Players Who Deserve Their Own Biopics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Good call on Feller, Dude. He always downplayed his WWII service, saying "I'm not a hero, just a survivor. The heroes didn't come back".
    Seems like a lot of WWII guys say things like that. I always love how modestly they play down what they did. (even though I will admire them for what they did nonetheless)

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Pinstripes View Post
      It was announced in June the same company which produced "42" will be doing a feature film on the legendary Clemente.
      Clemente is an all time favorite of mine but he made some serious errors in judgement that led to his own death

I don't claim 100% accurate recall from the Bio I read 10-12 years ago, but

1) he did not add himself as security to a plane of items going to Nicaragua but tried to do something on his own, although he knew nothing about airplanes, airplane and flight safety etc
      2) he commandeered an old airplane in poor shape that had not been used in a while that was just sitting on the side of an airport, it was not a wise choice
      3) he found a pilot who might be able to fly the plane but the pilot was not particularly good and had little or no experience with the airplane, it was not a wise choice
      4) the plane was WAY overloaded - way too much weight
      5) even then, the weight was not distributed properly, the plane was even seen bulging in an odd way on the runway
      6) the plane had difficulty starting and firing properly
      7) etc etc

for all his desire to help earthquake victims which was very commendable, he made a series of very poor and odd choices that led directly to his death
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

who I DON'T want to see or hear any more about:
        1) Cobb
        2) Ruth
        3) The Black Sox
        4) Ted Williams

possibilities that I might like:
        1) Earl Weaver
        2) Stan Musial (probably pretty boring but that's OK)
        3) Bill James
        4) Pete Reiser
        5) Herb Score
        6) Paul Waner
        7) the 1954 Indians
        8) The Go-Go White Sox
        9) The Boyers
        10) the first All-Star Game (1933)
        11) the first world series (1903)
        12) The New York Mets 1962-1968
        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 01-12-2016, 09:03 AM.
        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mingo View Post
          Agree 100%. This is why there are dozens of crappy movies about zombies and vampires but very few good sports films ever get made.
          Maybe real vampires and zombies should start suing.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
            What about Zack Greinke?
            Yeah - the turnaround makes for a nicer Hollywood story than the guys like Greene who couldn't/didn't overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
              Maybe real vampires and zombies should start suing.
              A Sammy Sosa true to life story would be amazing.

Real life vampire
              Harem photo
              PEDS

Corrupt judges
              Posse
              Wife beating with rum bottle
              Racial discord
              Forgetting how to speak English with Congress
              Corked bat
              Ditching team
              Lost cash for drugs/gambling
              Two faced

Heck, you could even throw in the HR race if you wished.
              Tampa Bay, Washington, or Milwaukee will win the 2019 World Series.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                A Sammy Sosa true to life story would be amazing.

Real life vampire
                Harem photo
                PEDS

Corrupt judges
                Posse
                Wife beating with rum bottle
                Racial discord
                Forgetting how to speak English with Congress
                Corked bat
                Ditching team
                Lost cash for drugs/gambling
                Two faced

Heck, you could even throw in the HR race if you wished.
                My mom was a very intuitive person - she absolutely LOATHED Sosa even back when he was the media's little darling. I mean most people here didn't like him because he was a Cubbie and was chasing Mac - but she just knew right from the start something about him wasn't on the up-and-up.

That would be an interesting one.

Comment

I'd like to see an eye-opening one about someone whose troubles weren't ever really addressed. I'm thinking King Kelly, Rube Waddell, or Mike Donlin.
                  "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

The book "The Pitch That Killed" about Ray Chapman and Carl Mays would make a tremendous film. Also the mysterious death of Ed Delahanty back in 1903 would be a good 'whodunit'. Drunk ballplayer meets Niagara Falls after being tossed off a train. There was a lot of unanswered questions about what really happened.

Comment

Forget the NFL's Concussion, how about a movie based on Selig's commissionership - the coup to put himself in power, the self-serving Brewers nepotism, leading the owners to force the players' strike, the ASG cancellation, his repeated imitation of the NFL (wild card, interleague play), his lack of good faith in dealing with Pete Rose, his PED cover-up, his phony contraction threat and the on-going, league-wide stadium swindle using "Chicken Little"-based threats, his threats of lawsuits against small-time bloggers who used team logos, the Expos' fiasco (and ownership carousel) and his general unwillingness to address real issues while manufacturing false ones. The past quarter century of baseball is one giant vacuum of leadership, but since the sport (as most ventures in the entertainment industry) is making record profits, the assumption is that Selig drove the profit engine (which is questionable, to say the least.)

If we're going for a player, I vote for King Kelly, John McGraw or Carl Mays.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                        They would need to be careful about recreating the textures of the mold growing on the place.

And, yes, I did visit the park many times. When I was a boy, my mother starting taking us to County Stadium to see the White Sox because she hated Comiskey so much. Still visited now and again up to seeing McGwire and Canseco's A's visit not long before the demolition. Sorry to insult anybody who liked the place, but I always thought it was just a dismal stadium.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a Durocher flick could be very entertaining.
                        It's Hollywood, so there's no question Comiskey would still be the "Baseball Palace of the World".
                        The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Old Hoss Radbourn
                          Moe Berg
                          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.
                            Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                              Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.
                              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.
                                Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X