new member. question about tobacco cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member. question about tobacco cards

How can you tell if tobacco cards are real or not. I found one of Frank Chance's yellow card on ebay a few minutes ago. Tried to find info on them, and found you. Can you please let me know what to look for? Found price list for this card at a card company that grades them, and it was worth like over $2000.00 in mint. This is not a mint card, but sounds pretty nice. Cant afford that kind of price anyway. Thanks alot and Hope to become a regular on here.

Is the card graded?

Can you give me a complete description or a link to the card?

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b....pl?itemid=101
    Last edited by runningshoes; 09-15-2005, 04:12 AM.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Get clear pictures of both sides. I thought reprint cards HAD to say reprint or the like somewhere.
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        Get clear pictures of both sides. I thought reprint cards HAD to say reprint or the like somewhere.
        Did you see my Ty Cobb post in your name game thread?
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
          Did you see my Ty Cobb post in your name game thread?
          Yeah, but I didn't think Ty thanked anybody
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I have a few reprint cards printed in the seventies that don't. I can't remember off hand, but not only tobacco but some Goudeys, as well.

If it's e-Bay, it's always smart to check the seller's feedback. A photo alone isn't going to help greatly with verification. But a trustworthy seller has earned that trust.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

The Ebay item number for the auction im looking at is 5243214277 Just copy and paste it into the search field. It looks like the guy was trying to be had at a card shop. Let me know what you find out about it.

Comment

The card looks very clean for being practically a century old. Corners appear good, although it really is very ahrd to tell with the scan. Outside toe the noted smudge or two on the back, it is a white back, wth white border for those keeping score at home. It may be 60/40, or better.
                Unfortunately, the scan makes it near impossible to read the smaller print, so there is no way to really tell if it has text denoting it is a reprint or not.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Emailed the guy and he sent some much better pics. He said he had alot of emails about the bad quality. Can someone look at the new pics and let me know what they think? He will email if asked for them.

Comment

Front of the card...obviously.

I've never seen one with that perforated edge, like it was attched to another card. Anyone know what that is? And it looks like someone took scissors to the left edge of the card.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by runningshoes; 09-16-2005, 05:18 AM.
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

And the back...

I think someone cut the edge, but that's just me.
                      Attached Files
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I didn't notice the perforated edge in the original scan. I remember a few years ago, there was a set which did include reprinted tobacco cards in panels of three. This might be from that set.
                        I'm fairly certain, either way, this is a reprinted card.
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I Concure!!!!!
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

i'm with ccn and runningshoes that this is a reprint.

the right edge is definately a perforated edge.

i have reprints of tobacco cards that were printed in 6x4-player blocks -- 24 players to a sheet with perforated edges.

go one step past just looking at a seller's feedback positive score: look at what the seller has been selling. many times that will be an indication that the item that you are interested in is outside the seller's usual type of goods.
                            Last edited by west coast orange and black; 09-16-2005, 09:02 AM.
                            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

I remember a book from the 70s called Classic Baseball Cards that had cards with perforated edges that you could punch out. My guess is that this card is from that book.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X