Players Who Deserve Their Own Biopics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.
    I didn't say it was a good movie. I got the impression from your post that you didn't know it existed.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Robert Redford would have been great as Christy Mathewson.

Comment

Nah, it's too corny, nobody'd ever believe it ...

Hank Greenberg 1945: after four years in the service, he went from a US Army Air uniform in June to a Detroit Tigers uniform in July to a pennant-clinching grand slam on the final day of the season in September.
        Last edited by westsidegrounds; 09-10-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
            Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
            There's a movie coming out next year based on the book The Catcher Was a Spy based on Moe Berg's life.

Comment

I'd like to see something on Jeremiah Dennis Denny (aka Jerry Denny), who was the last MLB player to play without a glove. More than that, he live a very interesting "double life" where he played college ball and pro ball at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                Clemente is an all time favorite of mine but he made some serious errors in judgement that led to his own death

I don't claim 100% accurate recall from the Bio I read 10-12 years ago, but

1) he did not add himself as security to a plane of items going to Nicaragua but tried to do something on his own, although he knew nothing about airplanes, airplane and flight safety etc
                2) he commandeered an old airplane in poor shape that had not been used in a while that was just sitting on the side of an airport, it was not a wise choice
                3) he found a pilot who might be able to fly the plane but the pilot was not particularly good and had little or no experience with the airplane, it was not a wise choice
                4) the plane was WAY overloaded - way too much weight
                5) even then, the weight was not distributed properly, the plane was even seen bulging in an odd way on the runway
                6) the plane had difficulty starting and firing properly
                7) etc etc

for all his desire to help earthquake victims which was very commendable, he made a series of very poor and odd choices that led directly to his death
                We weren't there, but it was a very chaotic situation, and Clemente was counting on other people to do their jobs. Anytime we talk about lack of judgment, the recent case of Jose Fernandez comes to mind. I think Clemente's biggest mistake was trusting other people, but he thought the relief supplies could save lives, so he pushed on for the flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
                  It wasn't any believable then. Same thing with Gary Cooper playing Gehrig. History is not kind to those old films.
                  Old hollywood was always really bad at the sports parts of sports movies. The Babe Ruth Story comes to mind (even though the John Goodman version is probably worse). But Anthony Perkins (Fear Strikes Out) and Tab Hunter (Damn Yankees (not a bio pic, but a baseball musical)) showed that producers thought baseball realism was secondary, haha.
                  "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                    who I DON'T want to see or hear any more about:
                    1) Cobb
                    2) Ruth
                    3) The Black Sox
                    4) Ted Williams
                    I would say if they did a truthful movie about Ruth that showed his flaws, but also showed how much an athletic freak he was early would be nice.

The two most memorable movies both present the idea that Ruth was a fat guy who could hit, which misses the mark.

But I agree with the rest.

We do not need to see another film about Cobb being crabby, and the Black Sox have been done right IMO. Also, what would be the arc of the Ted Williams movie? I mean sure, he served in two wars which is totally interesting, but what is his low point? Would the movie be

1) Ted is amazing hitter
                    2) Ted goes to war
                    3) Ted is amazing hitter
                    4) Ted goes to war
                    5) Ted is amazing hitter
                    6) Ted goes fishing

while arguing with journalists?

Sounds boring, haha.
                    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X