Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honus Wagner Movie

Dear Community,

I couldn't find a post concerning this topic so I started a new thread.

I read that there is a movie with Honus Wagner from the 20's called In The Name Of The Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_...281922_film%29). I couldn't find that much information about it and could not find the movie itself. Any information from you guys?

Greetings from Germany
    Greetings from Germany

Originally posted by Antares View Post
    Dear Community,

I couldn't find a post concerning this topic so I started a new thread.

I read that there is a movie with Honus Wagner from the 20's called In The Name Of The Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_...281922_film%29). I couldn't find that much information about it and could not find the movie itself. Any information from you guys?

Greetings from Germany
    Welcome, Antares.

I followed your link to imdb.com, which is probably the definitive informational site about movies and TV. Not much there, either, unfortunately. It doesn't say the movie is lost, which it sometimes does for silents that are known to not have any exisiting prints.

Wagner's time in front of the cameras hasn't been discussed here, as far as I remember. Anyone have any further ideas?
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I can't imagine why they would make a movie about him. I mean, I would deff watch it, but I doubt anyone who wasn't a fan of baseball would. Although, if made, it can't be any worse than the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth movies of the 1990's. I will say this, if they do make it, it would be a breath of fresh air to finally watch a baseball movie that uses a guy who lived a clean non-contreversial type of life.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
        I can't imagine why they would make a movie about him. I mean, I would deff watch it, but I doubt anyone who wasn't a fan of baseball would. Although, if made, it can't be any worse than the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth movies of the 1990's. I will say this, if they do make it, it would be a breath of fresh air to finally watch a baseball movie that uses a guy who lived a clean non-contreversial type of life.
        Antares was actually referring to a film made in 1922 that featured Wagner.
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
          Antares was actually referring to a film made in 1922 that featured Wagner.
          I see that now, Wow, I wonder how that movie turned out.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            Welcome, Antares.
            Hello Sir!

Yes, sometimes those old movies are lost, but it doesn't say so.
            I thought about writing a message to the guys who wrote that wiki article. Maybe they can provide further information.
            Greetings from Germany

Comment

70 to 85% (depending on both source and how a lost film is defined) of silent movies produced before 1930 are considered to be lost, so it wouldn't be surprising if this were a lost film. Most rediscovered silent films have been found in various European archives.

Comment

IMDB indicates that the footage involving Honus Wagner was just a prologue to the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013266/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

The American Film Institute’s summary of the film does not even list Wagner as being in the film!:

http://www.afi.com/members/catalog/A...s=1&Movie=9917

To me, that suggests that IMDB (surprisingly) has it right. The film of Wagner doing a publicity stunt of catching balls was just added to the start of another movie for the sake of including the footage, but it was not actually essential to the plot (at least as described by AFI).

I am doubtful that the film still exists. A search of NitrateVille (http://www.nitrateville.com, which is dedicated to silent and early talkie films, makes no comment about it (but discusses a possibly apocryphal 1909 film involving Wagner and Moe Howard of the 3 Stooges). Similarly, the Silent Era website lists the survival status of the film as “Unknown”:

http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/I...heLaw1922.html

And, parenthetically, Silent Era also does not consider Wagner’s role as important enough to list him as even being in the film...the only listing it has for Honus Wagner is for the film The Baseball Revue of 1917 (survival status unknown):

http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/B...netee1917.html

Which featured a lot of great names: Grover Alexander, ‘Home Run’ Baker, Chief Bender, Eddie Cicotte, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Walter Johnson, Connie Mack, Rube Marquand, Christy Mathewson, John McGraw, Babe Ruth, Tris Speaker, Jim Thorpe, Honus Wagner . . . Don’t you wish it still existed?????

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I am a huge fan of silent films. This question was right down the middle of the plate for me!
                "You can hate a man for many reasons. Color is not one one of them."--Pee Wee Reese

Comment

Originally posted by Antares View Post
                  Hello Sir!

Yes, sometimes those old movies are lost, but it doesn't say so.
                  I thought about writing a message to the guys who wrote that wiki article. Maybe they can provide further information.
                  Maybe the Historical Society of Pennsylvania would also have an idea.

http://hsp.org/

Phils vs. Pirates likely unearthed as much as there is out there, though. It's always good to have an expert or two around.
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Phils V. Pirates View Post
                    Don’t you wish it still existed?????
                    You bet!

Thanks for those interesting information!
                    Sometimes those lost stuff comes up in some archive, like those scenes from Metropolis. That would be great!
                    Greetings from Germany

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X