Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I sent Monte Irvin $... he sends my pic back UNsigned.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I sent Monte Irvin $... he sends my pic back UNsigned.

    I sent HOF'er Monte Irvin $15 for him to sign my 8x10 for me.
    I get it back today with my letter, 8x10, and a note saying to include money. What the!? I did include money! Where's my signature!?

    Should I write him a letter calmly explaining what the situation is?
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

  • #2
    Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
    Should I write him a letter calmly explaining what the situation is?
    Yes. Make sure to include proof of payment - photocopy of the cancelled check, or photocopy of your money order receipt.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      Yes. Make sure to include proof of payment - photocopy of the cancelled check, or photocopy of your money order receipt.
      Well, I'm not going to lie to you. I saw on SCN that folks have sent him cash and he signed for them. So I sent him a ten and a five. I NEVER had a ex player NOT sign the stuff and still keep the $. So basically since I sent cash am I basically "screwed"?
      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
        Well, I'm not going to lie to you. I saw on SCN that folks have sent him cash and he signed for them. So I sent him a ten and a five. I NEVER had a ex player NOT sign the stuff and still keep the $. So basically since I sent cash am I basically "screwed"?
        The cynical New Yorker in me says yes, you're screwed.

        However, if other people have sent cash and gotten their items signed, it's always possible that someone on Irvin's end, whether it was Irvin himself or someone who works for him, accidentally put your item in the wrong pile, and sent you the letter by mistake.

        Go ahead and do what you said in your first post: send him a polite letter explaining that you did send payment for his signature, and specifically mention that you sent cash. Apologize for any inconvenience and thank him for his co-operation and understanding.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd just send a money order the next time. Do you always send cash? Even if a money order, they may even prefer that it be paid to "CASH", so that they don't have to disclose any financial information of theirs to a total stranger.

          Who knows if one of their friends didn't just pocket the $15?
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
            I'd just send a money order the next time. Do you always send cash? Even if a money order, they may even prefer that it be paid to "CASH", so that they don't have to disclose any financial information of theirs to a total stranger.

            Who knows if one of their friends didn't just pocket the $15?
            Hi Brad,
            Yeah, for the ones that require a donation to a specifically named charity I will provide a check or a money order. For the ones that require cash only (Former Braves catcher Del Crandall, and Johnny Podres; RIP just to name a few) there have never been issues with. I'm actually bummed about this. I will indeed write Mr Irvin again and explain what happened. If I get a reply back, well... only time will tell I suppose.
            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

            Comment


            • #7
              A letter def. wouldn't hurt, but it does stink one way or another that it got sent back unsigned... I hope you get your picture signed because I wouldn't think that was done on purpose by Monte but maybe by someone working for him.

              PS: Thanks for the info in the PM!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by duckydps View Post
                I wouldn't think that was done on purpose by Monte but maybe by someone working for him.

                PS: Thanks for the info in the PM!
                I wish that a lot of the ex players would open the mail themselves instead of having an assistant open the mail for them. Knowing my luck I will write the letter (which will go out in the mail today before I go to work) and get a reply saying that they have no idea what I'm talking about.

                Pm= you're welcome Paul!
                Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a ball I'm collecting Negro Leaguers signatures on. I would definitely like his. But if I send it to him to sign, how can I have proof it would be his signature?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                    I have a ball I'm collecting Negro Leaguers signatures on. I would definitely like his. But if I send it to him to sign, how can I have proof it would be his signature?
                    1.) don't be like me and send cash, be sure to send a check or money order!

                    2.) You can be assured that HE signs it as he is a GOOD signer through the mail. Well, he's a good signer if you follow "his rules" I guess.
                    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                      I have a ball I'm collecting Negro Leaguers signatures on. I would definitely like his. But if I send it to him to sign, how can I have proof it would be his signature?
                      I guess you can never be 100% sure if they really sign, but I do believe in people and I think that if someone charges they would actually sign the item themselves.... :twocents:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just got down writing a very polite letter about this incident. Letter will go out in the mail today before I leave for work. Will let you guys know if and when I get a response.
                        Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
                          1.) don't be like me and send cash, be sure to send a check or money order!

                          2.) You can be assured that HE signs it as he is a GOOD signer through the mail. Well, he's a good signer if you follow "his rules" I guess.
                          So what are his rules? Any idea how long the process should take?

                          And do you know if he has any upcoming signings in the DC/Baltimore area?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                            So what are his rules? Any idea how long the process should take?

                            And do you know if he has any upcoming signings in the DC/Baltimore area?
                            Since you want to send him a ball to sign it's going to run you $20. According to the price list he sent me he accepts cash, check or money order (check & money order payable to Lincoln University; his charity).

                            As far as any shows in the DC/VA area? No idea. He lives in Houston, Texas.
                            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Monte is a super nice guy and if you put a nice letter in there explaining the situation, he'll take care of it.
                              Baseball Happenings
                              - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
                              http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X