Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funniest Card Captions and Funniest Card Photos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for Cal to be reading an "Iron Man" comic book?
    Attached Files
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Did the reports say anything about him being on "the stuff" during his Boston days? Because if this card is any evidence, it looks like he's going through the effect of it...
      Attached Files
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Bill Davis - a "ROOKIE STAR" four years in a row.

EDIT: Make that 5 years in a row.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ipitch; 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
          Bill Davis - a "ROOKIE STAR" four years in a row. Also notice that they only used two different pictures.
          Good catch about Bill Davis! It reminded me of Dick Baney. I used to laugh because he was a 'rookie star' on both the '69 and '70 Topps sets, but Bill Davis has him beat by twice!
          Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Wow, I thought Lou Piniella had it bad (three cards, spaced out over six years). BTW, if we're talking about reusing photos, Tommie Aaron's 1969 Topps card features the same photo that was on his 1963 Topps card.
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
            -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I can't check as I'm away from home, but I thought Davis was on 5 rookie cards.

Comment

Dalkowski, wasn't there also an issue with some early 1950's cards of Johnny Sain and Joe Page? Their images were mixed up with each others? Something like that....? I seem to remember once reading about that.
                Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Re: Page/Sain errors. That was 1952 Topps. Their stats were switched, both cards were later corrected.
                  "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                    Yes, he was also on a 1965 Rookie Stars card. At least they didn't reuse that picture.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                      Yup, I missed that one. Thanks.
                      Last edited by ipitch; 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                        Did the reports say anything about him being on "the stuff" during his Boston days? Because if this card is any evidence, it looks like he's going through the effect of it...
                        Wow... of all the Clemens cards I have... I have never seen that one!

Comment

I imagine that photo session went something like this...

Photographer: OK Roger, here's a baseball. Show me your split-finger grip.
                          Clemens: GRR!
                          Photographer: That's good, but give me a nice smile. This is for a baseball card.
                          Clemens: GRRRRRR!
                          Photographer: Pleeease? Just one quick smile. It'll only take a second.
                          Clemens: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
                          Photographer: Ah, screw it. <click>

Comment

Not only did Topps resuse Marv Thornberry's 1958 picture in 1960 and 1963 (see small picture) they used it for 3 different teams.

Notice the emblem on the hat and the absence of New York on the front of the jersey.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. I was going to give this post until 2:58pm eastern time. If steroids hadn't come up by then, I was going to do it myself. It makes me smile.

Comment

Ken Hubbs had been dead for three years when his photo was reused on the 1966 Topps card of Dick Ellsworth.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X