No announcement yet.

What offshoot collection are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What offshoot collection are you doing?

What I mean is, is there a special offshoot of your collection that you are doing, that doesnt have a comercial checklist.

for example I'm trying to put together a set with acard from any player who fought in World War 2. Took a bit to get the list, but I think I have it now, and I have a long ways to go.

Any offshoot set like this anyone doing.

Just curious
    Last edited by CultofCubs; 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM.

Originally posted by CultofCubs
    What I mean is, is there a special offshoot of your collection that you are doing, that doesnt have a comercial checklist.

for example I'm trying to put together a set with acard from any player who fought in World War 2. Took a bit to get the list, but I think I have it now, and I have a long ways to go.

Any offshoot set like this anyone doing.

Just curious
    That's a neat idea. CoC.

When I was a kid, I tried to pick up as many Washington Senators cards (the second version) as I could. And I liked Seattle Pilots cards. I know those are "checklist collectibles" but I just picked up stuff at random.

Another similar one I did was a "tragedy" collection. Guys like Lynn McGlothen, Francisco Barrios and others I would set aside.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ohh tragedy collection, interesting Idea, would have some good people in it to like Clemente.

I've always wanted to do the Senators and Pilots sets to, yea they are a checklist collection, but its a collection because of defunct teams.

I've also done a offshoot of cards with catchers in actual catching gear to, since I was a catcher in my playing days...Thru highschool, nothing further.

Comment

Originally posted by CultofCubs
        Ohh tragedy collection, interesting Idea
        My friend is doing one, it includes cards of 1960-1993 Indians :grouchy
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

autographed miami hurricane players who played in the college world series
          "Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished.”

Comment

Now thats a specialized collection...interesting

Comment

I've thought about getting an autograph from every pitcher that Sammy Sosa homered off in the 1998 season, but haven't gotten around to doing it.
              A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

I'm thinking about doing an offshoot collection of autographs of players who played high school ball in the Chicago area...two big current ones are Cliff Floyd and Mark Mulder, and incidently, they both went to the same high school (Thornwood) and both were Sox fans.
                Baseball is not a popularity contest. It's about one thing.

Winning.

Comment

BIrthday set

My son was born this past August 25th. I have started a small collection of cards which are numbered 8/25. Scored a Dimaggio jersey card which will be cool for little Joe one day.
                  Vdub

Comment

Originally posted by vdubya
                    My son was born this past August 25th. I have started a small collection of cards which are numbered 8/25. Scored a Dimaggio jersey card which will be cool for little Joe one day.
                    Vdub
                    I might actually have some
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I'm currenlty collecting signed cards of left-handed screwballers, all I've got so far is

Tug McGraw on his 1976
                      Tom House on his 1974
                      Clyde Wright on his 1972
                      Jim Brewer on his 1973
                      Mike Cuellar on his 1970
                      "YA GOTTA BELIEVE!"- Tug McGraw

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time"- Jim Bouton, the last line in Ball Four

"I don't care if the guy (Jackie Robinson) is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a g**-damn zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he plays."- Leo Durocher

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X