Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeshade
    replied
    The book "The Pitch That Killed" about Ray Chapman and Carl Mays would make a tremendous film. Also the mysterious death of Ed Delahanty back in 1903 would be a good 'whodunit'. Drunk ballplayer meets Niagara Falls after being tossed off a train. There was a lot of unanswered questions about what really happened.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    I'd like to see an eye-opening one about someone whose troubles weren't ever really addressed. I'm thinking King Kelly, Rube Waddell, or Mike Donlin.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    A Sammy Sosa true to life story would be amazing.

Real life vampire
    Harem photo
    PEDS

Corrupt judges
    Posse
    Wife beating with rum bottle
    Racial discord
    Forgetting how to speak English with Congress
    Corked bat
    Ditching team
    Lost cash for drugs/gambling
    Two faced

Heck, you could even throw in the HR race if you wished.
    My mom was a very intuitive person - she absolutely LOATHED Sosa even back when he was the media's little darling. I mean most people here didn't like him because he was a Cubbie and was chasing Mac - but she just knew right from the start something about him wasn't on the up-and-up.

That would be an interesting one.

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Maybe real vampires and zombies should start suing.
    A Sammy Sosa true to life story would be amazing.

Real life vampire
    Harem photo
    PEDS

Corrupt judges
    Posse
    Wife beating with rum bottle
    Racial discord
    Forgetting how to speak English with Congress
    Corked bat
    Ditching team
    Lost cash for drugs/gambling
    Two faced

Heck, you could even throw in the HR race if you wished.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    What about Zack Greinke?
    Yeah - the turnaround makes for a nicer Hollywood story than the guys like Greene who couldn't/didn't overcome.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Mingo View Post
    Agree 100%. This is why there are dozens of crappy movies about zombies and vampires but very few good sports films ever get made.
    Maybe real vampires and zombies should start suing.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    who I DON'T want to see or hear any more about:
    1) Cobb
    2) Ruth
    3) The Black Sox
    4) Ted Williams

possibilities that I might like:
    1) Earl Weaver
    2) Stan Musial (probably pretty boring but that's OK)
    3) Bill James
    4) Pete Reiser
    5) Herb Score
    6) Paul Waner
    7) the 1954 Indians
    8) The Go-Go White Sox
    9) The Boyers
    10) the first All-Star Game (1933)
    11) the first world series (1903)
    12) The New York Mets 1962-1968
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by Gold Pinstripes View Post
    It was announced in June the same company which produced "42" will be doing a feature film on the legendary Clemente.
    Clemente is an all time favorite of mine but he made some serious errors in judgement that led to his own death

I don't claim 100% accurate recall from the Bio I read 10-12 years ago, but

1) he did not add himself as security to a plane of items going to Nicaragua but tried to do something on his own, although he knew nothing about airplanes, airplane and flight safety etc
    2) he commandeered an old airplane in poor shape that had not been used in a while that was just sitting on the side of an airport, it was not a wise choice
    3) he found a pilot who might be able to fly the plane but the pilot was not particularly good and had little or no experience with the airplane, it was not a wise choice
    4) the plane was WAY overloaded - way too much weight
    5) even then, the weight was not distributed properly, the plane was even seen bulging in an odd way on the runway
    6) the plane had difficulty starting and firing properly
    7) etc etc

for all his desire to help earthquake victims which was very commendable, he made a series of very poor and odd choices that led directly to his death

Leave a comment:

• Death to Crawling Things
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Good call on Feller, Dude. He always downplayed his WWII service, saying "I'm not a hero, just a survivor. The heroes didn't come back".
    Seems like a lot of WWII guys say things like that. I always love how modestly they play down what they did. (even though I will admire them for what they did nonetheless)

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Veeck biopic if only to see Comiskey Park digitally recreated.
    They would need to be careful about recreating the textures of the mold growing on the place.

And, yes, I did visit the park many times. When I was a boy, my mother starting taking us to County Stadium to see the White Sox because she hated Comiskey so much. Still visited now and again up to seeing McGwire and Canseco's A's visit not long before the demolition. Sorry to insult anybody who liked the place, but I always thought it was just a dismal stadium.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a Durocher flick could be very entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Veeck biopic if only to see Comiskey Park digitally recreated.

Leave a comment:

• Eyeshade
    replied
    Ok, not a player but a Bill Veeck bio could be really pretty entertaining. An amazing guy with a full and interesting life. Hung out with some pretty interesting folks including Hollywood types and gangsters. Grew up in the game, served in the War, lost a leg, integrated the AL, wanted to have a team made largely of Negro League stars, owned three teams, Eddie Gaedel, Disco demolition night, smart as hell too. I don't know who could play him, but it would be a great movie.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    It wasn't any believable then. Same thing with Gary Cooper playing Gehrig. History is not kind to those old films.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Dude's too old.
    They can work wonders in Hollywood. When Charles Lindbergh made his famous flight across the Atlantic, he was 25. When Jimmy Stewart played him in "Spirit Of St. Louis", he was 49.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Dude's too old.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X