Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you kidding me...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...s/extra_bases/

That is expensive...$125 for an Ellsbury autograph?

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...s/extra_bases/

holy crap that is expensive...$125 for an Ellsbury autograph?
    Wow, I got one for free earlier this year!

http://www.baseball-trivia-game.com/...s/ellsbury.jpg
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Is that for charity? I sure hope so, because if not I just lost a whole lot of respect for Taco.
      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Since it's taking place at a card store, I doubt that it's for charity.
        Guess this bothers me less than a ML guy charging big bucks, because Jacoby's probably not rolling in the dough at this point, unless he got a massive signing bonus. He sure didn't grow up rich.
        Might as well cash in on his fame now in case he doesn't pan out as a ML player, huh? :twocents:
        I laughed at the amount that was being charged until I remembered paying $100 for a copy of SI signed by Bellhorn (not in person). It was a charity auction thing, but still a crazy amount to pay.
        I'm not sure how these things work, but I would imagine that Ellsbury is probably getting an appearance fee and the store pockets the $125-150 per item. Complain to them...they might be paying his travel costs if he wasn't already visiting here, too.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

i wonder if this was Boras' idea or was this before he changed agents. That is a lot of money for an auotgraph

Comment

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm disappointed to hear this.

I keep hearing that MLB is so healthy and rolling in dough. Yet, I can't help but think that at some point the general public is going to say enough is enough.

I'm not suggesting that they give away their product, but does it have to be this expensive?
            Ken :gt

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life View Post

I keep hearing that MLB is so healthy and rolling in dough. Yet, I can't help but think that at some point the general public is going to say enough is enough.

I'm not suggesting that they give away their product, but does it have to be this expensive?
              You are right, there has to be a limit to the public's willingness to spend more and more money. The bottom has already largely fallen out of the card market, it's $90 and $100 to go to the Red Sox or Yankees games, and look at the flap over the Extra Innings Package, where Selig called the fans ridiculous. That's rich coming from the worst commissioner in major sports.
              :cap:

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life View Post

i would NEVER pay for an autograph. What happened to the days when you get to the park early and before/after batting practice kids rush down to the first row and the players come over and sign. That is what i remember from my dad taking me to the game. I find it distasteful to charge. People are paying enough at ball parks already (Boston), now you got to pay for an autograph. I am not a collector so i dont see the point. I have a few autograph picture from when i was young and i am sure they are worth a lot of money, but i would not even think of selling them. When i look at them, i can remember the day i got them, and how cool the player was. I guess most people these days would probably try to price them and get a quick $100 for them. I just dont get it

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                  i would NEVER pay for an autograph. What happened to the days when you get to the park early and before/after batting practice kids rush down to the first row and the players come over and sign. That is what i remember from my dad taking me to the game. I find it distasteful to charge. People are paying enough at ball parks already (Boston), now you got to pay for an autograph. I am not a collector so i dont see the point. I have a few autograph picture from when i was young and i am sure they are worth a lot of money, but i would not even think of selling them. When i look at them, i can remember the day i got them, and how cool the player was. I guess most people these days would probably try to price them and get a quick $100 for them. I just dont get it
                  Personally this makes me sick. It's honestly one of those things that makes me not want to support organized sports. A bunch of rich ******** that have no conception of what money really is. You can say all you want that Jacoby doesn't make much money, but I'd be willing to bet that he still makes more money than 99% of the people waiting in line to get an autograph. That's just dispicable. It makes me want to vomit, and anyone that charges for an autograph should be ashamed.

Comment

$125 is quite steep for an autograph, but I can't say I mind guys charging to sign at shows. It allows fans a chance to meet the player briefly, and get a signature on an item of their chosing.

I especially can't complain because of the number of autographs being sold on the secondary market. These things have value, so why should the player sign for free just for a fan to turn around and sell it to another fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
                      Personally this makes me sick. It's honestly one of those things that makes me not want to support organized sports. A bunch of rich ******** that have no conception of what money really is. You can say all you want that Jacoby doesn't make much money, but I'd be willing to bet that he still makes more money than 99% of the people waiting in line to get an autograph. That's just dispicable. It makes me want to vomit, and anyone that charges for an autograph should be ashamed.
                      That's going a bit far, but I agree to some extent.

Jacoby is ridiculously popular at the moment. He is a hot rookie, and of course his popularity will decline naturally. Now he's just forcing it, though. I am already losing respect for him; he is a greedy pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger567 View Post
                        That's going a bit far, but I agree to some extent.

Jacoby is ridiculously popular at the moment. He is a hot rookie, and of course his popularity will decline naturally. Now he's just forcing it, though. I am already losing respect for him; he is a greedy pig.
                        Jacoby, a greedy pig, huh? Kid is trying to make some money. He's like a year older than I am, heck, if someone would pay me $125 bucks for my signature, i'd sure as hell take it. He's not a millionaire, or even close to one right now. He won't be for the next 3 or 4 years either.

Here's an idea, if it's too much, DON'T GET HIS AUTOGRAPH. Go to the park and ask him for it there. It's free.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

I'm just glad we all found something to be negative, judgemental, and preachy about. What with the World Championship and all, there was so little negativity around here, it almost didn't feel like Red Sox Nation. :gt

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                            Jacoby, a greedy pig, huh? Kid is trying to make some money. He's like a year older than I am, heck, if someone would pay me $125 bucks for my signature, i'd sure as hell take it. He's not a millionaire, or even close to one right now. He won't be for the next 3 or 4 years either.

Here's an idea, if it's too much, DON'T GET HIS AUTOGRAPH. Go to the park and ask him for it there. It's free.

He's not a millionaire, but don't be ridiculous, and think for a second that he needs money. Even if he only makes $200K a year, that's still alot of money for a young kid, or anyone for that matter. Most adults don't make anywhere near that much. He won't be a millionaire for 3 years, so it's fine for him to take hard working peoples money? That's ridiculous. Sure, it's their descision whether or not to pay it, but frankly I find it incredibly distasteful to take actual hard working people's money, for an autograph. Remember back in the days when sports players used to be greatful that anyone wanted their autograph? Now it just seems like yet another way to take peoples money. Much like getting tickets at Fenway. Big, rich companies buy up all the tickets, and then sell them to the hard working people for a huge profit. This is the state of the world right now, and frankly it's the type of thing that makes me feel like it would be "abusive" just to have a child in this day and age.

Comment

I find it amazing that people are SHOCKED! SHOCKED! at athletes charging money for their autographs. It's only being going on for oh, 80-100 years. h

Mickey Mantle charged. Ted Williams charged. Hank Aaron still does. Willie Mays? Better have that wallet ready. And those that don't do appearances, like Schilling, still get paid for their autograph, they just don't get their hands dirty shaking hands with fans while they do it - they sign an exclusive agreement with a company to sell their autographs.

And comparing what a pro athlete makes to what your average person is just silly. Compare the average career length of a major league baseball player to that of your average working stiff. The baseball player's is a lot shorter. Let them make their money while they can. Better they get it than more money going to the owners, or to some "average guy" who takes a kind act from a player (signing an autograph for free) and then sells it.

I'm sure nobody who's shelling out $125 for an autograph can't afford it. Shouldn't we be shaming them for not donating that money to charity?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X