X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyingdutchdude
    replied
    Last sold for $1,265,000.00

The T206 Wagner card that Gretzky once owned is a PSA-8 Piedmont backed card, the highest grade T206 Wagner. At one time Gretzky (part owner) owned the card, and Walmart also owned if for awhile. It was last sold on mastronet.com in July of 2000 and is now owned by Brian Seigel. He paid/bid $1,265,000.00 (not including auctionhouse fees). Hans

Leave a comment:

• flyingdutchdude
    replied
    here is the REAL answers to the questions

The card you have is a reprint from the mid 1980s and was part of a kids baseball card starter kit sold in toy stores. It is a reprint that commemorates the popular rarer cards in the hobby. In this reprint set there is T206 Wagner, T206 Plank, T207 Lowdermilk, T207 Lewis, R319 Lajoie, and maybe a couple others. The values on the back are what that card was worth 20-25 years ago. Any T206 Wagner is worth at least $100K today even in crappy shape, with most worth $250K-$500K++. There are roughly 65 examples known of the authentic T206 Wagner card, not extremely rare, but it is from the most popular set ever and in order to complete the set you need a Wagner. 95% will have a Sweet Caporal 150 back, and 5% will have a Piedmont 150 back. The story behind that Wagner is not 100% known, but it is thought that he didn't want the cards in packages of cigarettes because he was not paid. It is believed he also didn't want to promote smoking to young kids of the era. Both fact are most likely true. The Wagner is not even the rarest card in the T206 set. There is a Joe Doyle card (w/"Nat'l") that is far rarer, with an est. 11 examples known. If there is ever a NRMT example of the Doyle found, it would easily out sell the $1 million+ Wagner (PSA-8) card. Hans

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    One of the Wagner cards is in the HOF in Cooperstown. Another is in a museum in Boca Raton, Florida.
    Gretzky bought the card with a partner, the owner of the LA Kings at the time, who was forced to sell it. Bruce McNall. He had a few legal issues.
    jcox, are you looking for infor on the reprint card or the original card?

Leave a comment:

• jcox44
    started a topic Honus Wagner Card

Honus Wagner Card

I am looking for info on this particular card. I have a repro of the Honus card. Front: Honus picture(no number), front lists name and team. White border. Back: White border, Yellow add at top-"Honus Wagner Value $20,000 1910 tobacco card." The rest of the card is white with the Honus anti-smoking history. Yellow area at top of card measures about 3/4". I am looking for info on this card, I've been to several 206 sites. I still can't find it. HELP PLEASE

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X