Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you looking forward to? (2015 edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books are you looking forward to? (2015 edition)

Here is a list of new/reissued baseball books that I'm planning to try to read this year. What am I missing? What are you most looking forward to?

February
    100 Years of Who's Who in Baseball (Globe Pequot)
    101 Baseball Places to See Before You Strike Out by Josh Pahigian (Globe Pequot)
    Growing Up Pedro by Matt Tavares (Candlewick)
    Henry Aaron's Dream by Matt Tavares (Candlewick)
    The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia by David Finoli and Bill Rainier (Sports Publishing)

March
    Ted Williams and Friends by Dick Trust (Arcadia)
    Ted Williams, My Father by Claudia Williams (Ecco)
    Mookie by Mookie Wilson and Erik Sherman (Berkley)
    The History of Baseball in 100 Objects by Josh Leventhal (Black Dog & Leventhal)
    Willie & Me by Dan Gutman (HarperCollins)
    Baseball: Great Records, Weird Happenings, Odd Facts, Amazing Moments & Other Cool Stuff by Ron Martirano (Imagine)
    Baltimore Orioles: 60 Years by Jim Henneman (Insight Editions)
    Cincinnati Reds Legends by Mike Shannon (Kent State University Press)
    The Real McCoy by Hal McCoy (Orange Frazer)
    Legends by Howard Bryant (Philomel)
    Baseball Myths by Bill Deane (Rowman & Littlefield)
    The Cy Young Catcher by Charlie O'Brien and Doug Wedge (Texas A&M Univ Press)

April
    The Pittsburgh Pirates' 1960 Season by David Finoli (Arcadia)
    Perfect: The Rise and Fall of John Paciorek, Baseball's Greatest One-Game Wonder by Steven K. Wagner (Breakaway Books)
    I Don't Care If We Never Get Back by Ben Blatt and Eric Brewster (Grove Press)
    Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Pennington and Scott Waxman (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
    Baseball's Top 10 by Robert Kuenster (Rowman & Littlefield)
    Tony Oliva by Thom Henninger (Univ of Minnesota Press)

May
    The Mickey Mantle Novel by Peter Golenbock (Globe Pequot)
    Pedro by Pedro Martinez and Michael Silverman (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
    Immaculate: A History of Perfect Innings in Baseball by John Cairney (Mosaic Press)
    Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen (Simon & Schuster)
    Split Season: 1981 by Jeff Katz (Thomas Dunne)

June
    Remembering the Stick by Steve Travers (Taylor Trade)

July
    The Pine Tar Game by Filip Bondy (Scribner)

October
    Pudge: The Biography of Carlton Fisk by Doug Wilson (Thomas Dunne)
    The Writer's Journey

The Colonel and Hug: The Partnership that Transformed the New York Yankees by Steve Steinberg & Lyle Spatz May 2015 (University of Nebraska Press)

Honus Wagner and His Pittsburgh Pirates: Scenes from a Golden Era by Ronald T. Waldo May 2015 (McFarland)

The 1902 Pittsburgh Pirates: Treachery and Triumph by Ronald T. Waldo May 2015 (McFarland)

Tearin' Up the Pea Patch: The Brooklyn Dodgers 1953 by Andrew Paul Mele May 2015 (McFarland)

Our Bums: The Brooklyn Dodgers in History, Memory and Popular Culture by David Krell May 2015 (McFarland)
    Axes grind and maces clash!

Comment

McFarland always has interesting titles, but the prices seem to be so much higher.
      The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
        McFarland always has interesting titles, but the prices seem to be so much higher.
        I agree, but sometimes you can find some McFarland's cheap on Amazon. They do have some great books. You an Iron Maiden fan?

Comment

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
          I agree, but sometimes you can find some McFarland's cheap on Amazon. They do have some great books. You an Iron Maiden fan?
          I am. Not the biggest fan, but I like most of their stuff.
          The Writer's Journey

Comment

The Hidden Game of Baseball is being reissued. I never read it so I will be sure to buy it.

Comment

Split Season: 1981. Love to know what the players did during their Summer "break".

Comment

This is a bit of a shameless plug, BUT I for one am looking forward to the release of my book, "The League of Outsider Baseball: An Illustrated History of Baseball's Forgotten Heroes". I wrote and illustrated the book and of all the things I've done over my 25 year career, this is the best so far. It hits all major bookstores on May 5th and if you live in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, I hope you can come to the launch party at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Crestview Hills, KY on Friday May 8th!

tall_big_zpstlnxfx9f.jpg
                See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

Comment

I haven't read your book, but I have to ask - Jackie Robinson is a "forgotten hero?"
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

The subtitle was the publisher's concept, as is the title. The whole project originated with my baseball website called "The Infinite Baseball Card Set" where the subtitle is "Baseball's Forgotten Heroes, Barnstormers, Journeymen, Rogues, & Stars Before They Were Famous". The publisher figured that was a mouthful. The first chapter, of which the Robinson story is included, features Hall of Famers before they made the majors. The other 6 chapters have more obscure ballplayers.
                    See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
                      The Colonel and Hug: The Partnership that Transformed the New York Yankees by Steve Steinberg & Lyle Spatz May 2015 (University of Nebraska Press)
                      This is an excellent book. It really brings into focus why Ruppert's induction into the HOF was long overdue because while Ed Barrow may have been the GM who brought the players together, Ruppert's ownership was the cornerstone of what made the Yankees the greatest team in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post
                        This is an excellent book. It really brings into focus why Ruppert's induction into the HOF was long overdue because while Ed Barrow may have been the GM who brought the players together, Ruppert's ownership was the cornerstone of what made the Yankees the greatest team in baseball.
                        Thanks for letting us know about what you thought about the book. I need to pick it up soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X