matewan, which came out before Eight Men Out and is an outstanding film. He was also a classmate of Sayles. I looked up his filmography and he was also in Memphis Belle and A League of Their Own.
                "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                  I have always really like him as an actor. He did a great job as the police chief in the older John Sayles film Matewan, which came out before Eight Men Out and is an outstanding film. He was also a classmate of Sayles. I looked up his filmography and he was also in Memphis Belle and A League of Their Own.
                  Til the day I die I will say that he should have played Sandy Koufax in something. Not only his he one of my favorite actors, the two looked rather similar.

                  8-men-out64.JPG
                  $(KGrHqN,!qEFC)ou-JtFBQy28VLZyQ~~60_35.JPG

                  Meanwhile, John Sayles' resemblance of Ring Lardner in Eight Men Out is beyond eerie.

                  jsayles as lardner.jpg
                  Ring_Lardner_LC-DIG-npcc-03879.jpg
                  "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My vote would have to be for Straitharn as Cicotte. His pitching motion was fluid in Eight Men Out, and he can act as well.
                    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

                    A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

                    Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      John Goodman as The Babe.
                      My top 10 players:

                      1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        John Goodman as The Babe.
                        You're picking fights aren't you!?
                        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          John Goodman as The Babe.
                          Couldn't agree more. Epic tale. Incredible writing and attention to detail !!

                          John_Goodman.gif

                          GreatestMovieEver.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ruth having a pinch runner after running to first base has to be one of the stupidest things ever in a baseball film. Ruth could limp to first base but couldn't limp around the rest of the bases? How did Ruth play the outfield then?
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In a rocking chair I guess

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X