X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    This is what happens when a Topps employee is hungover.

Anybody have a card that is cut worse than that?
    I have a 1973 Mike Schmidt rookie card that is cut almost as bad, got it real cheap.

I also have the ultimate and maybe only Frank Robinson on the Yankees card due to a mis-cut. Its the 1975 set with the Team name on the Top of the picture, this card was mis-cut and has the Team name on the Bottom of the picture, and the team just happens to be Yankees, so its a 1975 Frank Robinson Yankee card!!!! I love it, its a neat part of my Yankee collection.

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    And his right hand. Actually, that'd look hilarious, as if he were peeking around the corner of the card.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Ouch. Walker got cut off right at the neck. Someone out there has a card with just his head.

Leave a comment:

• Swankee21
    replied
    I got a card like that about a year ago from 1999 Stadium Club. It's not as great as that Tony Gwynn, but for a newer card where they're better about clean cut cards it's pretty nifty for my own collection.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    The Gwynn card also has two "cousins". The same ebay seller is selling (or trying to sell) all 3.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• duckydps
    replied

My guess is that sheet was somehow folded to cause it to go in to the guillotine crooked, most likely came off the press and stacked crooked. I have seen many guillotine cutter operators who won't take the time to straighten things before they cut them... "Its only 1 sheet right??"

I agree, someone might really want that card since its cut so bad... if it was one of the players I collect, I would prob. want it.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    I have a poorly cut 1974 Dave Winfield that I got for $1 while he was still an active player.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Coins with bizarre flaws can be worth $1,000+. I'm not so sure about cards though, because there are too many uncut sheets in collectors hands, and people would probably start making (and selling) their own badly cut cards if people started paying a premium for them.
    One of the reasons coins (and stamps) with errors are worth so much on the secondary market is because there are strict security measures in line to make sure any mistakes are found and destroyed.

I agree that it's easy for anyone with an uncut sheet to "manufacture" their own miscut cards, which is one reason why they're of little value other than as curiosities. But, again, if I were an advanced collector, and I felt comfortable that the miscut card was a legitimate production error, I would still be interested in adding it to my collection.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    The majority of collectors are going to consider that card to be damaged, but I think there's got to be some advanced Tony Gwynn collector out there who will offer you serious money for that.

Not '52T Mantle money, let's not get ridiculous here, but advanced collectors are always looking for the unusual, something nobody else has. And though there are thousands and thousands of '83T Gwynns out there, how many of these can there be?
    Coins with bizarre flaws can be worth $1,000+. I'm not so sure about cards though, because there are too many uncut sheets in collectors hands, and people would probably start making (and selling) their own badly cut cards if people started paying a premium for them.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    That's got to be the most extreme example of miscutting I've ever seen. I see a lot of stuff that's cut 90-10 or 80-20 instead of 50-50. I've seen a few half and half cards like Dalkowski110 mentioned, but nothing like this.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    The majority of collectors are going to consider that card to be damaged, but I think there's got to be some advanced Tony Gwynn collector out there who will offer you serious money for that.

Not '52T Mantle money, let's not get ridiculous here, but advanced collectors are always looking for the unusual, something nobody else has. And though there are thousands and thousands of '83T Gwynns out there, how many of these can there be?

Leave a comment:

• Rpollard86
    replied
    wow that is too funny are you serious?

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    Wow. I've seen a few "half and half" cards come out of packs, but one slanted to that extreme degree? No. Definitely not.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    started a topic badly cut cards

badly cut cards

Attached Files

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X