Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Bowman Heritage to be the last Bowman Heritage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Bowman Heritage to be the last Bowman Heritage?

In 2001, Topps introduced a novel idea based on its Bowman brand...Bowman Heritage, which was basically a low-cost Bowman set that featured the year's best players from all sets (regular Bowman, Chrome, Draft, Bowman's Best, Sterling). It was based on 1948 Bowman, with the cards resized to regular dimensions. The 2002 set was based on 1954 Bowman. The 2003 set was based on the proposed 1956 Bowman set. The 2004 set was based on 1955 Bowman. The 2005 set was based on 1951 Bowman. The 2006 set was based on 1949 Bowman. This year, the set will be based on 1952 Bowman, with the prospects being featured on cards based on 1954 Red Heart Dog Food cards and boxloaders being based on 1953 Redman Tobacco cards. The only two sets not covered so far have been 1953 Bowman Color and 1953 Bowman Black & White. It would be logical for Topps to condense these into one set in 2008, with one being for prospects, the other for veteran and rookie players. However, that leaves Topps with a problem...it only owns the rights to ONE more pre-1960 non-Topps "Heritage" type set that's widely collected...1954 Dan-Dee Potato Chips. You have to wonder what they'll do after '08. One possibility would simply go back to making Bowman's Best, though making the set not as a premium issue, but rather in the same spot Bowman Heritage took up. Thoughts?
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

I remember reading that Bowman Heritage wasn't going to be around after last year, but I was hoping that wasn't the case. Just to update this thread has anyone heard anything different? Is Topps releasing a product in its place?
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Why not just ahead to the 1989 Bowman style for 2009? They could just remake every Bowman set 20 years later. It might be strance for some players who were featured in that original 1989 Bowman set, such as Ken Griffey, Jr., Greg Maddux, and Jamie Moyer, but maybe Bowman could do something special with those players, since there aren't too many players that make 20 years in the major leagues. I guess Topps Heritage can just keep going, although I wish they would take a year off so that the set could like up 50 years apart instead of 51 years. I guess I just want symmetry.
      sigpic
      Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

I just read that Topps will be releasing a 2008 Topps Heritage "High Numbered" set this October. This set will coincide with Topps Updates & Highlights. I'm guessing that this is the replacement for Bowman Heritage.
        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Probably. Oh well. Say goodbye to inexpensive, non-autographed first year cards (although Bowman Draft will still be fine).
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
          -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Bowman Heritage going away will certainly make it harder to find TTM autograph friendly cards of prospects and minor leaguers.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X