Books/Movies/Documentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books/Movies/Documentaries

I was originally going to post about the Red Sox (since that's what I'm looking for)...but I think it'd be interesting to see everyone's favorites for....well....anything that can be found in stores/online be it books on teams/players, movies about a specific team/player or documentaries that can be purchased on teams/players.

I love to read/watch things about my favorites during the off-season, since I have more time then, and stick mainly to watching the games in the spring, summer and fall, though I will occasionally read some novels in the summer (anything, any age level, actually, about baseball).

So..................

What are your favorite (buyable) books, movies and/or documentaries about your favorite team(s) and player(s)?
    "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." ~ Warren Spahn

If you are looking for good books, Carl Dueker has some really great fiction books. Some good ones by him are: High Heat, The Heart of a Champion, and Painting the Black.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

I just finished one that sounds right up your alley: Waiting for Teddy Williams by Howard Mosher. Easily one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years. It's a fictional story about a boy (Ethan "E.A." Allen) who grows up in a small town in Vermont and wants nothing more than to play for the Red Sox one day. As he gets older, it becomes apparent that he's got serious talent, but will it be enough to take him to the show?

Mosher is a great writer who also happens to be a lifelong Sox fan as well as a baseball coach himself. The baseball sequences, especially the scenes where E.A. is learning fundamentals from the mysterious drifter named Teddy, are spot on. Any fan of the Red Sox or baseball owes it to themself to check it out. At the same time, Mosher's story is entertaining enough that even a non-baseball fan could enjoy it. Highly recommended.

By the way, this is not a kid's book. Nothing explicit or obscene, and very little bad language that I recall, but it was definitely written with adults in mind and there are a few "racy" scenes here and there. If it was a movie it'd probably rate at least a PG-13.
      Last edited by Jesse; 06-25-2006, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Cool, time for me to check this stuff out, too!

I'm really looking for fiction or non-fiction....anything fellow forum members thinks are worth reading...but specifically on/about the Red Sox or Red Sox players (past and present). I'd still love to hear from others about books on their favorite teams/players, too.

My husband is a White Sox fan (recently decided to be)...I'd like to look for something for him, too...players or the team, fiction or non-fiction...while trying to instill a love of baseball in my kids, I'm also trying to work on him, since he's always been more into football. He likes baseball well enough, but he tries to keep up with me in baseball...he can't compete. I've never tried to keep up with him in football, but I do love him, "Since you're so into baseball, I guess I should pick a team...though I know if I root for the Yankees, there's going to be one morning I won't wake up." LOL

I just want to expand my baseball "library" as much as possible, with as good of books as possible. I desperately need more to read in the off season.

As long as I'm here, for kids, I'd like to recommend "The Kid Who Only Hit Homers" by Matt Christopher. It's a story, supposedly told to the author, about a boy (around 12 yrs. old if I remember correctly) who gets help on hitting from "Mr. George Baruth"....obviously hinting at Babe Ruth. Great for kids, but I think almost any true baseball fan would enjoy it, no matter their age.
        "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." ~ Warren Spahn

Comment

I'm reading one now called Emperors and Idiots by Mike Vaccaro. It's a book dedicated entirely to the rivalry between the Yankees and the Red Sox. I just started it, but it seems pretty good so far.

Comment

A great kids book is called "Babe and Me." Its written by Dan Gutman, the same guy that did "Honus and Me." Its a story of a kid who travels back in time, to the '32 World Series to see if Babe Ruth really called his shot or not.

As for Red Sox, there's a great book called "Babe Ruth and the 1918 Red Sox" by Allan Wood. Granted its a pretty time-specific piece of work, but great nonetheless.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X