Be a name dropper!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be a name dropper!!

I have a small collection of autographs and memorabilia.

I have met some great stars over the years.

Most of the 68 World Champ Tigers including –
    Kaline, Lolich, Horton, McLain, Northrup, Freehan, et al.
    Other Tiger greats include - Anderson, Trammell, Fidrych, Regan and many more.

Beyond the Detroit crowd, I have met:
    HoFers - Marichal, Perry, Gibson, Killebrew, Berra, Brock, Newhouser, Rizzuto, B Robinson.
    Others of note – Rose

I live in Dallas and would love to meet Banks who lives here.

I am just wondering who are some that you have met.
    1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

people

I've talked with a lot of players briefly while getting autographs, but i don't think that counts. But since my uncle owns a popular downtown chicago restaurant, i have met Carlos Lee and Ozzie Guillen's family, who I see there a lot.

Comment

I have met Cal Ripken Jr. on several occassions. Though it is very likely it wasn't notable for him. I was his server once at Burger King when I was 15 and he lived right behind my uncle when I was growing up (In Hunt Valley, Maryland).

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Morgan at Dodger Stadium last season. Even though he was just minutes from doing the broadcast for ESPN, he took the time to talk, sign autographs and pose for 2 pictures with my friends and I. Of all of the people that I could have met, I was extremely glad to meet him. My Dad told me my whole life about how his Grandpa took him to see Morgan play in the minors and how much he loved watching him as a teenager. So, it was great to be able to tell him so.

Another great person that I've met was Jose Lima. He sat pretty close to me at the 2004 All-Star game. He was fairly intoxicated and spent most of the game dancing to any latin music that was played. He was constantly leading cheers and signed autographs and posed for pictures the entire game. For that reason, I didn't want to bother him. But, finally, when everyone else had left, I went ahead and asked. Just then, some really up tempo latin music started playing and he made me dance with him. When we were done his friend/bodyguard took a picture of him, basically hugging me. It was pretty fun to dance with a Big Leaguer, I must say.

I'm also attaching two pictures.

The first is an example of what happens when you finally get to meet your hero but, he doesn't speak English. Therefore, he didn't hear me ask him to take a picture with me.

The second is a few friends of mine that I also met at the All-Star game.
        Attached Files
        β€œThe American boy starts swinging the bat about as soon as he can lift one.” -Tris Speaker

Comment

Got Mickey Mantle's autograph back in 1977 when the Yankees played an exhibition game against the University of Florida in Gainsville. Mantle was a spring traing hitting instructer. Also, got Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, and Whitey Ford.

Comment

the only players iv met and talked to for a matter of minuts have been cris singleton and jon adkins, iv also talked to ozzie's kid for a while
            I collect TTM and IP. autogrpahs, right now i have about 125,

Ive been a sox fan my whole life, always have been, always will be.

www.soxpride.com ( a fun site to talk to other sox fans)

Comment

I met Clete Boyer at his restaurant (now closed) in Cooperstown a couple of years ago. Real nice guy, chatted with me and my grandpa for several hours about baseball, life, etc. I also met Johnny Blanchard at a card show in Harrisburg last year.

Comment

Let's see here;

I've met Brooks Robinson,Ernie Banks,Dick Allen,Pete Rose,Kirby Puckett,Tony LaRussa,Ozzie Guillen,Bill Melton,Minnie Minoso,Robin Ventura,Rollie Fingers,Ozzie Smith,and Harmon Killebrew just to name a few.

Comment

I guess I might as well give it a whirl, picking from guys who are the top xxth at their position from my lists:
                  Gaylord Perry
                  my brother met Bert Blyleven at Cleveland Stadium :grouchy
                  Mike Mussina goes to my uncle and aunt's church
                  Bob Feller, several times
                  Tiant signed for me outside of Cleveland Stadium
                  I think Tommy John, Bob Lemon & Doug Jones signed for me once
                  Mike Jackson tossed me a baseball in pregame warmup in one of the last games at Tiger Stadium
                  I MIGHT have met Javy Lopez if the LF foul pole had not knocked down his 1997 A-S HR because I was just waiting for it to come down :grouchy so probably not even one top catcher
                  Jim Thome signed for me before the '97 A-S game
                  Pretty sure I met Mike Hargrove
                  Joe Morgan signed for me at Cleveland Stadium when his playing career was winding down, when he was with Oakland
                  Red Schoendienst
                  Wade Boggs was waiting in a Cleveland hotel and looked kinda disgusted but still signed for me
                  Brooks Robinson (the NICEST guy you will EVER meet
                  Bill Madlock
                  Lou Boudreau
                  Julio Franco, one of my mom's favorites
                  I "met" Jim Rice over the hotel phone when he refused to even have a baseball sent up to his room so he could sign in and send it back down :grouchy
                  Minnie Minoso
                  Albert Belle
                  Almost met Dusty Baker twice. First time, he whirled around in the '81 A-S game warmup and tossed a ball into the crowd, I got it. Next year, my family saw the Dodgers on vacation. He was signing, coming down the line, I was next, then he said, Sorry, I gotta go warm up
                  Willie Mays
                  Hank Aaron & Pete Rose (if you wanna call it "met", you hand your item over to security goons, they walk it way down to where the guys are signing, then walk the item back to you :grouchy
                  Eric Davis signed for me in spring training
                  Rocky Colavito (back when his sig was reasonably priced :grouchy
                  Then there's the time I got Rick Waits mad at me, but that's ANOTHER story
                  Contrary to popular opinion I did NOT know Abner Doubleday when he was a baby
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Coal Cracker
                    I met Clete Boyer at his restaurant (now closed) in Cooperstown a couple of years ago. Real nice guy, chatted with me and my grandpa for several hours about baseball, life, etc. I also met Johnny Blanchard at a card show in Harrisburg last year.
                    It's closed now?
                    Shoot. I was planning a visit some time this year, and I was hoping to eat there. I collect menus, and was unable to get one when I went five years ago.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I guess I might as well give it a whirl, picking from guys who are the top xxth at their position from my lists:
                      Gaylord Perry
                      my brother met Bert Blyleven at Cleveland Stadium :grouchy
                      Mike Mussina goes to my uncle and aunt's church
                      Bob Feller, several times
                      Tiant signed for me outside of Cleveland Stadium
                      I think Tommy John, Bob Lemon & Doug Jones signed for me once
                      Mike Jackson tossed me a baseball in pregame warmup in one of the last games at Tiger Stadium
                      I MIGHT have met Javy Lopez if the LF foul pole had not knocked down his 1997 A-S HR because I was just waiting for it to come down :grouchy so probably not even one top catcher
                      Jim Thome signed for me before the '97 A-S game
                      Pretty sure I met Mike Hargrove
                      Joe Morgan signed for me at Cleveland Stadium when his playing career was winding down, when he was with Oakland
                      Red Schoendienst
                      Wade Boggs was waiting in a Cleveland hotel and looked kinda disgusted but still signed for me
                      Brooks Robinson (the NICEST guy you will EVER meet
                      Bill Madlock
                      Lou Boudreau
                      Julio Franco, one of my mom's favorites
                      I "met" Jim Rice over the hotel phone when he refused to even have a baseball sent up to his room so he could sign in and send it back down :grouchy
                      Minnie Minoso
                      Albert Belle
                      Almost met Dusty Baker twice. First time, he whirled around in the '81 A-S game warmup and tossed a ball into the crowd, I got it. Next year, my family saw the Dodgers on vacation. He was signing, coming down the line, I was next, then he said, Sorry, I gotta go warm up
                      Willie Mays
                      Hank Aaron & Pete Rose (if you wanna call it "met", you hand your item over to security goons, they walk it way down to where the guys are signing, then walk the item back to you :grouchy
                      Eric Davis signed for me in spring training
                      Rocky Colavito (back when his sig was reasonably priced :grouchy
                      Then there's the time I got Rick Waits mad at me, but that's ANOTHER story
                      Contrary to popular opinion I did NOT know Abner Doubleday when he was a baby
                      I wanna hear the Rick Waits story.

Comment

Originally posted by kjb23
                        I wanna hear the Rick Waits story.
                        I was at a batting practice in Cleveland Stadium when somebody hits one over near us. Waits came over and we begged him for the ball. He said he had promised it to someone else. So he took it, and a little later someone hit another one our way. Waits comes over again, we begged him, and we mockingly said, "You promised!" I don't know if anyone realized we weren't serious but it was a stupid thing to say and he told us he didn't want us showing him up (and rightly so). What can I say, I was a stupid young kid, I apologized. Near the end of BP, Waits comes over, points to me, and tosses me a ball. Rick Waits, CLASS ACT
                        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Dick Tracewski, Doc Medich

Hey Tigers Fan 1974, you may appreciate hearing this in light of your nickname and what you posted.

Back in the 1960s I grew up in the west San Fernando Valley in what was then called Canoga Park, now West Hills. For most of that decade my family lived next door to an auto mechanic named Henry (Hank) Tracewski, his wife, and their four children Hank Jr., Bobby, Janice and Joey.

They were the older brother, sister-in law, niece and nephews of Dodgers, later Tigers, utility infielder Dick Tracewski.

Many of the guys you mention meeting who were on the Tigers back then would come over with Dick to his brother's house when they were in town to play the Angels because Hank's wife was such a good cook. My older brothers and I, and many other kids on the block, would play catch with some of those guys in the back yard when they were over. That goes back almost 40 years now and I was fairly young then so I can't recall specifically which players that I met that way.

Also, My dad's hometown is Aliquippa PA where some former MLB players also grew up including Tito Francona and George "Doc" Medich. "Doc" knew one of my brothers from back then and attended the wedding when my brother got married there back in 1974.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I was at a batting practice in Cleveland Stadium when somebody hits one over near us. Waits came over and we begged him for the ball. He said he had promised it to someone else. So he took it, and a little later someone hit another one our way. Waits comes over again, we begged him, and we mockingly said, "You promised!" I don't know if anyone realized we weren't serious but it was a stupid thing to say and he told us he didn't want us showing him up (and rightly so). What can I say, I was a stupid young kid, I apologized. Near the end of BP, Waits comes over, points to me, and tosses me a ball. Rick Waits, CLASS ACT
                            Good stuff. Nice to see some players still appreciate the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                              It's closed now?
                              Shoot. I was planning a visit some time this year, and I was hoping to eat there. I collect menus, and was unable to get one when I went five years ago.
                              Yeah. Johnny Blanchard informed me when I told him about my meeting with Clete.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X