Lucky Hit on Assorted Cards - Thanksgiving Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Hit on Assorted Cards - Thanksgiving Edition

My wife was at Walgreen last week, running some last minute errands, and she saw these on a peg hook:

e5560afdd3da7aaa9977c0fd114ca1cd.jpgPeriodically, throughout our marriage, I have picked up a couple packs of the current year's cards here and there, never really getting back into card collecting, but enough to wet my whistle from time-to-time.

I have seen stuff like the above at Walmart, Target, etc. for years and have always believed it to be a waste of money. Why spend $10 bucks or more on a bunch of pre-opened cards that are almost certainly worth no more than pennies 99.999% of the time.

My wife saw these marked down to $3 each and she bought four of them for me, a total of $12 spent. She forgot about it over the holiday, however, and just gave them to me today.

So for $12 (plus tax), here's what I got: 400 cards and 4 unopened wax packs.

Let's start with the wax packs:

One 1988 Fleer
    One 1990 Leaf
    One 1992 Stadium Club
    One 1993 Topps

I suppose it was too much to hope for unopened packs from anything but the late '80's/early 90's, but it was fun to open these. I bought these packs at the time they were issued, except for the Fleer (which never seemed to be sold near where I was living at the time).

In all, I got over 450 cards, as early as 1981 and as late as 2018.

I wouldn't have bought these, but out of the 450+ cards, I counted 71 cards of Hall of Famers and Hall-level talents. I couldn't be happier. That's a huge haul for a random pack of cards that were, effectively, collated by some stranger I don't trust.

Stars and HOFers that I pulled include:

Phil Niekro, Bert Blyleven, Steve Carlton, Dwight Gooden, Orel Hershiser, David Cone, Roy Halladay, Mariano Rivera, Dennis Eckersley, Dan Quisenberry, Greg Maddux, Bret Saberhagen, Max Scherzer, Gary Carter, Ivan Rodriguez, Joe Mauer, Frank Thomas, Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire, Will Clark, John Olerud, Mark Teixeira, Don Mattingly, Willie Randolph, Roberto Alomar, Jeff Kent, George Brett, Darrell Evans, Wade Boggs, Chipper Jones, Derek Jeter, Alan Trammell, Robin Yount, Barry Larkin, Dave Concepcion, Matt Holliday, Albert Belle, Rickey Henderson, Carl Yastrzemski, Pete Rose, Ken Griffey Jr., Kenny Lofton, Brett Butler, Bernie Williams, Vladimir Guerrero, Dave Parker, Bo Jackson, and many more.

The Leaf wax pack had a Frank Thomas rookie in it, one of the two Bo Jackson cards I got was the one with the famous black-and-white photo of the two-sport star, and I got a 1992 draft pick Jeter, which was his pre-rookie card (I think)? I don't know if these cards are worth more than $12 on the market these days, but I started back into the collecting this fall and are limiting myself to HOF and All-Star type players, and I couldn't be happier about my haul. I've added another 70 or so cards to my collection and I can use the others for trade.

I love my wife.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X