A Honus Wagner signed (?) bat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Honus Wagner signed (?) bat

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but I was looking for a forum about baseball to see if I could get some ideas or info. I know next to nothing about the game or the players (sorry!) just the names I've heard over the years.

The company I work for has acquired a bat with Honus Wagner's autograph and a few others - I can't remember the others right off, I think one of them may have been Ruth. It has a certificate of authenticity, which itself looks pretty old. Nevertheless, none of this really means anything what with counterfeits and fakes out there. So they're going to send it to the PSA for authentication. Or at least that's the plan.

Okay, that's all very well and nice for the company, but here's where I come in: if it turns out that the signatures are authentic, I'll be the one writing the ad copy to sell it. What I need to know from you good folks is what type of information are collectors interested in knowing about this type of item?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by BatQuestion
    Hope you don't mind me posting here, but I was looking for a forum about baseball to see if I could get some ideas or info. I know next to nothing about the game or the players (sorry!) just the names I've heard over the years.

The company I work for has acquired a bat with Honus Wagner's autograph and a few others - I can't remember the others right off, I think one of them may have been Ruth. It has a certificate of authenticity, which itself looks pretty old. Nevertheless, none of this really means anything what with counterfeits and fakes out there. So they're going to send it to the PSA for authentication. Or at least that's the plan.

Okay, that's all very well and nice for the company, but here's where I come in: if it turns out that the signatures are authentic, I'll be the one writing the ad copy to sell it. What I need to know from you good folks is what type of information are collectors interested in knowing about this type of item?

Thank you in advance.
    The approximate year the bat was produced, if it is a game-used model DEFINITELY say that, the circumstances behind getting the players to sign it, if it's not cracked badly EMPHASIZE that, mention the PSA authentication, any history/pedigree of the bat
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

The provenance of the bat is the key stuff. If you can detail it's life from the time it was autographed to now and if the bat has an interesting story it could be a very valuable object. Linking Wagner (who retired in 1917 and was always a National Leaguer) to Ruth (he came up in 1914 and was an American leaguer until 1934) willbe crucial. The most likely event was it got signed at some Hall of Fame function.

If it was miraculously sign by Wagner, Ruth, Mathewson, Johnson, and Cobb at the inaugural HoF festivities you have one prime piece of baseball history if you can document that.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X