Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic baseball on the radio youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVS...4l-medA/videos

I think it's all the classic baseball radio broadcasts from The Miley collection.

Hope you enjoy.

At least one of the games on this channel - 4/14/62, Pirates at Mets, the second-ever Mets home game, has not been released as part of the Miley Collection (to my knowledge, at least).
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I think the same guy has a second channel, just called Baseball Classics, which has a bunch of televised games from the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
      "Last season, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!" -Jack Eliot

Comment

Did you mean April 14th? That one has been in circulation for years and is part of the baseballtapes.com collection.

Really what he is doing is posting for free what someone else (Miley and Danrick) is selling. The profit incentive drove those guys to uncover games and sell them. Without that incentive I doubt if more than a couple of dozen of those games would be available for the masses to hear. I suppose posting a few does little harm but this is way beyond that. With the market flooded with free games there will be little reason for Miley and Danrick to release new items or even stay in business for that matter. I know John Miley is stil has dozens of reels of unreleased games. We would be better served if he stayed in business and he released them instead of closing up.

Now this guy with the YouTube channel were to post something someone recorded at home and isn't for sale by anyone that would be something and a real contribution.
        Last edited by apbaball; 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by apbaball View Post
          Did you mean April 14th? That one has been in circulation for years and is part of the baseballtapes.com collection.

Really what he is doing is posting for free what someone else (Miley and Danrick) is selling. The profit incentive drove those guys to uncover games and sell them. Without that incentive I doubt if more than a couple of dozen of those games would be available for the masses to hear. I suppose posting a few does little harm but this is way beyond that. With the market flooded with free games there will be little reason for Miley and Danrick to release new items or even stay in business for that matter. I know John Miley is stil has dozens of reels of unreleased games. We would be better served if he stayed in business and he released them instead of closing up.

Now this guy with the YouTube channel were to post something someone recorded at home and isn't for sale by anyone that would be something and a real contribution.
          Hope Miley does come out with more games. I have classic cards games from the 34 and 42 world series and a Cards/Cubs game from 1936 (Mize's rookie year).

Comment

He's got at least snippets of the 1950 World Series, I've never seen them before anywhere, Miley doesn't have them or at least hasn't released them.

Is Miley even fooling with his collection anymore? I thought he gave it all to the Library of Congress, which is at some point, probably not within our lifetimes, supposed to make it available online.

And I'd wager that the market for this stuff, outside the mad monk squadron of folks who populate the history sections of this forum, might be more limited than we think. As time passes, fewer people are going to be interested in this history.

I've mentioned this in another thread in another section here, I've got a young friend who's a brilliant person, has a master's in English and a law degree, but absolutely despises the study of history because "it's boring." From what I can tell, this person isn't an outlier among today's youth.

I've always been into things like that, though. For example, in addition to baseball games, I've got stuff like all three networks' coverage, complete video and lots of audio, from 11/22/63 of the Kennedy assassination.

On edit I see that Danrick has '50.

Comment

Miley donated everything up to 1972 to the LOC but he still has the ability to sell them. He still releases a few new games each month and you can also order something "custom" that he hasn't released but has available for a higher price.

The 1950 WS partials he has sold I think though it was Danrick who sold the full versions of the partials. Those partials were recorded originally by the family of Gene Kelly, the Phillies announcer and they unfortunately ONLY recorded the innings Gene was doing the PBP rather than the full game.

Danrick is more likely to retire I think. I don't know how much longer he'll still take orders.

Comment

Originally posted by PRW View Post
                He's got at least snippets of the 1950 World Series, I've never seen them before anywhere, Miley doesn't have them or at least hasn't released them.

Is Miley even fooling with his collection anymore? I thought he gave it all to the Library of Congress, which is at some point, probably not within our lifetimes, supposed to make it available online.

And I'd wager that the market for this stuff, outside the mad monk squadron of folks who populate the history sections of this forum, might be more limited than we think. As time passes, fewer people are going to be interested in this history.

I've mentioned this in another thread in another section here, I've got a young friend who's a brilliant person, has a master's in English and a law degree, but absolutely despises the study of history because "it's boring." From what I can tell, this person isn't an outlier among today's youth.

I've always been into things like that, though. For example, in addition to baseball games, I've got stuff like all three networks' coverage, complete video and lots of audio, from 11/22/63 of the Kennedy assassination.

On edit I see that Danrick has '50.
                Doesn’t You Tube make revenue from ads? I would think that might be motivation for collectors of these to share, I’d guess they would get something.

I’ve personally bought about 6 games from Miley, Cardinal broadcasts from the 60’s. Enjoy sharing them with friends who have an interest in Cardinal history. I will agree that the market for this is undoubtedly limited and after you’ve heard it once, might be a while before you would listen again. It’s something MLB should look to buying to preserve and share with the portion of the public that has a real interest in the game’s history. I would think it would the cost would be miniscule.

For those who are seriously interested in the game’s history, if you haven’t listened to any of these, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. You will learn much more about the players, managers, teams and how they were regarded at that period of time than you ever will by pouring over endless statistical minutia.

It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by PRW View Post

It's endemic. I had guys who were my contemporaries when I was 11-ish in 1978 telling me the same thing.
                  3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

This is a recording of Game 6 of the 1977 World Series that I obtained from a lot of reel-to-reel tapes on e-bay and had professionally restored. While this game has been sold by Danrick and Miley in the past, this recording is much superior quality and uncut with full pregame and postgame. Recording is from WCBS-New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajO...nktxvtw03c010c

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X