Chuck Conners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Conners

Does any one know the name of the baseball movie Conners played in. or if he even played in one. It seems I seen him play Ted Williams in a movie a long time ago. I may be wrong. If you know please tell me.

Thanks.
    " One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to,
    reach down and prove something." Nolan Ryan.

I did some looking in a book about Chuck Connors, he appeared in 13 movies between 1952 and 1992 when he passed away. There is not a film listed where he appeared in any baseball related role. But if there is any refute to this let me know too.
    BALTIMORE GREATS ~~4 5 8 20 22 33

"It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts"...Earl Weaver
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

I wasn't aware Connors played in a baseball movie.

He did however have a baseball related role for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs from 1949 to 1951.

One at Bat for the Dodgers that produced nothing and 57 games at first base for the Cubs; two home runs and eighteen RBIs.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by runningshoes; 06-16-2006, 08:31 AM.
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175488/

Comment

The closest hits on that list are the John Wayne football movie Trouble Along the Way and a tv episode called The Army-Navy Game, which, I admit, I have no idea what that was about.
          It seems Hollywood did not take advantage of Connors's athletic side by using him in sports roles.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Connors gave us "The Rifleman" and "Branded" which has always made his brief sports career even more fascinating to me. He briefly played in the N.B.A. with the Celtics too.
            Last edited by JohnGelnarFan; 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I was reading in baseball almanac and I found a quote by Conners. Im not sure if it means he did make a movie or not. It seems I have seen a bb movie with him but I just can't remember. I may be thinking of an idea or rumor I have heard.[im bad about that.]

anyhow in baseball almanac under ouotations-topic oriented quoations-
              movie quotes-quotations about baseball movies.

It says " "I'm the only former major leauge ball player who crashed the movies whole hog. Accordingly. I'd act like a ball player, not an actor, in the baseball scenes, and in the rest of the film I'd act like an actor not a ball player." -Chuck Conners on playing Ted Williams in the movies in baseball digest. [1961] "

I will look for more when I get a little more time. If you find something please let me know.

Thanks
              " One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to,

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
                Connors gave us "The Rifleman" and "Branded" which has always made his brief sports career even more fascinating to me. He briefly played in the N.B.A. with the Celtics too.
                I forgot about his time with the Celtics...a two sport player before Bo & Prime Time. I guess it wasn't the thing to do back then
                BALTIMORE GREATS ~~4 5 8 20 22 33

"It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts"...Earl Weaver
                Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

Chuck played for the Celtics in 1946-48 when he was 25/26 years old. Here are his stats:

1946-47
                  49 games, 4.6 ppg
                  Made 94-380 shots for a .247 FGP
                  39-84 Free Throws for a .464 pct.

1947-48
                  5 games 3.0 ppg
                  Made 5-13 shots for a .385 FGP
                  2-3 Free Throws for a .667 pct.

Hollywood,here I come!

Originally posted by Mr. Boh
                  I forgot about his time with the Celtics...a two sport player before Bo & Prime Time. I guess it wasn't the thing to do back then

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Boh
                    Especially if you didn't do either very well, relatively speaking of course.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I'm dating myself, but I used to love the opening to "The Rifleman" when Chuck would walk down the street, blasting away with that rifle, then giving a stern look into the camera. His other tv show, "Branded" from about the mid-60's, also had a great opening. Chuck played a cavalry officer who was the lone survivor of an Indian attack and is convicted by a court-martial of desertion, so at the beginning of the show they would sing this song while we watched Chuck get his stripes pulled and get tossed out of the army. If I remeber correctly, the song went something like this:
                      "Branded, scorned as the one who ran,
                      What do you do when you're Branded?
                      And you know you're a man.

Wherever you go, for the rest of your life,
                      You must prooovvve
                      That you're a man..."

And Chuck would prove his manhood every week by shooting, pistol-whipping or generally beating the crap out of 2-3 bad guys.

It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that Chuck Conners is credited as the first guy to smash a basketball backboard. I think he did it during pre-game warmups.

Comment

I also remember him starring in a short-lived television series called A Cowboy in Africa.I believe it aired in the early 1970's.

Comment

My dad and brother seen Chuck Conners in person at a rodeo. He was really good with a rifle. he showed of some fancy shooting.

BTW I am sorry bkmckenna. I was in a hurry and I over looked the site you posted. wow thats alot of movies and tv.
                            My faviorte is still the rifleman. I"ve seen em all.

Thanks

Comment

Good memory 64Cards! I have the first season box set of "Branded" and it's still a good show today. His Army sword was broken in half but he sharpened it and handles it like a gunslinger uses his pistol. "The Rifleman" is a classic western. It would have been cool to see him at a rodeo. He was a much better actor than an athlete!

Originally posted by 64Cards
                              I'm dating myself, but I used to love the opening to "The Rifleman" when Chuck would walk down the street, blasting away with that rifle, then giving a stern look into the camera. His other tv show, "Branded" from about the mid-60's, also had a great opening. Chuck played a cavalry officer who was the lone survivor of an Indian attack and is convicted by a court-martial of desertion, so at the beginning of the show they would sing this song while we watched Chuck get his stripes pulled and get tossed out of the army. If I remeber correctly, the song went something like this:
                              "Branded, scorned as the one who ran,
                              What do you do when you're Branded?
                              And you know you're a man.

Wherever you go, for the rest of your life,
                              You must prooovvve
                              That you're a man..."

And Chuck would prove his manhood every week by shooting, pistol-whipping or generally beating the crap out of 2-3 bad guys.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X