Al Stump's Cobb book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Stump's Cobb book?

Sorry if this is a repeat but the search function brings up many threads but don't have enough time to wade through to find what looking for (ie: Bill's Cobb thread)

Just ordered a few baseball books. One of them I ordered was AL Stump's Cobb, it was cheap as bought second hand from Amazon. What I was wondering is it completely fictitious or does it have some merit. Plenty of reviews say its good, some very bad although it's a minority. Also got the Alexander bio but ain't arrived yet.

sabr article debunks shotgun myth although I have not read the full article which I will tonight.

Any input is much appreciated

Originally posted by scribbs View Post
    Sorry if this is a repeat but the search function brings up many threads but don't have enough time to wade through to find what looking for (ie: Bill's Cobb thread)

Just ordered a few baseball books. One of them I ordered was AL Stump's Cobb, it was cheap as bought second hand from Amazon. What I was wondering is it completely fictitious or does it have some merit. Plenty of reviews say its good, some very bad although it's a minority. Also got the Alexander bio but ain't arrived yet.

sabr article debunks shotgun myth although I have not read the full article which I will tonight.

Any input is much appreciated
    Much of the book is very good, with much of the baseball material interesting and well written. Stump gets criticism for his recollections of the time he and Cobb spent together writing the book which is certainly not flattering to Cobb. I think it's worth owning, and a good companion to Cobb's "My Life in Baseball" with some different stories than Cobb's autobiography. I think you will enjoy it.
    The outcome of our children is infinitely more important than the outcome of any game they will ever play

Comment

Originally posted by JJA View Post
      Much of the book is very good, with much of the baseball material interesting and well written. Stump gets criticism for his recollections of the time he and Cobb spent together writing the book which is certainly not flattering to Cobb. I think it's worth owning, and a good companion to Cobb's "My Life in Baseball" with some different stories than Cobb's autobiography. I think you will enjoy it.
      Thanks, basically take it with a pince of salt. Read 1st chapter, enjoyed it so far although I doubt some of things he stated were true, like you kind of imtimated above.

Comment

I don't believe Stump's book should be given the time of day after the revelations of what this man did. He perpetrated a number of frauds for personal profit including forging letters and a diary purportedly of Cobb's that it's impossible to take anything he writes with credibility. I am waiting for the new Cobb bios that are due out to offer a more proper take on the man.

Comment

The Alexander biography is currently the definitive work on Cobb's life; its not without errors but its quite good. Stump was a fraud and I would categorize his book about Cobb a work of fiction. The book likely has entertainment value but falls under the header of pure fiction.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X