Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wages of Wins

Anybody read it ?

It's Written by economics professors, and it debunks many of the most commonly held beliefs about sports. I'll name somethings they argue.

It argues that the Blue Ribbon Panel (backed by Bud Selig) was solely in the purpose of helping Selig's Brewers and other poor teams make more money.

It argues that payroll and wins, in all sports, have little correlation.

It argues that Baseball is more competitvely balanced then it was in the earlier 20th century, and that competitive balance in all major sports (MLB NHL, NFL, MLS, and NBA) correlates to the number of people on the earth playing it.

It argues that the NBA Efficiency measure is extremely flawed, and they show a formula that measures the " best " player in the NBA. They run it for each player on each team and the difference between their projected win totals per team and the actual win totals per team is a surprisingly small 1.67 wins.

It argues in favor of statistical measurement of players rather then scouts (they mention Moneyball).

They show real data, graphs, and tables of how they come up with formulas

Overall, a boring read, but interesting ideas, IMO.

selig has always governed by consensus - the panel may have had certain objectives but he has the backing of the majority of the owners

in regards to payroll/wins what does the author show as evidence - i've seen way too many authors focus on the world championship rather than giving exclusive weight to the entire regular season which is how it should be viewed - any playoffs is a mere tournament which is a crapshoot - in baseball are the majority of the top paid clubs in the top-15 clubs of the year - i think the answer is probably yes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X