Non-Signers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Signers

I was just curious, for those of you that collect autographs, which player/players have you had the most unpleasant experiences with trying to obtain their autograph either in person or through the mail?

It took me 3 years to get Canseco in person... Willie Randolph was a hard signer, it took several in person attempts, Bret Saberhagen told me to F-Off, Clemens was just an A-hole, I had to lean inside a car window to get Mark Whiten, and had to stand on a fence to be able to reach Bret Boone on the team bus.

As far as mail goes, these guys never sent anything back: Tony Gwynn, Yaz, Mattingly, Canseco... and tons of others.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

That's interesrting about Saberhagen because he used to be known as a very good signer. As for Canseco, I'm surprised you were able to obtain any signtaure from him what so ever.

Comment

Rickey Henderson.

Comment

I've never collected autographs and I've never asked a major league player for one. But I've heard more than one person who does seek them say that Johnny Bench was the rudest, most vulgar and difficult player they ever dealt with.

Comment

I've heard that quite a lot too. Apparently, he's just not a very nice human being in general.

Comment

I will concur with yellowdog and the Commish. I have never heard a good experience with Bench unless he was making a personal (for pay) appearance.

Jim Rice and Tony Armas both totally ignored everybody the couple times I saw the Red Sox play at Tiger Stadium during Yaz's last series there. Yaz, of course, didn't even come out. (He is a private person, I understand, and there was quite a throng of people.)

Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, and Rick Dempsey all had arranged "dates" after one Baltimore-Detroit game and were the last three to leave. Dempsey was joking with everybody, while Murray and Ripken had their share of autograph seekers. Ripken moved away a bit quicker than Murray, and the recent HOF'er had to yell he was done as a few people tried to stop him on his way to his ride. He didn't seem happy. My brother managed to chase Ripken (and his date) all the way to his car, where he wrangled an autograph.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Rickey Henderson was easy for me. Strange. He was pretty cool.
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75
                  Rickey Henderson was easy for me. Strange. He was pretty cool.
                  That's cause The Rickey is only mean when the Rickey is mean and when the Rickey is he am nice because he am the Rickey

The following players are absolutely WONDERFUL when it comes to signing from personal experience

Rick Sutcliffe (Could be the nicest guy on the planet)
                  Shawon Dunston
                  Andre Dawson
                  Bobby Bonilla
                  Brett Butler (I had like a 45 minute conversation with him at Dodger Town)
                  Lou Boudreau ( I was lucky enough to meet him multiple times RIP)
                  Buck O'Neil (Negro Leaguer with a heart of gold great signer)
                  Rich Gedman
                  Mark Grace
                  Felix Jose
                  Todd Benzinger
                  Craig Counsell
                  Dale Murphy
                  Willie McGee
                  Jose Oquendo

Ozzie Smith and Ryne Sandberg (it all depends on the day sometimes they are great sometimes they are moody)
                  GO CARDINALS!!!!

Comment

Willie McGee was really nice to me too. I got Otis Nixon once, and he was smoking a giant cigar while he was signing. That was good for a laugh. The nicest player I have gotten has to be David Cone or "The Eck." Both of them asked me how I was doing, and we chatted about weather, stuff like that. Cone wanted to know what there was to do for fun in Seattle, and he was joking about us having cars and electricity up in the North West.
                    WAR? Prove it!

Comment

I have to echo Eth's experience with Sutcliffe. i met him the year after he won the Cy Young Award and he was as nice as could be. He signed and chatted and posed for photos. He really made a kid feel special and I'll always admire him for that. He's truly a classy gentleman.

Comment

My favorite autograph experience was with Mike Jackson. I was at a game in the Kingdome, out by the Mariners "bullpen" as a little kid. I was standing there with a pen and paper when the National Anthem started. Mike Jackson reached his hands behind his back, grabbed the pen and paper out of my hands and signed it behind his back!
                        Conor Glassey

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
                        -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                          I have to echo Eth's experience with Sutcliffe. i met him the year after he won the Cy Young Award and he was as nice as could be. He signed and chatted and posed for photos. He really made a kid feel special and I'll always admire him for that. He's truly a classy gentleman.
                          I once saw him after a game leaving the park and he was on thr DL and had his arm in a sling and he stuck around for about 75 minutes after the game just signing for people. I've bumped into him a couple of times outside of ballparks since h has been abroadcaster and he is still as nice as they come...total class act.
                          Baseball needs more guys like him. Cub or not....
                          GO CARDINALS!!!!

Comment

Tony Gwynn was really cool!

Non-signers:

Frank Thomas
                            Pudge Rodriguez(wanted money)

AND THE BIGGEST JERK OF ALL:

barry bonds
                            I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

Minor League misadventure...

The Midwest League put out an All-Star set and I tried to get as many of the cards autographed as I could. At the All-Star Game you were allowed to go on the field to get autographs for a 45 minute period of time, all players were available. The problem was with the amount of people seeking autographs, you were lucky to get 15-20 during the period. The set had 60 players and of course, 30 were on one side of the field and 30 were on the other.

I got 18 the day of the game. And plugged along the rest of the season trying to fill the set. In Class "A", 98% of the players are great when asking for autos but some are tough, and some have bad days. I ended up with 48 autographed, 47 were fun and friendly experiences.

My only opportunity to get the Cardinals' prospect Travis Hanson was a two game (for me) series that the Peoria Chiefs were playing in Grand Rapids (besides the all-star game played earlier in Grand Rapids). As the season was nearing it's end, there were no autograph seekers by the visiting dugout. I was in the wrong place when a small boy asked and received Travis' auto the first day, I couldn't get his attention before he went out to warm up. Two other Chiefs' were in the set and signed for me when I called to get their attention. Travis ignored me during several trips into and back out of the dugout and never looked at the stands when he came back in. I stayed after the game by Peoria's bus, but couldn't recognize him in the dim lights leading to their Bus.

The next night I waited by their dugout again, I was the only auto seeker that night for the Chiefs. Don't get me wrong, Travis was never rude about it but it seemed like it was a challenge to him to ignore all my requests. John Santor, who had signed for me the night before, saw what was happening came and talked to me and promised to get that card signed for me. Travis saw him coming and took off for the outfield. He didn't get it signed for me. And when Travis came into the dugout again he never looked into the stands. I was loud enough that people across the way could hear my request (but always pleasant and polite like my mother would expect). Box-seat holders and ushers patted me on my back consoling me as I went to my seat without the desired signature.

As I had spent so much time trying to complete that set; after the game I couldn't not wait for their bus because that would be my last opportunity for the Chiefs' Travis Hanson. An hour and fifteen minutes after the game the last three Peoria players came out of the lockerroom. Santor grabbed Travis by the arm and dragged him to me saying, "Here's who you're looking for!"

He smiled and signed quickly in the dim light, I said "Thank you!" and he hurried to the bus. Santor gave me a wink and slapped me on the shoulder.

I've got spring training and hopefully several years to catch the other twelve players. I hope none of them put me through the paces like Travis Hanson did.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X