Who gave you your favorite autograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trosmok
    I guess those are the best gifts, the ones you would really like to keep for yourself; besides, I'll likely have another opportunity to get another.
    Nice Story. Good for you.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

orlando cepeda's is one of my favorites.

the signing was at a card show -- the first of two that i have ever attended. after talking for quite a while (this was a few months before cepeda was voted into the hall by the vet committee and everyone was pretty much there for stan musial) cepeda broke his own rule by adding "the baby bull" to his name on one side of an item and "el perucho" on the opposite side. he told me that he rarely did that.

cepeda ended up giving his home number to me and i went to his home the following week where we talked baseball for hours. while i was there, willie mc covey telephoned twice (he recently had had one of his dozens of knee surgeries and was bored) and juan marichal telephoned to ask cepeda if he wanted to go fishing. cepeda even asked me if i wanted to go with them.

a very memorable day, because cepeda commissioned me to make a personalized, custom keepsake chest for him. and also because cepeda was my dad's second-favorite player.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
        orlando cepeda's is one of my favorites.

the signing was at a card show -- the first of two that i have ever attended. after talking for quite a while (this was a few months before cepeda was voted into the hall by the vet committee and everyone was pretty much there for stan musial) cepeda broke his own rule by adding "the baby bull" to his name on one side of an item and "el perucho" on the opposite side. he told me that he rarely did that.

cepeda ended up giving his home number to me and i went to his home the following week where we talked baseball for hours. while i was there, willie mc covey telephoned twice (he recently had had one of his dozens of knee surgeries and was bored) and juan marichal telephoned to ask cepeda if he wanted to go fishing. cepeda even asked me if i wanted to go with them.

a very memorable day, because cepeda commissioned me to make a personalized, custom keepsake chest for him. and also because cepeda was my dad's second-favorite player.
        Awesome story, Tony
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Favorite signature

Easy.....the one that my young friend gave to me that he got from Tim Wakefield......The boy, thirteen died of cancer shortly after but thought of my son and I before he did. Give that card up.....not in my lifetime...it's worth more than a Ruth is to me.
          Family Autograph Thread
          http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
            because cepeda was my dad's second-favorite player.
            Great story. So who was your dad's #1 favorite player?
            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Let me guess.....

1979 HOF inductee, ROY, NL MVP (twice), 1971 Roberto Clemente award winner, 1951-57 NY Giant, 1958-'71 SF Giant, okay part of '72 also, former Negro League great.....Say Hey?

Just a wild guess.
              Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Clete Boyer. I met him when he had a restaurant in Cooperstown. He signed a photo for me and we chatted for about two hours.

Comment

eric gagne a couple of days before he blew the save streak
                  Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                    eric gagne a couple of days before he blew the save streak
                    So it was YOUR fault
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Luis Tiant on my ticket a few weeks ago, he signed it at his food stand just outside Fenway. The pressed Cuban sandwiches are quite good.
                      Come to think of it, that's my ONLY player autograph. I guess I don't get into the hero worship stuff too much. Tiant was a very gracious person, though, he put up with a very rude person in front of me without the slightest sign of irritation.
                      I did buy a Sports Illustrated autographed by Mark Bellhorn at a baseball dinner last year, but he didn't sign it for me in person. That's $100 invested in something probably worth about $3.95 now...wait, I also have an autographed photo of Killebrew, but, again, not in person.
                      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

My Favorite autograph of All-Time

My favorite moment came in 1991, when I visted N. Milton Gaston, who played for the 1924 Yankees. I met him in his home in Bradenton, Florida and he was great as recalled all the great stories of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, who he roomed with. He also mentioned the time he played industrial Baseball for the Paterson Silk Stockings and Lou Gehrig was on that team also besides Hartford of the Eastern in 1922, he went by the last name of Long not Gehrig. Also Milton's brother was Alex. I wish he was still alive sommetimes, as I wish I met him sooner in life, as I would've written a book on Baseball after the tragic 1919 season. The Rebirth of Baseball in the Twenties.

Maurice

Comment

The best autograph that I have of someone I met in person would have to be Fergie Jenkins. He was signing at the mall and signed 2 things for us-a helmet and a mini bat. It was pretty sweet.
                          Once a Sox, always a Sox
                          Here's to The Big Hurt, the best White Sox there ever was

Comment

I have only 2 autographs in my short life, both gotten this year, and I plan on getting many more.

The two I have are Jonathon Papelbon of the Red Sox and Ivan Rodriguez

My favorite is obviously Pudge, being a future HOFer, he only gave about 7 autograps that day over the visitors bullpen wall at Fenway, but thanks to my long arms, I was able to reach over and get it.
                            "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                            -Don Fehr

Comment

1968 Detroit Tigers

I grew up in a little sleepy town called De Tour, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and have been a Detroit Tiger fan because of my dad.

I can't remember how old I was, but when I ws young I found out that Jim Northrup used to occasionally go duck hunting on Drummond Island after the season was over. So this one particular year, a friend of our family, who knew Jim personally was able to get him to autograph a rubber-coated baseball for me as he was riding the ferry across to Drummond. The next year he took Bill Freehan with him and I was able to have his autograph added to it.

Since then I've also been able to add Mickey Lolich and Willie Horton's(both in person) signatures to it. I would have liked to have added Norm Cash's sig to it also, but he pasted away before I got the chance. Would luv to get Al Kaline's someday if I ever get to a Tiger game again.
                              Last edited by sennalvr; 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Rickey Henderson. I didn't even ask him. He offered.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X