Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herb Pennock Bio

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Herb Pennock Bio

    New book on Herb Pennock due out in April. This should be really good.

    Herb Pennock: Baseball's Faultless Pitcher by Keith Craig.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1442252197/...I27DOU5IOT7CRC
    Axes grind and maces clash!

  • #2
    Pennock might merit a biography as a pitcher, but not as a person. As the Phillies General Manager just after World War Two, Pennock's attitudes towards racial integration of the major leagues were much the same as his field manager's, Ben Chapman. Both were Integration Obstructionists of the highest order and the two men together represent a dark chapter in the Phillies' franchise history. Pennock's attitudes might have been a product of the times and geography and he didn't live long enough for us to see if he would have evolved and changed with the times.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-26-2015, 07:27 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      Pennock might merit a biography as a pitcher, but not as a person. As the Phillies General Manager just after World War Two, Pennock's attitudes towards racial integration of the major leagues were much the same as his field manager's, Ben Chapman. Both were Integration Obstructionists of the highest order and the two men together represent a dark chapter in the Phillies' franchise history. Pennock's attitudes might have been a product of the times and geography and he didn't live long enough for us to see if he would have evolved and changed with the times.
      Published biographies shouldn't be restricted to books about good people doing good things. As long as the author doesn't gloss over his story, Pennock is a worthy and interesting subject for a biography, all the more so for the aspects that you've brought up. We can hope that the title of "Faultless Pitcher" is meant to be ironic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RUKen View Post
        Published biographies shouldn't be restricted to books about good people doing good things. As long as the author doesn't gloss over his story, Pennock is a worthy and interesting subject for a biography, all the more so for the aspects that you've brought up. We can hope that the title of "Faultless Pitcher" is meant to be ironic.
        I've read biographies about some of the great villains of history Ie: Nazi War Criminals, Tojo , Napoleon, Drug lords, Mafia Kingpins - and I've read biographies about people who were slightly flawed also.
        I didn't mean to indicate that only good guys were worthy of the close examination of a person's life that a good biography can present. It can be interesting to read about how even the worst people came to be what the public knows them for. I'm not saying that Pennock falls in that "worst people in history" category, but he was certainly flawed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
          I've read biographies about some of the great villains of history Ie: Nazi War Criminals, Tojo , Napoleon, Drug lords, Mafia Kingpins - and I've read biographies about people who were slightly flawed also.
          I didn't mean to indicate that only good guys were worthy of the close examination of a person's life that a good biography can present. It can be interesting to read about how even the worst people came to be what the public knows them for. I'm not saying that Pennock falls in that "worst people in history" category, but he was certainly flawed.
          Unfortunately, Pennock's legacy is defined by his opposition to integration of MLB. You may have read or seen in the movie "42", about the phone call between Pennock and Branch Rickey, wherein Pennock implores Rickey not to bring Robinson to Philadelphia for a series with the Phillies, going so far as to threaten to not let his team take the field. That's really all I know about him, and all I care to know.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have you read the synopsis of the Pennock book on Amazon? The only mention about Pennock's role with the Phillies seems to be a positive one ie; organizing the Phillies farm system, sigining the right players (HOFers Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn were signed during his tenure as GM - you have to give him that) and organizing the talent that would eventually become the 1950 NL Champ Whiz Kids.
            I'd have to know more about how the book treats this final chapter of Pennock's life, to know if I'd be interested in reading it some day. If it's a "White Wash" about Pennock's involvement with keeping the Phillies from signing black players then obviously I wouldn't want to read it....and I don't know who would.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
              Have you read the synopsis of the Pennock book on Amazon? The only mention about Pennock's role with the Phillies seems to be a positive one ie; organizing the Phillies farm system, sigining the right players (HOFers Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn were signed during his tenure as GM - you have to give him that) and organizing the talent that would eventually become the 1950 NL Champ Whiz Kids.
              I'd have to know more about how the book treats this final chapter of Pennock's life, to know if I'd be interested in reading it some day. If it's a "White Wash" about Pennock's involvement with keeping the Phillies from signing black players then obviously I wouldn't want to read it....and I don't know who would.
              Well, the Phillies were the last NL team to integrate, so there's that...
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

              Comment

              Ad Widget

              Collapse
              Working...
              X