Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cod
    replied
    I'd like to see something on Jeremiah Dennis Denny (aka Jerry Denny), who was the last MLB player to play without a glove. More than that, he live a very interesting "double life" where he played college ball and pro ball at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Russ
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
    There's a movie coming out next year based on the book The Catcher Was a Spy based on Moe Berg's life.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    Nah, it's too corny, nobody'd ever believe it ...

Hank Greenberg 1945: after four years in the service, he went from a US Army Air uniform in June to a Detroit Tigers uniform in July to a pennant-clinching grand slam on the final day of the season in September.
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 09-10-2016, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    Robert Redford would have been great as Christy Mathewson.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.
    I didn't say it was a good movie. I got the impression from your post that you didn't know it existed.

Leave a comment:

• abolishthedh
    replied
    Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.

Leave a comment:

• abolishthedh
    replied
    Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.

Leave a comment:

• brewcrew82
    replied
    Old Hoss Radbourn
    Moe Berg

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    They would need to be careful about recreating the textures of the mold growing on the place.

And, yes, I did visit the park many times. When I was a boy, my mother starting taking us to County Stadium to see the White Sox because she hated Comiskey so much. Still visited now and again up to seeing McGwire and Canseco's A's visit not long before the demolition. Sorry to insult anybody who liked the place, but I always thought it was just a dismal stadium.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a Durocher flick could be very entertaining.
    It's Hollywood, so there's no question Comiskey would still be the "Baseball Palace of the World".

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Forget the NFL's Concussion, how about a movie based on Selig's commissionership - the coup to put himself in power, the self-serving Brewers nepotism, leading the owners to force the players' strike, the ASG cancellation, his repeated imitation of the NFL (wild card, interleague play), his lack of good faith in dealing with Pete Rose, his PED cover-up, his phony contraction threat and the on-going, league-wide stadium swindle using "Chicken Little"-based threats, his threats of lawsuits against small-time bloggers who used team logos, the Expos' fiasco (and ownership carousel) and his general unwillingness to address real issues while manufacturing false ones. The past quarter century of baseball is one giant vacuum of leadership, but since the sport (as most ventures in the entertainment industry) is making record profits, the assumption is that Selig drove the profit engine (which is questionable, to say the least.)

If we're going for a player, I vote for King Kelly, John McGraw or Carl Mays.

Leave a comment:

• Eyeshade
    replied
    The book "The Pitch That Killed" about Ray Chapman and Carl Mays would make a tremendous film. Also the mysterious death of Ed Delahanty back in 1903 would be a good 'whodunit'. Drunk ballplayer meets Niagara Falls after being tossed off a train. There was a lot of unanswered questions about what really happened.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    I'd like to see an eye-opening one about someone whose troubles weren't ever really addressed. I'm thinking King Kelly, Rube Waddell, or Mike Donlin.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    A Sammy Sosa true to life story would be amazing.

Real life vampire
    Harem photo
    PEDS

Corrupt judges
    Posse
    Wife beating with rum bottle
    Racial discord
    Forgetting how to speak English with Congress
    Corked bat
    Ditching team
    Lost cash for drugs/gambling
    Two faced

Heck, you could even throw in the HR race if you wished.
    My mom was a very intuitive person - she absolutely LOATHED Sosa even back when he was the media's little darling. I mean most people here didn't like him because he was a Cubbie and was chasing Mac - but she just knew right from the start something about him wasn't on the up-and-up.

That would be an interesting one.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X