New Baseball Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Baseball Book Reviews

To make for easier reading and to shorten this page I have deleted Garth Woolsey's review. It was originally shown in its entirety on this page but I have made an edit in recognition of possible copyright violations. I have, of course, provided the link.

Last edited by 125osprey; 06-24-2006, 12:10 PM.
    1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

No offense, but...

It's poor online manners to quote an ENTIRE newspaper article in an online forum. It's also a copyright infringement.

You would've been safer just providing the URL to the article and quoted the first sentence or two...

Comment

Excuse me. I quoted the article and gave credit to the author. I also provided a direct link to the article in question. I thought I was diligently following the proper procedure.

There is no copyright infringement, I believe, if the article is in the public domain and if sources are quoted. However, I may be wrong. I have written to the Star for clarification. Show me legislation indicating that I did something illegal and I'll demonstrate more caution in the future. In the meantime, I have, out of respect for the law, removed the article.

Quoting an entire article is not, in my opinion, in poor form nor is it a show of intentional bad manners. However, my opinion on this matter may find itself solidly in the minority. I can't say that I really appreciated the Emily Post-like scolding my "poor manners" but I'll respect your point of view (which doesn't seem unreasonable) about the use of printed material. Thanks for bringing to my attention that I may have infringed upon a copyright.
      Last edited by 125osprey; 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM.

Comment

when i open a thread i hope to find the opinions of bbf members not just a fully quoted article or a link to one - otherwise what's the sense? anyone here can open a newspaper

Comment

The book club to which I belong offers, at a discount, Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong and I was thinking of ordering it. I like the title - it is intriguing that some of the things I take for granted about baseball might be incorrect. I am not a sabermetician (is that the right word?) but I am up for a challenge. Has anyone read it?

Comment

It's a good book, and ignore the subtitle.

Quoting an entire article is in fact a violation of copyright law:
            http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#102

A newspaper is not "public domain".

The short rule it that anything that bears originality in expression is protected. Go to the above link for the long rules.

What does help you is "fair use", but you can only quote that if it's relevant to something else that you are expressing.
            Author of THE BOOK -- Playing The Percentages In Baseball

Comment

Yes, and according to the Toronto Star's legal department even a link to an article is subject to copyright laws. In this case, they gave me permission to provide a link for free for one month. After a month I am expected to pay a small fee.

This is from their legal office:

You may link to the article free of charge for one month. Please indicate your intentions should you wish to post the article independently on your site for a longer period of time. Please note a copyright
              fee will apply.

Comment

What they would get you on if you quoted the entire article is "4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work." One could argue that by quoting the entire article you basically eliminated the need to either buy the product or go to the site where the product is. Both actions are generally actions that create value. Well that and you quoted the entire copyrighted material.

I always found the link issue a bit amusing and kind of silly. I think they are a bit over-protective when it comes to links. I'm guessing that they are trying to protect their place as the holder and provider of the information. If they don't then somebody else can simply come along and start say the Chicago Daily Examiner and all it be is links to Tribune and Sun-Times articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                  What they would get you on if you quoted the entire article is "4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work." One could argue that by quoting the entire article you basically eliminated the need to either buy the product or go to the site where the product is. Both actions are generally actions that create value. Well that and you quoted the entire copyrighted material.

I always found the link issue a bit amusing and kind of silly. I think they are a bit over-protective when it comes to links. I'm guessing that they are trying to protect their place as the holder and provider of the information. If they don't then somebody else can simply come along and start say the Chicago Daily Examiner and all it be is links to Tribune and Sun-Times articles.
                  Guys, I've been a sportswriter for years, so let me set you straight. It's never copyright infringement, if you either quote something, or steer someone to the url. Newspapers not only don't care--we're delighted to have the exposure. The only threshold that matters is if the person is attempting to make money on the reproduction. Many papers now charge viewers for the right to see articles in their entirety...
                  Thanks for listening!

freak

Comment

The link thing is ridiculous. Just because a lawyer says that you have to pay them, doesn't mean you have to. I agree with the journalist that getting a free link back is good business (and heck, some companies, like Google, are actually paid for those links).
                    Author of THE BOOK -- Playing The Percentages In Baseball

Comment

I am laughing with amusement. If I were an author of either a book or magazine article, and fans were sharing links to my stuff, I'd be so appreciative I'd thank them profusedly.

Copyright infringement? My, my. Good heavens. How violating? Are we really serious here?

Since I arrived here in October, 2003, all I've seen is links to sites, magazines, articles, Sporting News, Proquest, newspapers, and everything else.

I suspect those authors are very grateful to us for circulating their opinions. I love it when others quote me, link to my stuff, etc. Just love it. Very flattering.

Bill Burgess

Comment

Yeah, so long as they're not profiting by merely parroting my work, I'm thrilled to have my stuff quoted or linked to.

Jim Albright
                        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Would love to see some book reviews of Burying the Black Sox by Gene Carney, and Tris Speaker by Tim Gay.
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

As a Blue Jays fan, check outthis book THE GOLDEN MOMENT
                            http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/05-0840.html

Comment

Any reviews of recent books on Ruth, Alexander?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X