Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funniest Card Captions and Funniest Card Photos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It reminded me of Dick Baney. I used to laugh because he was a 'rookie star' on both the '69 and '70 Topps sets"

And 1974, where he was featured Bob Apodaca, John D'Acquisto, and Mike Wallace. This card is somewhat notable because there are two variations of of it...one misspells Apodaca's name "Apodaco." The corrected version is a little less common.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

WARNING ! This Post Contains Material That May Be Unsuitable For Minors !

It has no mistakes, but I always thought this one of the funniest cards I ever saw.

uglydonmossi.jpg

Comment

Is it just me, or does Bob Buhl look insane (or maybe hopped up on eight or nine cups of coffee) on his 1967 Topps card?

1967ToppsBobBuhl.JPG

Ed Kranepool's 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game card shows him with a picnic lunch, too.

(BTW, I'd scan more of these if my scanner wasn't a POS.)
        Last edited by Dalkowski110; 02-20-2008, 11:20 AM.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

My question is who was in charge of photo selection. This was the best available
          9673__1_large.jpg

74__1_large.jpg
          Check out my Twins autograph collection at www.twinscards.com. My autographs to trade at http://baseballcarddatabase.com/view...?Collection=57

Comment

Originally posted by jakre View Post
            My question is who was in charge of photo selection. This was the best available
            [ATTACH]36110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36111[/ATTACH]
            Looks like the Sergeant Carter look was 'in' in 1962!!
            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

They're Creepy And They're Kookie. They're All Together Ookie . . .

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
              Looks like the Sergeant Carter look was 'in' in 1962!!
              Actually, I think Dick Stigmen looks like Lurch from the Adam's Family.

You Rang ?

Comment

Forgot...

The original T2 "Turkey Red" Cabinet set (upon which Topps Turkey Red was based) featured a hilarious card of Hughie Jennings in his famous "Ee-Yah!" rally pose, standing on one leg with both hands in the air and screaming. Then again, Jennings ALWAYS did that during rallies. Two funnier cards from before WWII are 1936 Goudey Fine Pens and 1939 Play Ball cards of Al Schacht, "The Clown Prince of Baseball." Both have him in his clown get-up, though the 1939 card is funnier IMO.
                Last edited by Dalkowski110; 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I also remember a card I used to have of Lenny Randle attempting to blow a ball foul. I think it wasn't a true 'action shot' of him when he actually tried it in a game, but was a recreation that was printed for the Topps card. I could be wrong about some of this, but I do remember the card. I don't paste pictures so I don't have it to show, sorry.
                  Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

cant recall the player, but it said he was a ballroom dancer
                    Last edited by ttmman21; 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM.
                    sigpic
                    TTM Is Like A Box Of Chocolates, You Never Know What You're Gonna Get

http://www.freewebs.com/joesttmandipautographs/

2009 Orioles: 60/60 100% ... So Far

Trusted Traders: Mike D., Zito75, MadHatter, icecool1994, Coachsmallhead, The Commisioner, Kearns643, Edsachs1, chucksk8er, Rockhound, KidCavalier23, Extra Innings

2000 and Counting

Comment

The Don Mossi Card

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                      It has no mistakes, but I always thought this one of the funniest cards I ever saw.
                      AMC was running The Godfather again a couple of nights ago. Looking at Mossi made me flash on Abe Vigoda as Tessio after his betrayal is dealt with:

"Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times' sake?"
                      "Can't do it, Sally."

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                        I forgot the '84 Fleer Hubbard and Johnstone cards.
                        Fun, but diminished because they're intentionally "zany." The true winners here are off the wall without even trying.

Comment

"Funniest photo is the one where the photographer moved around until he positioned a drain pipe at the spring training facility right between Bill Buckner's heels"

I like that card as well. Pretty funny. That's why I had Bill autograph it.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by tony67; 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM. Reason: adding a comment

Comment

Wow, I forgot about this thread! Two of the cards I've received so far in my eBay splurge this month have actually been unintentionally zany and fall into the category of uncorrected errors.

The first is 1975 Topps Rookie Stars, which includes Keith Hernandez (he and Phil Garner are the card's two key rookies...it also features Bob Sheldon and Tom Veryzer). On the back of the card, it said Keith threw left...and batted right. Mex was of course a very good LEFT-HANDED hitter.

Number two is 2007 Bowman's Best Chris Coghlan FYC AU. For those that don't know, Coghlan is a pretty good second base prospect in the Marlins system and played in the 2007 All-Star Futures Game. Topps of course listed his position as "catcher." Although not as egregious an error as Keith Hernandez batting righty, for those of you who've seen Coghlan's defense...well, let's just say it makes about as much sense as putting Moises Alou behind the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by tony67 View Post
                              "Funniest photo is the one where the photographer moved around until he positioned a drain pipe at the spring training facility right between Bill Buckner's heels"

I like that card as well. Pretty funny. That's why I had Bill autograph it.
                              Thank you, I was afraid I was going to die without seeing that card again :bowdown: I'm kinda surprised he signed it, did he say anything?
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

[ATTACH]38196[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38197[/ATTACH]

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X