Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Cobb bio coming out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Cobb bio coming out

    "Ty Cobb, a Terrible Beauty" is due out in May:

    http://charlesleerhsen.com/index.htm

    Here's an article about the book:

    http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...b#.VSGqE_nF-Sp

    Cobb "comes across as less odious and more interesting than his sinister reputation in this energetic biography," says a Publishers Weekly review.


    That's good news to many folks here, and to the memory of Mr. Bill Burgess, who stressed that ol' Tyrus hadn't been given a fair shake by most biographers.

    BTW, I'm not sure if this should go in this forum, or the history forum....if a mod wants to move it to history, please do.
    "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

  • #2
    Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
    That's good news to many folks here, and to the memory of Mr. Bill Burgess, who stressed that ol' Tyrus hadn't been given a fair shake by most biographers.
    I think a good portion of it is the damage done by Stump. Cobb is also someone who did some things that I wish he didn't but they usually have at least some small morsel of justification. Unfortunately to some, he's simply become nothing more than a violent racist bordering on insanity.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
      "

      Cobb "comes across as less odious and more interesting than his sinister reputation in this energetic biography," says a Publishers Weekly review.


      .
      He did 30 years ago in his bio by Charles Alexander.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm looking forward to reading it and learning more about him.
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
          He did 30 years ago in his bio by Charles Alexander.
          Leehrsen calls Alexander out quite a bit for major errors, most prominently that the black bellboy and black night watchman that Cobb got in a fight with were in fact....white. That changes things QUITE a bit.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I had a short discussion with Leehrsen on a baseball book Facebook page. He said he had access to letters and documents that no one had access to before.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OleMissCub View Post
              Leehrsen calls Alexander out quite a bit for major errors, most prominently that the black bellboy and black night watchman that Cobb got in a fight with were in fact....white. That changes things QUITE a bit.
              It will be worth checking out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Also just read in the book that there is a good chance that the whole "Cobb attacked black groundskeeper then choked his wife story" was a complete fabrication by Tigers catcher Charlie Schmidt, whom Cobb had been in an ongoing series of fights with. The only "witness" to the incident was Schmidt himself. The supposed victims never said anything nor did anyone else.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hopefully this book is a balanced approach to Cobb. I don't mind it tackling the race and spiking issues (true, untrue, fabricated, hidden, whatever), but I think one chapter is plenty. I know that Jefferson and Napoleon were racists, but I don't pick up a book on them to see 6 chapters of it.

                  Cobb only has a book because he was a baseball player and that is what 75% of the book should cover.
                  "It's better to look good, than be good."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by drstrangelove View Post
                    Hopefully this book is a balanced approach to Cobb. I don't mind it tackling the race and spiking issues (true, untrue, fabricated, hidden, whatever), but I think one chapter is plenty. I know that Jefferson and Napoleon were racists, but I don't pick up a book on them to see 6 chapters of it.

                    Cobb only has a book because he was a baseball player and that is what 75% of the book should cover.
                    I agree, but if he has new information as he says he does, by all means let's see it, good or bad. I wonder what's in these heretofore unseen letters and documents.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by drstrangelove View Post
                      Hopefully this book is a balanced approach to Cobb. I don't mind it tackling the race and spiking issues (true, untrue, fabricated, hidden, whatever), but I think one chapter is plenty. I know that Jefferson and Napoleon were racists, but I don't pick up a book on them to see 6 chapters of it.

                      Cobb only has a book because he was a baseball player and that is what 75% of the book should cover.
                      75% or more is definitely baseball.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just came across a quote in the book that was referenced to a Mr. Bill Burgess :-) on the site "Baseball-Fever".
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Author Charles Leerhsen said this on television today about Ty Cobb:

                          "He is the most exciting baseball player of all time."
                          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                            Author Charles Leerhsen said this on television today about Ty Cobb:

                            "He is the most exciting baseball player of all time."
                            Hard to argue with that. It was often said that "Cobb taking a walk was more exciting than a Babe Ruth homerun."

                            Seeing Cobb play a game in his prime would certainly be my baseball time machine request.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wonder if John Thorn will retract his comments about Ty Cobb he made in Ken Burns Baseball documentary?
                              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-20-2015, 07:46 PM.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X