Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First card collection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First card collection

    Ok I cracked open the 1999 Topps set and found all the players I need to complete my 1998 collection of the New York Yankees except for the following, I think I will need to find these cards in another year?

    Tim Raines
    Homer Bush
    Shane Spencer
    Mike Stanton
    Jeff Nelson
    Graeme Lloyd

    Anyway I wanted to put together another collection, I was thinking about the 96 Yanks, or even the 93, I believe that was Derek Jeter's rookie year? Any suggestions for a good Yanks card collection?

  • #2
    Originally posted by scj6771
    Ok I cracked open the 1999 Topps set and found all the players I need to complete my 1998 collection of the New York Yankees except for the following, I think I will need to find these cards in another year?

    Tim Raines
    Homer Bush
    Shane Spencer
    Mike Stanton
    Jeff Nelson
    Graeme Lloyd

    Anyway I wanted to put together another collection, I was thinking about the 96 Yanks, or even the 93, I believe that was Derek Jeter's rookie year? Any suggestions for a good Yanks card collection?
    You cracked open a complete set to put together a lineup of players from the same team, same year, regardless of what year the card is?
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

    Comment


    • #3
      You cracked open a complete set to put together a lineup of players from the same team, same year, regardless of what year the card is?
      Yes, I put together a wall display of the 1998 Yankees, I still need the ones mentioned above. For example, I had to use both 98 cards for Luis Sojo and Joe Girardi since the 99 set did not include them. I just want the whole team displayed, I do not care what year the card is from just as long as they are in a Yankee uniform.

      Maybe I should expand a bit, I would like to locate and purchase the cards. I have no real trading skills and are quite new to card collecting, I have always purchased the Topps complete set once a year since 1994 and they have sat on my shelf ever since.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by scj6771
        Yes, I put together a wall display of the 1998 Yankees, I still need the ones mentioned above. For example, I had to use both 98 cards for Luis Sojo and Joe Girardi since the 99 set did not include them. I just want the whole team displayed, I do not care what year the card is from just as long as they are in a Yankee uniform.

        Maybe I should expand a bit, I would like to locate and purchase the cards. I have no real trading skills and are quite new to card collecting, I have always purchased the Topps complete set once a year since 1994 and they have sat on my shelf ever since.
        It's your collection and those complete sets lose a ton of value when you do that, but there is a much easier way to go about doing what you are setting out to do. Breaking up a set pretty much nullifies your initial investment.
        Are you familiar with the Topps Update sets that come out every year well after the regular set is produced to accomodate player changes throughout the season?
        Your local card dealer (check the Yellow Pages if you don't know where to go) will likely have the single cards you need. Also, purchase a Beckett Baseball Card magazine (sports card retailers and even your local grocery store should have this or an equivaent) to give you an idea of what prices to pay. The magazine comes out monthy. All of the players you are looking for are commons (Raines may be a Hall of Fame candidate, but his latter issue cards will probably be worth the same as Joe Average's cards) so they won't be listed individually.
        You can also go to a site like e-Bay, which will not only possibly have the cards you're looking for (eventually, all of them) but it can be used as a tool to gauge how much the individual cards should cost.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

        Comment


        • #5
          first card set

          Hello all and happy holidays. i still have my first card set a 1971 topps baseball set. its only about 85 percent complete i have to get some high number cards to complete the set. i am slowly trying to complete a 1970 topps baseball set to.i also have topps hockey cards sets going back to 1969-70. i stopped collecting the sets in the early 1990s there were to many companys putting out sets back then.
          LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
            Hello all and happy holidays. i still have my first card set a 1971 topps baseball set. its only about 85 percent complete i have to get some high number cards to complete the set. i am slowly trying to complete a 1970 topps baseball set to.i also have topps hockey cards sets going back to 1969-70. i stopped collecting the sets in the early 1990s there were to many companys putting out sets back then.
            My dad is almost done finishing the 1970 set, Donald. Are there any places you go in particular, like the Gibraltar Trade Center?
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

            Comment


            • #7
              card shows

              Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
              My dad is almost done finishing the 1970 set, Donald. Are there any places you go in particular, like the Gibraltar Trade Center?
              I have gone to gibralter trade shows in taylor michigan and also smaller card shows like ST MARTHAS in dearborn or the VFW hall next to I-96 and i think inkster road. the st marthas shows in dearborn have not happened since january of last year, i dont know if they are going to have anymore shows.
              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by scj6771
                Ok I cracked open the 1999 Topps set and found all the players I need to complete my 1998 collection of the New York Yankees except for the following, I think I will need to find these cards in another year?

                Tim Raines
                Homer Bush
                Shane Spencer
                Mike Stanton
                Jeff Nelson
                Graeme Lloyd

                Anyway I wanted to put together another collection, I was thinking about the 96 Yanks, or even the 93, I believe that was Derek Jeter's rookie year? Any suggestions for a good Yanks card collection?
                Mike Stanton has a Yankees card in the 2003 Topps set and I think Jeff Nelson has one in 2004 Topps Traded.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                  I have gone to gibralter trade shows in taylor michigan and also smaller card shows like ST MARTHAS in dearborn or the VFW hall next to I-96 and i think inkster road. the st marthas shows in dearborn have not happened since january of last year, i dont know if they are going to have anymore shows.
                  I like the shows at St. Marthas. That's where I got to meet my all time fave, Carl Yastrzemski, back in 1984. The shows in the Detroit area are nowhere near as good as they used to be, ike when Detroit Free Press writer Jim Hawkins was promoting in Plymouth and Dearborn.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks you guys for all your help, but I am still a little confused, was it not the 98 yanks that had the best season in Yanks history? and if you look here http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1998&t=NYA Are these the players I should be looking for?
                    Last edited by scj6771; 12-30-2005, 11:18 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i can sure help... a yankees team that would be fun is the 04 yankees they did blow a 3-0 alcs lead...
                      "Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished.”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        also try topps all time greats...
                        "Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished.”

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X