Another sports card bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sports card bubble?

So prices in sports cards and hobby popularity are again surging. For example the classic 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookie card has gone from $400 to $1100 in the last 2 years... the 2011 Mike Trout Topps Update RC (another iconic card) has risen from $400 to more than $2,000!

My question: Are we in another sportscard bubble that could burst at any moment or is the sports card industry finally gaining tractions as a legit alternative investment strategy such as fine art?

We lean to the later as sports card companies saw the way in their errors from the '80s and '90s and now focus on rarity with auto/patches where only 10 or 20 of the card was created.

Would love to hear others thoughts and comments?
    CEO Gold Card Auctions LLC.

I honestly think that there always will be some market for baseball cards the next decades but the time they are a big time hobby that kids are doing is over since the younger generation focusses so much at digital entertainment instead of analogous toys. This means at some point the base will break away. The last card generation is still far away from dying in big numbers but at some point there will be no new card collectors so growth is limited.

For the young generation an autographed card is now a selfie posted on Instagram so those kids will never value cards as much.

I think for the next 2 decades there still will be some card market but it is limited and will die eventually. The reason such things grow again now imo is the low interests which makes investors pretty desperate. A little raise in interests could kill those markets immediately because other investments become interesting again.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

The missing element from the OP's post is that those are the prices you may realize if you're selling PSA 10 example of those cards. If you go to eBay and try to sell the ones you've had in a toplaoder since 1990 (or 2012, as the case may be), you're not going to pull in that kind of price. Third party grading makes the current phenomenon something rather different than the early '90's bubble. It may still eventually burst but this is a case of people with disposable income and a desire to own items that remind them of their love for the game. They make their own logic.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
        The missing element from the OP's post is that those are the prices you may realize if you're selling PSA 10 example of those cards. If you go to eBay and try to sell the ones you've had in a toplaoder since 1990 (or 2012, as the case may be), you're not going to pull in that kind of price. Third party grading makes the current phenomenon something rather different than the early '90's bubble. It may still eventually burst but this is a case of people with disposable income and a desire to own items that remind them of their love for the game. They make their own logic.
        ^^ This. ^^
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X