Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Who's Who In Baseball" - Still publishing In 2017 or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who's Who In Baseball" - Still publishing In 2017 or Not?

I'm just wondering if the statistical baseball annual directory of active players, "Who's Who in Baseball" will continue to be published. Here in the Tampa, Florida area it has hit the news stands about the same date each of the last three years - February 23. This year there is no sign of it 12 days after it's usual in-store date. What is equally troubling is the fact that in recent years it has been offered by amazon.com as early as January as a pre-order and there is no information on it this year.
    Who's who In Baseball published 102 editions: 1912 and then annually from 1916 to 2016 (101 consecutive years). It's publication is something I've always associated with the end of winter and has been a sign that baseball season is drawing near. It's kind of hard to imagine this time of year without WWIB.
    Of course its publication schedule could merely be running late this year, but then there could be legitimate reason to worry about its future. Other print baseball statistical directories have sprung up, internet baseball encyclopedia sources provide competition, and Sabremetrics and other New Statistics threaten to diminish the importance of the traditional baseball stats that Who's who In Baseball has always published.
    Who knows anything about this Spring institution's fate: Will it continue to be published or not?

Sorry to say, but to paraphrase Bones McCoy..."It's dead Jim"
    http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-...formation.html

Comment

Darn, this one hurts...a lot. I loved that book.
      Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
        Thanks for that article about "who's who In baseball" ceasing publication..

There is a funereal air in my home right now. The passing of Who's Who In Baseball out of existence after 101 consecutive annual editions is lamentable and even a little disturbing to us hardcore stat fans and fans of these little red soft cover annual treasures. Beginning with the 1970 edition I have 41 of the last 47, plus four earlier ones, with a Jim Konstanty cover 1951 edition as my oldest.. If not too financially taxing I'd like to collect a few back issues so that I have the last 51, (1966-2016).
        Somehow, I though it would always be around.
        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-09-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
          I'm just wondering if the statistical baseball annual directory of active players, "Who's Who in Baseball" will continue to be published. Here in the Tampa, Florida area it has hit the news stands about the same date each of the last three years - February 23. This year there is no sign of it 12 days after it's usual in-store date. What is equally troubling is the fact that in recent years it has been offered by amazon.com as early as January as a pre-order and there is no information on it this year.
          Who's who In Baseball published 102 editions: 1912 and then annually from 1916 to 2016 (101 consecutive years). It's publication is something I've always associated with the end of winter and has been a sign that baseball season is drawing near. It's kind of hard to imagine this time of year without WWIB.
          Of course its publication schedule could merely be running late this year, but then there could be legitimate reason to worry about its future. Other print baseball statistical directories have sprung up, internet baseball encyclopedia sources provide competition, and Sabremetrics and other New Statistics threaten to diminish the importance of the traditional baseball stats that Who's who In Baseball has always published.
          Who knows anything about this Spring institution's fate: Will it continue to be published or not?
          I will miss WHO'S WHO IN BASEBALL not so much for its stats but for the transactions and injury listings which enabled the canny reader to interpret the statistics in the context of a greater appreciation of the factors that go into performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
            I will miss WHO'S WHO IN BASEBALL not so much for its stats but for the transactions and injury listings which enabled the canny reader to interpret the statistics in the context of a greater appreciation of the factors that go into performance.
            I'll also miss it mostly for the transactions and injury listings.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
              Not sure what you're referencing here , but I think it's a similar scene to the end of the movie Pale Rider (1985).

Ma Blankenship (Fran Ryan) intercepts a frantic Megan (Sydney Penny).
              Ma says "Preacher (Clint Eastwood) is gone. child.......He's gone".
              Megan to the mountains in the direction where Preacher rode off towards, "Thank You. We love you. ....I love you.". (Final line of dialogue in the film).
              (Spoiler alert: Eastwood's character may be a ghost, spirit, avenging angel, mystical creature, or something of that nature, but he's almost certainly not human).
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-23-2017, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I got a laugh out of the outrageous prices they were asking for older editions. Wonder if they actually sold any.
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I guess it's a matter of all good things must come to an end:
                  Who's Who In Baseball - 101 consecutive years of publishing. (1916-2016, streak ended this year).
                  Detroit Red Wings 25 consecutive years of making the NHL playoffs (streak should come to an end in April).
                  New York Yankees 39 straight years finishing above .500 (1926-1964). A rude awakening in 1965 & 1966, with the Yankees finishing several games below .500 in '65 after having gone to the World Series the year before, and then finishing in last place (10th of 10 teams ) in '66.
                  New York Yankees current streak (1993 -) 24 straight years of finishing above .500. Hopefully this streak ends soon. it's only good for Yankee fans. There are 29 other teams with fans. What about the rest of us?

Comment

Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                      Not sure what you're referencing here , but I think it's a similar scene to the end of the movie Pale Rider (1985).

Ma Blankenship (Fran Ryan) intercepts a frantic Megan (Sydney Penny).
                      Ma says "Preacher (Clint Eastwood) is gone. child.......He's gone".
                      Megan to the mountains in the direction where Preacher rode off towards, "Thank You. We love you".
                      (Spoiler alert: Eastwood's character may be a ghost, spirit, avenging angel, mystical creature, or something of that nature, but he's almost certainly not human).
                      Star Trek. Dr. McCoy telling Kirk that Spock is dead. Later reversed to Spock being told Kirk is dead in the recent films.
                      The annual publishing of this was, along with my wife dragging me to the Home and Garden Show, the first sign of Spring baseball.
                      Now, the two publications I loved are gone. The long missed Street and Smith's Annual (with Manny's Baseball Land ad- it sounded like a heavenly place to browse around in back in the 60's) and WWIBH.
                      Last edited by Eyeshade; 03-11-2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I was hoping Athlon or some other sports publication company would buy the rights to The Who's Who title.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X