Who gave you your favorite autograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trosmok
    I've been fortunate to accumulate a number of autographed balls, all in person, from stars and soon to be famous ballplayers. Most recent was Richie Hebner, what a character! Harmon Killebrew was cool but friendly, Roy White is a perfect gentleman, (even though he was a Yankee), Willie Stargell signed a ball he launched skyward that landed with me in the basket at Wrigley, and Cecil Cooper was busy at the time, but never too busy to sign and chat for a few. All time favorite though, has to be Dodger great Carl Erskine. Oisk and his son Jimmy come to the park here a half dozen times a season, and the ball he signed for me became a prized possession of mine for only a few months. Over the winter I met an octogenarian who is a huge Brooklyn Dodger fan that shared long but fascinating tales of the Dodgers exploits and his own loyalty with me. As kind of a surprise for him, I brought the ball with me to his home, at first intending to just let him look and handle it to feel that Brooklyn magic once again. His eyesight is failing but he readily made out the distinctive Erskine scrawl, and I knew instantly it was his for keeps. I guess those are the best gifts, the ones you would really like to keep for yourself; besides, I'll likely have another opportunity to get another.
    HUH? You mean you didn't throw the ball back onto the field? How did the bleacher creatures treat you over that one?

Comment

Here's a reply I made to the almost exact question in this forum a while back:

Great question. The best in person (non-show) was a few years ago at spring training with the Phillies. It was between workouts and many players were headed to the locker room to change. I asked a few players if they could sign and they said that they didn't have enough time, which was ok to me, considering the time of day. I asked Paul Byrd if he could sign and he said, "No, sorry. . . I've got to go change for the next workout." He turned and headed to the locker room. Just as he opened the door, he asked the attendant what time it was, then turned around and came back to sign for everyone who was waiting. I thought that was a total class act.

Bob Feller was good at a show I went to. There wasn't much of a line, and I talked to him for about 10 minutes about flying and his museum in Van Meter, Iowa. I went to two Negro League reunions at the Meadowlands in the mid-90s and the players always loved to talk about their experiences.

When I got Mays at a card show in '94, he wasn't rude to me personally, but I heard a bunch of horror stories from other collectors, like the time a guy gave him a ball that was signed by Mantle, and the guy told Mays that he wanted the ball "signed by the two greatest center fielders of all-time." Mays grabbed the ball and signed his name over Mantle's signature!!! Everyone can thank Mays for starting that whole extra-money-for-inscriptions thing that other players, unfortunately, have picked up on.

In spring training there have been a few players who seemed to go out of their way to avoid me, such as Jack Morris, Alfredo Griffin, and a slew of others who have repetedly turned away from me or simply ignored me. I think being legally deaf is a prerequisite of being a major leaguer. . .

Comment

Players signature

The most and keepsake is Mickey Mantle ball and pitcure that he signed for me when i was in High School. And meeting Ted williams , Bob Feller and B. Grimes all at one time in 1965 and had all three sign a baseball.

Comment

I'm new to the board and started reading this thread. All are great stories. My favorite in-person autograph experience was with Steve Sax. He was signing at a show in Greenwich, CT after he signed with the Yankees. The day was cold and rainy and the show was not well attended. Steve was in a separate room from the card show and when I went to get my card signed, I was the only fan in the room. So, my father and I sat and talked with him for about an hour and during that time, he signed other items for me without charging me.

But, all of my experiences getting autographs in-person, whether at shows or games, have been memorable due to the fact that it gave my father and I a lot of time together to truly bond as father and son, which is something that I still cherish. Thanks to everyone for the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbfan
            I'm new to the board and started reading this thread. All are great stories. My favorite in-person autograph experience was with Steve Sax. He was signing at a show in Greenwich, CT after he signed with the Yankees. The day was cold and rainy and the show was not well attended. Steve was in a separate room from the card show and when I went to get my card signed, I was the only fan in the room. So, my father and I sat and talked with him for about an hour and during that time, he signed other items for me without charging me.

But, all of my experiences getting autographs in-person, whether at shows or games, have been memorable due to the fact that it gave my father and I a lot of time together to truly bond as father and son, which is something that I still cherish. Thanks to everyone for the stories.
            Nice on Sax....TOUGH ONE ttm...at least three times to get him...and he is a brother of former Red Sox C? Dave...
            Family Autograph Thread
            http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

David Wright signed my glove

Comment

Cal Ripken Jr and Turk Wendell

Comment

Mike Mussina, right after he was called up from the Rochester Red Wings.
                  sigpic
                  Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

When I was 12, Mookie Wilson was at my little league awards dinner. He gave a speech and signed autographs after the dinner. I was next in line and I saw a kid sitting next to Mookie so I asked him for his autograph, then I got Mookie's autograph. I didn't really look at the paper and I put the paper in a box and forgot about it for years. Then one day I heard that the Mets had drafted Mookie's step-son. I ran into my basement, opened the box, and saw that I had the autograph from a 10 year old Preston Wilson!
                    - NY Mets World Series Champs 1969, 1986
                    - NY Jets Super Bowl Champs 1969
                    - NY Rangers Stanley Cup Champs 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994

Comment

eh... David Eckstein

Comment

Actually, I have a hockey one. I got Steve Yzerman's autograph at the airport before.

But for baseball, I'd have to say Marcus Thames and Craig Dingman. I got Joel Zumaya's but he didn't seem very friendly. Dingman and Thames were friendly guys.

My favourite mail order autographs right now are a signed jersey by Al Kaline and a ball signed by Tom Gordon.
                        Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X