Ken Burns' "Jackie Robinson" on PBS April 11 and 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns' "Jackie Robinson" on PBS April 11 and 12

I know that Burns' work can be a polarizing topic for some as far as his POV and accuracy go, but the man is the gold standard of documentarians around today.
    http://kenburns.com/films/jackie-robinson/

Correct all the way around, Eyeshade. Burns takes a global view on very large topics, and my guess is that his take on Jackie R will amount to how Jackie set the table (no pun intended) for the entire civil rights movement over the next 20 years. I doubt very much he keeps it to baseball, since he has already done a doc on baseball. If he limited the scope of this doc to baseball then he would call it The 11th Inning (or something) in the name of consistency of his other baseball projects. The topic deserves the global viewpoint, and if that POV bothers anyone, so be it.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Jackie Robinson transcends baseball. He's part of our history, and definitely worthy of an in-depth documentary treatment. I'm looking forward to it.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

He won't keep it to baseball, nor should he because the program is about Jackie Robinson's entire life. I'm looking forward to it as well. However, his Baseball documentary covered so much about him already. I hope this new program isn't just a re-hash of what he's already done.

I'm not into everything Burns has done but I liked The Civil War, Baseball and The War. If someone else wants to do a documentary on Jackie Robinson or baseball, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
          If someone else wants to do a documentary on Jackie Robinson or baseball, that would be great.
          Unfortunately, it just seems like Burns is the only guy getting stuff greenlit.
          The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
            I don't know about that. It's in several parts but here is a documentary someone posted in this thread. Post #2.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...87#post2228087

Comment

There's this too...it may still be in a theater or two.
              http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...iler/80504850/

Comment

Has PBS ever shown a baseball program that didn't have a Ken Burns connection?
                The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Has PBS ever shown a baseball program that didn't have a Ken Burns connection?
                  I guess PBS depends on your local PBS station. In other words, what my station shows may not necessarily be on your channel.

But as far as my local station. the last I recall was a program back in the 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                    I guess PBS depends on your local PBS station. In other words, what my station shows may not necessarily be on your channel.

But as far as my local station. the last I recall was a program back in the 1980s.
                    Same thing here in Cleveland. Our PBS station, WVIZ, in the past has aired a couple of locally produced docs...both in the 90's. One was on "League Park, the other was on Mel Harder." Produced by the same people and aired on the station.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X